Berserk Ending Theory

causality ate my Ψ

Professional Shitposter
I know a lot of people are going to hate this, but what if Guts is presented the opportunity to use his Beherit? He tries to kill Griffith in his berserker armour, but fails. Griffith is still more powerful. After all Guts' efforts and sacrifices, Guts' gets a taste of reality and that reality is that a human can't beat a near godlike being with will alone.

This is when the Beast of Darkness has a resurgence, in his rage at this world, he forgets all his comrades and even the reason he's fighting Griffith in the first place. He is nothing more than a broken corpse is a shell of rage. The Beherit activates, and he is presented the opportunity to sacrifice all for the power to kill Griffith. The Fairy Queen couldn't cure Casca (Note: I feel that Casca won't be cured, if she is cured Guts will have less motivation to go after Griffith. Why? Because Guts loves Casca and will most likely not want throw her into a situation in which she has to confront Griffith. I imagine he also won't want to leave her since he just got her back. I also think she won't be cured because it will reflect what happened to Guts' adoptive father) and his comrades will eventually die. So blinded to his actions by his anger, he sacrifices them. He becomes powerful enough to kill Femto, because unlike Griffith, Guts' saw his comrades as more than just tools, thus the sacrifice is greater. He is now more of a force of nature (Note: What I mean is he lacks thought and decision making, being more like of a law of nature) than a being. He, or "It", shatters the connection between this world and the next (spirit tree). Now permanently residing in the spirit world forever in battle with the God Hand. Neither to destroy each other. Almost like a ying and yang kind of theme.

Now I know this theory has flaws. Maybe instead of sacrifice his friends, he embraces the spirits of the vortex, kind of reuniting with his former comrades. With the Berserker armour paired with countless raging souls, he would be unstoppable (Let me clarify that once Guts did this he would be no more, he would be apart of the vortex like every other soul, the berserker armour is being piloted by the vortex. He's destined to become apart of the vortex anyway due to the sacrifice Griffith made). Then Casca and his new friends would be safe, he would sacrifice himself for them, becoming (again) a force of nature against the God Hand. After that everything would play out exactly the same as the theory above. Except Casca and company would be safe in reality as the berserker armour eternally fights the God Hand, untill Casca dies of old age or whatever, and becomes apart of the vortex herself.

As I'm writing this, I'm finding I like the second theory a lot better. In berserk there is this theme of Griffith and Guts being kind of mirrors of each other. So Griffith sacrificed is comrades to achieve his own goals, and Guts sacrificed himself for his own (and his comrades) goals. It all kinda all comes full circle.

Anyway, this theory might be absolute fan-fiction shit. I appreciate the harsh criticism I'm getting so far, however if you have a problem with this theory could you please clarify the reasons. Although just commenting "This = shit, ur bad kiddo, you fuckin retar?" is perfectly fine and it gives me a good chuckle, I would appreciate some constructive criticism as well. Thank you.

Later.

(I also posted this on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Berserk/comments/6t5ltu/berserk_ending_theory_maybe_spoilers_idk/)

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
causality ate my Ψ said:
I know a lot of people are going to hate this, but what if Guts is presented the opportunity to use his Beherit? He tries to kill Griffith in his berserker armour, but fails. Griffith is still more powerful. After all Guts' efforts and sacrifices, Guts' gets a taste of reality and that reality is that he is only human.
He already knows he's only human. That's basically what he strives to only be; not a monster that cheats death by sacrifice.

causality ate my Ψ said:
He is nothing more than a broken corpse is a shell of rage.
Schierke seems to help situations like these.

causality ate my Ψ said:
The Beherit activates, and he is presented the opportunity to sacrifice all for the power to kill Griffith. The Fairy King couldn't cure Casca
**Queen. But also, why can't she help Casca regain her memory? Looks like she's already doing a fine job guiding Schierke and Farnese towards Casca's memory fragments. Think it's safe to say no matter what happens, Casca will become sane again.

causality ate my Ψ said:
his comrades will all die one day eventually.
What, all at once? :isidro: I doubt that.

causality ate my Ψ said:
So blinded to his actions by the beast, he sacrifices them.
Wait, so did they die by something else? Or did Guts sacrifice them all?

causality ate my Ψ said:
He becomes powerful enough to kill Femto, because unlike Griffith he saw his comrades as more than just tools, thus the sacrifice is greater.
This doesn't make any sense.

causality ate my Ψ said:
He is now more of a force of nature than a being.
You now lost me

causality ate my Ψ said:
Maybe instead of sacrifice his friends, he embraces the spirits of the vortex, kind of reuniting with his former comrades. With the Berserker armour paired with countless raging souls, he would be unstoppable.
:rickert:

causality ate my Ψ said:
Anyway, this theory might be absolute fan-fiction shit. Tell me your thoughts and ideas in the comments.
Well, you're right about one thing

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
causality ate my Ψ said:
what if Guts is presented the opportunity to use his Beherit? He tries to kill Griffith in his berserker armour, but fails. Griffith is still more powerful. After all Guts' efforts and sacrifices, Guts' gets a taste of reality and that reality is that a human can't beat a near godlike being with will alone.

And so he becomes Griffith's minion (an apostle) after Griffith's kindred voluntarily give him a modest degree of evil power so he can try and kill them? Is that it? An insignificant amount of power that could never make him the equal of a member of the God Hand, as demonstrated by Ganishka? It doesn't seem like you thought this through.

causality ate my Ψ said:
This is when the Beast of Darkness has a resurgence, in his rage at this world, he forgets all his comrades and even the reason he's fighting Griffith in the first place.

The Beast of Darkness makes him forget why he fights Griffith? You do know why the Beast of Darkness exists, right? :ganishka:

causality ate my Ψ said:
The Beherit activates, and he is presented the opportunity to sacrifice all for the power to kill Griffith.

Someone who has already been sacrificed (Casca) cannot be sacrificed again. That is explained to the Slug Count by Conrad at the end of the Black Swordsman arc.

causality ate my Ψ said:
The Fairy Queen

Sovereign of the Flower Storm.

causality ate my Ψ said:
I feel that Casca won't be cured

Well you're in for a disappointment since the process of healing her mind has already started.

causality ate my Ψ said:
if she is cured Guts will have less motivation to go after Griffith. Why? Because Guts loves Casca and will most likely not want throw her into a situation in which she has to confront Griffith.

That's a really simplistic view of the situation. Their relationship will be more complicated than that, and central to the confrontation with Griffith will be the fate of their son.

causality ate my Ψ said:
I imagine he also won't want to leave her since he just got her back.

They've been together for the past 19 volumes, so almost half of the series.

causality ate my Ψ said:
I also think she won't be cured because it will reflect what happened to Guts' adoptive father

Uh, what? You mean that Casca, terribly drunk and bitter as a result of her missing leg, will assault Guts who, being emotionally distraught and weaker than her, will kill her by accident while defending himself?

causality ate my Ψ said:
his comrades will eventually die.

Is there any reason for this except your desire for them to die? It seems to me that they would be more helpful to him alive than dead.

causality ate my Ψ said:
So blinded to his actions by his anger, he sacrifices them. He becomes powerful enough to kill Femto, because unlike Griffith, Guts' saw his comrades as more than just tools, thus the sacrifice is greater.

That's not how it works. Apostles and members of the God Hand are two different types of beings who undergo different types of ceremonies bound by different types of beherits. The beherit Guts carries couldn't possibly grant someone power equal to that of a member of the God Hand. There is also a specific time interval between each of these ceremonies (216 years). And when someone becomes a member of the God Hand, their corporeal bodies dissolve and they become a purely spiritual being. To regain a corporeal form, Femto had to undergo an even rarer ceremony, a "once in a thousand years" event, to quote the Skull Knight. By the way, we don't know for sure whether the God Hand are still creating apostles the old way, given how the world has changed. We also don't know if a previously branded person could become an apostle (there's only one case of it happening, and it was all at once and is a very specific case).

Oh and last but not least, in order for Guts to receive that kind of power, he would have to have been chosen by the Idea of Evil, which is pretty clearly not the case. Remember that the God Hand and apostles are created to serve the purpose of that higher being. One thing you completely overlook is that beherits aren't magic baubbles you can rub to make a genie come out. They're only activated by people who are meant to activate them. Your entire premise is that Guts can somehow game the system and trick the God Hand into giving him evil power so that he can try to kill them. But that's just not how it works.

causality ate my Ψ said:
He is now more of a force of nature (Note: What I mean is he lacks thought and decision making, being more like of a law of nature) than a being.

Why would that happen? Sacrificial ceremonies don't work like that.

causality ate my Ψ said:
He, or "It", shatters the connection between this world and the next (spirit tree).

How? Bringing more evil power into the world doesn't seem like it'd help with that.

causality ate my Ψ said:
Now permanently residing in the spirit world forever in battle with the God Hand. Neither to destroy each other. Almost like a ying and yang kind of theme.

Receiving evil power and turning into one of them would not make Guts into the yin to their yang. It'd be yang and yang. Of course, it doesn't make sense to begin with for the reasons I listed above. This wouldn't serve the designs of the Idea of Evil, therefore it would not happen. And were it to happen, were Guts to be transformed by evil power, his mindset would certainly change. Honestly, this fails even as a thought experiment.

causality ate my Ψ said:
Maybe instead of sacrifice his friends, he embraces the spirits of the vortex, kind of reuniting with his former comrades.

Hahaha, that's kind of the other way around. The Vortex of Souls would embrace him, i.e. his soul would be absorbed and dissolved into the Vortex. That's what happens everytime he goes near it.

causality ate my Ψ said:
With the Berserker armour paired with countless raging souls, he would be unstoppable (Let me clarify that once Guts did this he would be no more, he would be apart of the vortex like every other soul, the berserker armour is being piloted by the vortex. He's destined to become apart of the vortex anyway due to the sacrifice Griffith made).

What's incredible here is that you're literally just describing what Ganishka did in volume 33. He used the contraption he and Daiba had created, went down into the depths of the astral world, and brought back an enormous amount of power. He lost his mind in the process. Then Femto vanquished him effortlessly. And it was revealed that this was really what had been planned all along. Ganishka's life, his rebellion against the God Hand, it was all meant to lead to that point. Because that's what the Idea of Evil, the one who governs the God Hand, apostles and beherits, wanted.

And there's more. That the Berserk's armor (a magic suit of armor meant to protect a physical body) could contain even just a part of the Vortex of Souls is purely speculation and frankly seems quite unlikely to me. You seem to be vastly overestimating its capabilities. But beyond that, the Vortex of Souls is what powers the Idea of Evil, what gave birth to it. So if the Vortex of Souls had to have a will of its own, a consciousness of sorts, that consciousness would be... The Idea of Evil.

So, again, this just doesn't work. It just goes squarely against the story we've been told so far and the rules of Berserk's world as they've been established. The Vortex of Souls, the Idea of Evil, the God Hand, the apostles, the beherits... they're all on the same side. The side of the bad guys. If Guts uses their power or becomes one of them, he becomes a bad guy. And that's just one obvious reason why it definitely won't happen, but there are others. Like the fact Guts will remain human, as DANGERDOOOOM mentioned. A key theme of Berserk is that Guts is a mere human but that he nevertheless manages, against insurmountable odds, to defeat his monstrous enemies.

causality ate my Ψ said:
Now I know this theory has flaws.

You don't say. But then, why post it? Why not try and find a better theory? You could have searched this forum for previous discussions on the topic, that'd have saved time for all of us.

Menosgade

Not all those who wander are lost
You're building your ideas on the premise that sacrifice would somehow lay power on Guts' hand. It won't.

All of Gut's "party members" are much more useful to him and his goals alive and well. What would be of Guts without Schierke to help him control the armour and the beast? There is no denying of how important and useful they are. He has much more power with their skills and friendship than otherwise.

Sacrificing Casca? This just sounds plain stupid, to be honest. As Aaz has shown, this isn't even possible, and if it was, it wouldn't help a tiny bit in "killing" Griffith, since apostles are God Hand cannon fodder and they can't possibly even touch a GH. Zodd tried and nearly died. Ganishka's attempt dispenses words. The name says it all, they are God's extensions. There is absolutely nothing a human can do to harm them, and if you've been paying attention you probably noticed that's one of the main points of the story - Gut's struggle to keep his humanity.

Top Bottom