Berserk 2017 English dub releases June 12, 2018

:magni: https://www.funimation.com/shop/home-video/berserk-season-two-combo-bld-00699/

I just want to see how the English dub gets around fucking up Farnese and Serpico's relationship last time.

Sareth said:
I just want to see how the English dub gets around fucking up Farnese and Serpico's relationship last time.

Oh, how did they fuck it up? I watched the season one dub once when it came out and drank to forget

They changed dialogue in a few scenes so that Serpico being Farnese’s brother is explicit rather than a secret only Serpico knows.

Ooooh. Yeah, that's another good indicator that just about everyone involved in the project had no clue what they were doing :puck:

As they make their way towards Puck's home, Griffith's terrifying army makes its own progress by overcoming the other kingdom's army.

Do you think they thought explicitly naming the Kushan Empire would lessen the intrigue, or did they just not bother looking up who Griffith was campaigning against?

Oh well. Give it another 15 years and maybe we'll get a good Berserk adaptation.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
NCHaskew said:
Do you think they thought explicitly naming the Kushan Empire would lessen the intrigue, or did they just not bother looking up who Griffith was campaigning against?

Without a doubt, whoever wrote that simply didn't bother checking :void:

this is pretty funny, I'm guessing the box-art details were handled by someone other than the people who localized it. Looks like we won't be getting the mozgus front cover this time around either, I wonder why that is

SleepersWake said:
Thank goodness, I thought he was going to have to walk everywhere. Glad he can ride again, once more, again :schierke:

Why does that make it sound like Guts is rolling out for a night on the town with his drinking buddies?

Coming this Fall: Everyday Life at Berserk University :guts:

So I watched the first two episodes of 2017's English dub. As someone unimpressed with how they handled 2016, I think they made some improvements. Puck sounds muuuch much better, not coming off quite as feminine. Farnese is also much less obnoxious--I feel like the actress dropped her habit of going falsetto when she was distressed. I continue to enjoy Isidro's performance, as well as Griffith's (despite being Kevin T. Collins' fan).
Serpico still gives off a bit more energy than I'd like, while Erica is nowhere near energetic enough. There's some stiff deliveries here and there, and stiffer translations, but all in all I haven't ground my teeth nearly as much as I did for 2016.

Edit: also I hate Schierke's voice so far. Doesn't fit her age at all.

Sareth said:

I only watched the backstory episode but apparently the script writer just decided to not even bother :ganishka:

Sareth said:
I only watched the backstory episode but apparently the script writer just decided to not even bother :ganishka:

I was looking for some kind of explanation! But nope, completely ignored :ganishka:

Also, episode 4 adds another big translation error: when the group finds Farnese the morning after her search for Casca, Isidro claims they fought off apostles?? Wonder how he'll react when he sees apostles at Flora's mansion....for the first time :isidro:

NCHaskew said:
So I watched the first two episodes of 2017's English dub. As someone unimpressed with how they handled 2016, I think they made some improvements. Puck sounds muuuch much better, not coming off quite as feminine. Farnese is also much less obnoxious--I feel like the actress dropped her habit of going falsetto when she was distressed. I continue to enjoy Isidro's performance, as well as Griffith's (despite being Kevin T. Collins' fan).
Serpico still gives off a bit more energy than I'd like, while Erica is nowhere near energetic enough. There's some stiff deliveries here and there, and stiffer translations, but all in all I haven't ground my teeth nearly as much as I did for 2016.

Edit: also I hate Schierke's voice so far. Doesn't fit her age at all.

I recently checked out the Dub. I agree 100%.
Also, Sheerkee? I thought Schierke's is supposed to be pronounced Sheer-kuh.
Although he didn't have many lines, I also want to give props to Locus' voice actor. He sounds closer to what I thought Locus would sound like than the Japanese one.

Khalamir said:
I recently checked out the Dub. I agree 100%.
Also, Sheerkee? I thought Schierke's is supposed to be pronounced Sheer-kuh.
Although he didn't have many lines, I also want to give props to Locus' voice actor. He sounds closer to what I thought Locus would sound like than the Japanese one.

It's definitely Sheer-kuh :schierke: I question most of 2016/17's pronunciations. Thanks to Aaz, I know it's Ee-see-dro, not izzy doro. I dislike how they pronounce Casca since it's different from 97 and the films, but I don't know which is technically correct. I also always called Mozgus "maw's gus," but they call him "moe's gus". I've also heard their pronunciation of Farnese is incorrect, but again, I'm not certain about all the names.

But I agree, Locus has a very nice voice! Not sure about Raksas' though. I'll have to hear more of him. Grunbeld though.....ooof. I love Paul St. Peter, but he's a bad fit in my book.

NCHaskew said:
I've also heard their pronunciation of Farnese is incorrect, but again, I'm not certain about all the names.

Farnese = far-neh-zeh. Not far-niece, fair-ness, far-naise or whatever other pronunciations fans have insisted on. So the dub is right, though Serpico's VA stresses the syllables in an way that sounds whiny.

Sareth said:
Farnese = far-neh-zeh. Not far-niece, fair-ness, far-naise or whatever other pronunciations fans have insisted on. So the dub is right, though Serpico's VA stresses the syllables in an way that sounds whiny.

Okay, that's what I figured. It sounded right, but Serpy's VA stresses it so hard, it sounds like far-nay-zay. Which is kinda right, just....awkward

Top Bottom