Video Biography of Miura (Chinese)

RaffoBaffo

Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles
So, didn't want to open a new Topic for this 'cause I can't find if it's legit or not [so, yeah, feel free of cancelling this without the slight remorse].

I found this:
749663f09a63d0e028f5b9edc46e06f4a34950ca.jpg

It's from this video.
http://www.bilibili.com/video/av15079207/

Never seen this photo before, so, here I am, sharing this [legit???] finding.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I think you kind of buried the lead there, Raffo. Yet another b+w photo of Miura in the '90s isn't really a big deal. But that video shows sketches of Miuranger, the manga he made in grade school for his friends.

RaffoBaffo

Walter said:
I think you kind of buried the lead there, Raffo. Yet another b+w photo of Miura in the '90s isn't really a big deal. But that video shows sketches of Miuranger, the manga he made in grade school for his friends.
Yep, the bit with the Miuranger's pages kinda gave me hope for the legitimacy of the photo.

Also, I'm not sure, but I think is Chinese.
Or, at least, it's Chinese according to Google Translate.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
RaffoBaffo said:
Yep, the bit with the Miuranger's pages kinda gave me hope for the legitimacy of the photo.

Also, I'm not sure, but I think is Chinese.
Or, at least, it's Chinese according to Google Translate.

Yep it is, I'd have known too if I had listened to it at the time. :ganishka: Anyway, thanks for sharing.

What an enigma is Mr. Miura. I can't think of anyone who has lived a more private life. And while I think a lot of us might feel starved of content surrounding his personal life, I've been thinking about that recently, and what it might be like if he was super active on say Twitter or Facebook. Perhaps our high opinions on him might change, if ever so slightly. Perhaps we'd get more than we bargained for?

I'll quote Trent Reznor (if for no other reason than he was on Twin Peaks recently).

"Demystification is a real problem," he said. "There've been people whose music I can't like anymore because I've seen them bitching on Twitter about a waiter."

I'm in the camp I believe most of you are in, where we'd probably go right on respecting and loving Kentaro Miura just as much if not more than we always have if he decided to share work in progress art and cat pictures. But I can't help imagine a world, somewhere between Twitch.tv's CS:GO and Hearthstone channels, where a master of his craft makes music-accompanied progress on a work at a never-before-broadcasted pace, and may or may not stream iDOLM@STER in between panels.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Handmade said:
What an enigma is Mr. Miura. I can't think of anyone who has lived a more private life.

Come on, that's a bit of an overstatement. Aside from choosing not to openly engage in social media (we know he's a member of NicoNico Douga) and refrains from picture taking, Miura's not that mysterious. Hell, he recently was a key speaker at a seminar! He shares what he's interested in 6-12 times out of the year, and a half-dozen times in his life has been the subject of in-depth interviews widely distributed by magazines. There are far more popular and notorious recluses — Bill Watterson and J.D. Salinger come to mind. And I don't know a TON about other mangaka, but I would bet that there are others who choose to lead more private lives. Miura might stick out because Berserk has been going a long time, but I don't think he's that special in this regard.

And while I think a lot of us might feel starved of content surrounding his personal life, I've been thinking about that recently, and what it might be like if he was super active on say Twitter or Facebook. Perhaps our high opinions on him might change, if ever so slightly. Perhaps we'd get more than we bargained for? I'll quote Trent Reznor (if for no other reason than he was on Twin Peaks recently).

That's an interesting thought, but Miura probably isn't going to be the guy making asinine complaints on Twitter.

I've considered what might be different if Miura were more open about things like the hiatuses, and I don't think more information would change anything. At the end of the day, he's going to release it when it makes sense for his schedule, which he dictates. If he wrote explicitly about his health, mental or otherwise, preventing him from releasing Berserk like he did in his 20s, people would still complain about the rate of release, because they're simply rabid for more, regardless of the reasoning.

I'm in the camp I believe most of you are in, where we'd probably go right on respecting and loving Kentaro Miura just as much if not more than we always have if he decided to share work in progress art and cat pictures. But I can't help imagine a world, somewhere between Twitch.tv's CS:GO and Hearthstone channels, where a master of his craft makes music-accompanied progress on a work at a never-before-broadcasted pace, and may or may not stream iDOLM@STER in between panels.

Not sure I can follow you on that last part. Miura's pretty old school. I don't think he'd set up a 24/7 live cam of his work habits.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
RaffoBaffo said:

Guys guys guys... Come on! None of this is new. All these pictures of Miura are from Berserk Freaks 1 & 2 (while the pictures of his childhood manga are from the Illustrations File). They were taken by three fans who visited Miura back in 1994. And they wrote down these two fan books with tons of info. They cover a wide array of things, ranging from the shape of Guts' ears to the Idea of Evil and so on. I'll take some pictures of my own copies, but these photos were already available to us 10 years ago. I'm pretty sure they were posted on SK.net, and Raffo I guarantee they were on Berserk Chronicles at some point. Beyond that, a lot of the very early info on Berserk & Miura that floated around back then was from these books. And the reason we originally started the Patreon was to translate them, too. We just didn't get nearly enough support to tackle that big of an endeavor (they're like 50 pages each).

I guess time truly does reclaim all things... We're getting so old we now rediscover things we'd forgotten. :ganishka:

Berserk_Freaks.jpg

Handmade said:
What an enigma is Mr. Miura. I can't think of anyone who has lived a more private life.

So you've never heard of J. D. Salinger? There's really quite a lot of information available about Miura. He's regularly given interviews over the years on a wide variety of topics. And he's given little details about his life for years in Young Animal. Like Walter said, he's just not on Twitter, but other than that it's nothing out of the ordinary for a mangaka.

Handmade said:
I can't help imagine a world, somewhere between Twitch.tv's CS:GO and Hearthstone channels, where a master of his craft makes music-accompanied progress on a work at a never-before-broadcasted pace, and may or may not stream iDOLM@STER in between panels.

This is a stupid comment and you should be ashamed of making it, even for a joke. There's already enough bullshit floating around without the need to add more.

RaffoBaffo

Welp, thanks for the clarification.
Now I want to find more info about this Freaks :guts:

[BTW, I've never seen this on the Chro, maybe the photos were on a Topic and not in the gallery. Or maybe they were the couple of photo of the gallery that had a broken link since I joined the Chro in 2008]

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
RaffoBaffo said:
Welp, thanks for the clarification.
Now I want to find more info about this Freaks :guts:

[BTW, I've never seen this on the Chro, maybe the photos were on a Topic and not in the gallery. Or maybe they were the couple of photo of the gallery that had a broken link since I joined the Chro in 2008]

I wish I had the time/money to get it properly translated because there's some cool stuff in there that not many people know, things that have resurfaced recently but that was known way back (simple things about Miura's inspirations, etc.), but also tons of crazy stuff that's nowhere else, like detailed floor plans of Miura's apartment and such.

As for the Chronicle, yeah it was a while back, it's possible that it had been taken offline in more recent years (talking like this makes me feel old).

Top Bottom