SkullKast: Episode 93 - Awakening [354 Review]

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
Re: SkullKast: Episode 93

If only you guys were on Spotify. I would be listening to all these episodes every day at work.

Great work as always guys.

I really liked how you guys emphasized how while dog-Guts and the Femto-falcon represented said characters in Casca’s mind, those entities were still fundamentally at their core Casca herself (or aspects of her). As I have seen other reactions (from outside this site) that seem to forget and/or deemphasize that fact, and treat dog-Guts and Fenton-falcon as independent of Casca’s psyche and aren’t indicative of her conflicted subconscious in regards to her to the restoration of her sanity.

Speaking of which, I agree that it it’s almost somewhat comedic that Skull Knight’s ominous words in Episode 237 basically turned out pretty straightforward in their meaning (after all the years of speculation and anxiety over them): that parts of Casca won’t be wholely glad to have her sanity/lucidity restored because of the pain and trauma of having to face and deal with her memories/experience will almost certainly entail.
How Casca will express herself now initially will be really interesting to see (as we saw with her dream, parts of her wanted to return/restore her sanity, while a lot other parts didn’t) especially since I think how much/how clearly she’ll remember her post-Eclipse experiences I expect will be a significant factor in molding her initial new characterization/character interactions. I sorta expect/hope that Casca will half-remember her post-Eclipse memories, making her sorta feel like she has Deja vu interacting with Farnese and Guts’ other comrades, that she feels like she knows them emotionally even if she consciously doesn’t/can’t remember them clearly (so like Farnese would be like a comforting presence to Casca, but she doesn’t know why exactly she feels that way).

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh

Great skullkast. I really enjoyed your conversation on Cascas possible future reaction to being "forcefully" healed. You guys basically hit every single base and that was pretty awesome.

Tensions are extremely high right now, and I feel for Guts and the storm to come. I know he must be nervous about Cascas return more than anyone. Except maybe me haha.

And I do believe that Farnese will have that "I took care of you so you will listen to what I have to say" mentality like you guys said. And I feel bad for Farnese if Casca blows her off. Farnese has grown on me a lot in recent episodes. I certainly didn't expect that. Good character development.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Thanks for all the positive feedback folks!

Nearly a week in to having read the episode, I feel so much more comfortable with the focus of it being on Casca's breaking (and not the rape itself). I do think that Miura will show a counterstroke about this experience's impact on Farnese and Schierke. At least, if he doesn't, I think that'd be a missed opportunity to show that diving into such an intense memory cuts both ways.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Archer1215 said:
That would be nice, but I almost think it isn’t necessary. We already saw them cracking a bit from the fear and stress throughout the entire ordeal of the hunt for the memory fragments, yet they still managed to continue fighting on. This experience still tested them perhaps more than anything they have been through before, but I thought that it was very powerful how they were able to continue fighting on in spite of their apparent distress at the situation.

I'll be surprised if Farnese and Schierke walk away from the experience of the Eclipse as if it were only a bad dream, though I don't expect anything of that nature to be pivotal for their character development. Afterall they were there to help restore Casca primarily, and along the way, a large portion of Guts' tragic past was also conveyed to them. But as I said, I think there's an opportunity here for those images and experiences to haunt Farnese and Schierke as well, as the price of going to such lengths to help their friend.

Of course, if we had been recording Berserk podcasts back in 2010, you'd have heard me wishing for Ganishka, in his death throes, to be able to leave a scar on Griffith's face :ganishka: :griffnotevil: (I still think that would have been cool, but it would have utterly neutered the power of Rickert's moment).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Walter said:
I'll be surprised if Farnese and Schierke walk away from the experience of the Eclipse as if it were only a bad dream, though I don't expect anything of that nature to be pivotal for their character development.

My thoughts as well.

Walter said:
Of course, if we had been recording Berserk podcasts back in 2010, you'd have heard me wishing for Ganishka, in his death throes, to be able to leave a scar on Griffith's face :ganishka: :griffnotevil: (I still think that would have been cool, but it would have utterly neutered the power of Rickert's moment).

More importantly, it would have gone against one of the key aspects of Ganishka's character: that he was ultimately a pawn, playing his part in a story that went over his head. And that cemented something we astute readers already knew: no apostle, regardless of how strong they are, can hope to defy the God Hand.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

Walter said:
Aazealh said:
More importantly, it would have gone against one of the key aspects of Ganishka's character: that he was ultimately a pawn, playing his part in a story that went over his head. And that cemented something we astute readers already knew: no apostle, regardless of how strong they are, can hope to defy the God Hand.

This is late to your conversation though better than never, but putting those points together highlights the somewhat amazing fact that humble little Rickert, human and not even branded, was able to do something no Kushan arrow, Bakiraka assassin, rogue Apostle or even Guts himself has been capable of thus far: to strike the heretofore untouchable Griffith. No wonder he had to die. :femto:

Just wait until Guts finds out, "I'll slap him... with THIS!" :guts:

4768516-3677868581-tumbl.png

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Griffith said:
This is late to your conversation though better than never, but putting those points together highlights the somewhat amazing fact that humble little Rickert, human and not even branded, was able to do something no Kushan arrow, Bakiraka assassin, rogue Apostle or even Guts himself has been capable of thus far: to strike the heretofore untouchable Griffith.

Haha, of course, that's why it was such a great moment. =)

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

Aazealh said:
Haha, of course, that's why it was such a great moment. =)

I still think it's mostly the visceral nature of this :rickert: than the deeper implications. So good. :guts:

Oburi

All praise Grail

I missed the last 15 minutes but does anyone mention whether they think Casca will cut her hair short again or will she keep it long?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Oburi said:
I missed the last 15 minutes but does anyone mention whether they think Casca will cut her hair short again or will she keep it long?

Yeah we did talk about it.

Top Bottom