Other good series for Berserk fans?

I've asked this around the web a few times, but I feel like here may have some of the best results. So, anyone know a good manga or anime, or even regular novel, similar to Berserk? Specifically medieval dark fantasy setting, though I'd be interested in anything you'd say is near Berserk's quality

Menosgade

Not all those who wander are lost
Witcher book series. It's heavier on characters and politics, though. The main plot is often seen from multiple and conflicting POVs.

Menosgade said:
Witcher book series. It's heavier on characters and politics, though. The main plot is often seen from multiple and conflicting POVs.

Oh, one of my friends is a really big fan of that! I'll have to take a look :) thanks for the suggestion.

Not exactly like Berserk, but pick up Lone Wolf and Cub. The damn ending actually had me choking up like I was watching Old Yeller as a kid. One of the best of everything

rockvoanjd said:
Not exactly like Berserk, but pick up Lone Wolf and Cub. The damn ending actually had me choking up like I was watching Old Yeller as a kid. One of the best of everything

Oooh that does sound familiar. And it's a long series! That should keep me intrigued for awhile. I love depressing endings xD thanks for the recommendation!

NCHaskew said:
I've asked this around the web a few times, but I feel like here may have some of the best results. So, anyone know a good manga or anime, or even regular novel, similar to Berserk? Specifically medieval dark fantasy setting, though I'd be interested in anything you'd say is near Berserk's quality

Vinland Saga - manga with medieval, viking setting. Vagabond - feudal Japan with samurai setting.

Vinland Saga will very soon get an anime from Wit Studio ( creators of Attack on Titan ).

Both are great manga with good drawings and decent plot.

Claymore is a pretty good medieval dark fantasy story. The design elements orbit more towards the Witcher, but it has some that will remind you of Berserk if you decide to give it a go. I recommend the manga, because the anime has a pretty bad ending and is shorter.

If you're gonna read Kozure Ookami (Lone Wolf & Cub) and/or Vagabond and end up liking the period drama genre with badass samurai, I highly recommend Hiroaki Samura's Blade of the Immortal. It's probably my favourite manga from this genre.

The two are both finished stories, and quite lengthy, especially Blade of the Immortal, if you're looking for a complete experience.

RaffoBaffo

Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles
I'm late for Vinland Saga, Lone Wolf, and Blade of the Immortal, so:
Shigurui.

Top Bottom