What Zelda items would you like to see return in the next installment of Zelda?

Of course when I refer to Zelda items, i'm referring to items you previously obtained in a dungeon or from fulfilling certain criteria. Things that qualify as zelda items include, the mirror shield, hookshot, iron boots etc.

Of course that means that the magic zelda items that aren't obtained in dungeons are classified seperately, like the Medallions from link to the past, the three goddess magics from Ocarina of time, and the magic that you get in wind waker ( i can't remember what it's called but it made you invulnerable as long as you had magic) because while they are zelda items, they've only been used in their respective games (i could be forgetting)

Things that don't qualify as zelda items are armor, and swords because there isn't a large selection of armor or swords that have been interchangeable between titles.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
An umbrella would be nice to fight off that rain. :ganishka:

Maybe historic items will be woven back in somehow in future Zeldas, but after Breath of the Wild, I feel like Nintendo has a blank check on where they take the series. So I'd be fine if they shed that older stuff. I don't think the series really needs to include old items to make it great. The 2 previous incarnations of the franchise felt weighed down by all that shit.

Walter said:
An umbrella would be nice to fight off that rain. :ganishka:

Maybe historic items will be woven back in somehow in future Zeldas, but after Breath of the Wild, I feel like Nintendo has a blank check on where they take the series. So I'd be fine if they shed that older stuff. I don't think the series really needs to include old items to make it great. The 2 previous incarnations of the franchise felt weighed down by all that shit.
I don't want it to be weighed down by it, i don't want it to be reliant on them either, but i feel like we were missing out on some seriously useful items they could have implemented easily. particularly the iron boots or the fact you cant swim underwater at all. I feel like bombchus could have been awesome for getting a sneak attack when you can't rely on the regular bombs, or great for use in shrines for more hidden shit. Cryonis was basically the cane of somaria tied to water and ice instead of solid ground. There was no magic meter either.

I just would like to see an actual zelda item in the next game is all i mean, i understand that the breakable weapons thing made it difficult for them to implement traditional zelda items, and i'm also a bit of the opinion that they could have put more into BOTW. I like the engine, i like the game, but i'd just like them to try to bring a bit of the old zelda charm back into the next installment. I definitley don't want the puzzles to be solely reliant on these items, they have a lot of options open to them tho. They can make a game to satisfy the old zelda fans and the fans of the new "Formula".

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
BotW is the formula now? I thought it was the anti-formula! They did like 20 games with the old items before this already so it's a bit soon to be nostalgic, and I thought the point of the abilities in BotW was you got them all very early on so you didn't have to follow any particular path for the rest of the game.

Anyway, assuming they continue building on what they did in BotW, the only item I'd like to see back is the hookshot for the Spider-Man action they said almost made it into the game. That should have been game-changing post-Ganon content or something (better than a motorcycle =). I also agree it would be nice to expand the scope of the world to include underwater and underground/caves and more traditional "found" dungeons.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Griffith said:
Anyway, assuming they continue building on what they did in BotW, the only item I'd like to see back is the hookshot for the Spider-Man action they said almost made it into the game. That should have been game-changing post-Ganon content or something (better than a motorcycle =).
You have my thoughts exactly, but i think the reason they didnt add too much mobility speed-wise, is because the game freezes whenever you go any faster than motorcycle/horse speed. speedrunners constantly run into 4-8 second freezes using wonky stasis strategies that launch them like a rocket across entire plains. but that might of been a Wii U limitation that carried over to the switch port. my main desire for the next game is enemy types. theres only like 8 enemy types and thats honestly pretty bad.

Griffith said:
Anyway, assuming they continue building on what they did in BotW, the only item I'd like to see back is the hookshot for the Spider-Man action they said almost made it into the game. That should have been game-changing post-Ganon content or something (better than a motorcycle =). I also agree it would be nice to expand the scope of the world to include underwater and underground/caves and more traditional "found" dungeons.

I have no idea why they decided climbing, which gatekeeps the player while not at all being a fun mechanic to play with, would be better than hookshotting your way around. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of BoTW, but that along with the wolf companion being restricted to plastic toy DLC was a real bummer. Every time I slooowly climb a mountain while watching my stamina meter drop, I can't help but think to myself, "did the developers really think this made for an enjoyable gameplay experience?", it's a real shame with how well the majority of the game is designed, and it's why Revali's Gale is the one champion power I keep activated at all times.

I don't think anybody would be complaining if they introduced the hookshot upfront in the next one, not necessarily replacing climbing, but offering a much more interactive means of traversal. I can imagine a few shrines they could have made based around gliding while similtaniously hookshotting your way around, like carefully making your way through a spike-covered tunnel, but oh well. :judo:

I agree with MrFlibble that it'd be cool to see masks make a return, but at the same time unless the game was built around them the same way Majora's Mask was I can see them being tacked on, single use items, which is basically what a lot of the items boiled down to in the 3D entries. This goes beyond a simple item, but I'd love for them to take another shot at ocean exploration with everything they've learned from developing BoTW. Wind Waker deserves a better follow up than those awful DS games. :schierke:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I really liked the climbing. Thematically, a small human conquering a huge mountain also worked well with the game.

I do wish there were 1 or 2 more mechanics to master so that you could get "better" at it over time — something like active reloading right as the stamina meter is about to be depleted could have been interesting. But I liked looking at a big ass cliff in your way, judging whether you can climb it or not, climbing, just baaaarely getting over it (before you realized you could just eat 5 meals to get over a big one :guts: ) and then getting a nice vantage point on where you were and where you're going. The fact that the music worked right along with it was a nice touch too.

Having a hookshot would immediately trivialize that aspect of the game. Now, end-game material? Sure why not, if the hardware supports it. But I would want the mechanic to be more than a time-saver, and something that actually added to the fun of traversing the game.

You bring up a good point about the items needing to be open-ended in terms of their function. That's what all of the abilities in BotW were about: abstract functions that the game encourages you to use creatively throughout your encounters. Going back to an arsenal of items with discrete functions for discrete challenges — even if they're fun for the 5 minutes they were designed for — would be pretty backward facing, I think.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Yeah, I guess I saw climbing the opposite way. To me it represented a greater freedom and openess in the world; the ability to traverse almost anything or anywhere, nicely put in Nintendo's mantra about it, "if you can see it, you can reach it." So, I didn't find it restrictive at all, and conversely grew very frustrated with games that didn't allow me to climb or trapped me in arbitrary, invisible boundaries after (like instinctively trying to teverse time after Braid, I was basically trying to climb everything for a while =). Frankly, every such game should give you some degree of climbing ability like they give you ability to walk, even if its not a featured skill or gameplay mechanic; it's always been stupid playing as basically superhuman characters that do battle with monsters but can't get past a waist high fense or rock. At this point it's just lazy.

DuskSprite said:
I don't think anybody would be complaining if they introduced the hookshot upfront in the next one, not necessarily replacing climbing, but offering a much more interactive means of traversal.:
See i'd still consider it a early mid to mid-game item that can be upgraded to grip into rockfaces. Essentially a traversal item.

Top Bottom