Would you give studio 4C another chance?

Though the number of skipped scenes and mini arcs was a real shame, I really enjoyed the Golden Age movies. The CGI was bad in the first movie but it got better in the second, and was really well done in the third one.
The third movie is actually my favourite adaptation of Berserk. The mix of 2D (wich is beautiful) and 3D was perfected and got the atmosphere of the Eclipse right. It had the edge needed to adapt Berserk into animation. In fact I enjoyed the movies so much I am seriously thinking of writing a letter to studio 4C/Toshiyuki Kubooka to express my gratitude

Ever since 2013, I wished for studio 4C to come in and animate the rest like they wanted to. It's a real shame, but I seriously hope that one day they will get the rights to adapt more.

Do you guys agree or would rather have another studio/director giving it a go?

I would honestly welcome a Lost Children adaptation from them. If they better themselves like they did subsequently in the movies it could be a real treat, I highly doubt the chances of it happening tho... You gotta give them credit, after berserk 2016 failed to improve even slightly on its second season they atleast tried and had some vision....

Menosgade

Not all those who wander are lost
Gurein Mi Jaoh said:

I'd rather have Madhouse adapt Berserk. What is a man without his dreams, right?

Menosgade said:
I'd rather have Madhouse adapt Berserk. What is a man without his dreams, right?

I inderstand that Madhouse would do the greatest detailed action scenes but what about the more quiet moments? :???: The director of the movies also Directed the Batman short "Working thrhough pain", which was stellar in its imagery.

I may look like a 4C shill (Madhouse is actually my favourite animation Studio) but my point is that the movies tried to work as an anime version of Berserk rather than a 1:1 panel per panel adaptation. I dont know which I would like more :p

I would like to see Madhouse to take the rights to make an anime instead. Even tho i know it will never happen

I want to see full Black Swordsman arc. Full lost children arc.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I'm interested to see how they respond!

Just kidding, before the raging rape abortion fire that is the new series they were the bastardization du jour, so no. If I had to choose between the two it would be them, but that's not a high recommendation. I'd like to see it done right or not at all, and unfortunately the best we've got is still the old '97 anime.

I'd say no. Not only that, based on how things have gone so far I'd say there should be no more animations altogether (a new animation would pretty much have to be perfect to be welcome at this point). If the manga has such high quality, why should we settle for something subpar in any other medium?

No. They slashed too much material, robbed the characters of most of their depth, made changes that were completely unwarranted, and overused CGI that was terrible at worst and sub-par at best. And while the 2D animation could look nice, I really didn't dig the art style, what with Casca's whitewashing and Guts' pouty lips. Studio 4C did a poor job telling the story, they stripped out the heart and soul of Berserk, and they couldn't even provide spectacle.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gurein Mi Jaoh said:

Those movies were utter garbage in my opinion, so no, I really do not want them to touch it again.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The fundamental problem with those movies wasn't the technical ability of the animators. It was how they never understood what made Berserk "Berserk." The whole trilogy is tone deaf. Compare any scene with how the '97 anime portrayed things, and the difference is obvious. One is in keeping atmospherically with the manga, the other is a fucking mess made by people who merely went through the motions of an adaptation.

Walter said:
The fundamental problem with those movies wasn't the technical ability of the animators. It was how they never understood what made Berserk "Berserk." The whole trilogy is tone deaf. Compare any scene with how the '97 anime portrayed things, and the difference is obvious. One is in keeping atmospherically with the manga, the other is a fucking mess made by people who merely went through the motions of an adaptation.
And the pacing was abhorrent, they manage to make berserk boring somehow, but I don't know the 2016 series was so bad that they make studio 4C seem like a great alternative, one thing I do agree with is they tried to make a movie and not follow panel for panel. The Griffith being rebirthed into femto scene was quite interesting and reminiscent of 2001 a space odyssey's stargate sequence
much like today's twin peaks episode
:serpico:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Hey, spoil tag that shit from now on, we don't need Studio 4C spoiling Twin Peaks too.

Nothingwillbewong said:
The Griffith being rebirthed into femto scene was quite interesting and reminiscent of 2001 a space odyssey's stargate sequence
much like today's twin peaks episode
:serpico:

Apart from the assassination scene, which I quite liked, that's the only thing I really remember from these movies. That scene is really visually interesting fan fic, which only makes it clear that they should be making original movies instead of shitty adaptations.

In the current anime landscape, I don't want to see any Berserk adaptation.

Eluvei said:
Apart from the assassination scene, which I quite liked, that's the only thing I really remember from these movies. That scene is really visually interesting fan fic, which only makes it clear that they should be making original movies instead of shitty adaptations.

In the current anime landscape, I don't want to see any Berserk adaptation.
Agreed. Found out studio 4C was behind the tekkonkinkreet movie, which i liked, but i never wouldve guessed it was the same people, the animation is 2d, messy but it fits the style completely, and i guess their plot and movie making messiness works there?...

Nothingwillbewong said:
Agreed. Found out studio 4C was behind the tekkonkinkreet movie, which i liked, but i never wouldve guessed it was the same people, the animation is 2d, messy but it fits the style completely, and i guess their plot and movie making messiness works there?...

Pretty sure Tekkonkinkreet doesn't share any key staff with the Berserk movies. It's a different team, at least in terms of animation. Somewhat famously, some of the Eclipse was handled by a few capable animators, most notably Michio Mihara whose work on Berserk I've compiled here: http://imgur.com/a/Ik6Nr

Raederbow

Believe it!
Everything Madhouse touches becomes an instant classic for me. I doubt they'd take over Berserk though since they have a lot on their plate already, and I don't think they're a studio that does too many projects at once, hence why their quality is probably so high.

Top Bottom