Author Topic: Episode 356  (Read 12971 times)

Offline Faded

• Of the World
  • Your time is the most precious gift of all.
Re: Episode 356
« Reply #125 on: May 03, 2018, 11:06:59 PM »
No, I think you might have missed something about that scene. Those were simply creatures of the Qliphoth, which is of course where dark creatures of similar od gravitate. Slan appeared there because she sensed Guts, and she could manifest those creatures because of her power as a member of the God Hand. That doesn't mean that Slan is the creator of all trolls and ogres or that she has a particular affinity with the Qliphoth other than of course her own evil power.

Hold on let me grab my volume. I'm not trying to correct you here but this is the reasoning behind my thinking:

From Darkhorse volume 26:

Slan: "I've missed you, boy. Its been so long. No...I've sensed you at times. In the cave...at the tower...throughout countless nights. I felt all your passions. And as the path unfolded, I knew you'd come to my domain, Qliphoth." /cut to Schierke

So, not only does she refer to Qliphoth as her domain (Darkhorse translation alert), she says she knew Guts would somehow end up there.

Skull knight then shows up, and some more interesting dialogue between Slan and SK:

SK: "Whore princess of the Uterine sea. So you were the only one summoned?

Slan: "Summoned, you say? I came here on my own. I wished to see this boy. You do realize, don't you? This is what the emergence of the 5th means. The worlds are already starting to overlap. I have no idea about the others, they likely melted into their preferred sephira(?), and are floating, formless."

The last bit here by Slan really strikes me as the God hand all taking up residence in their own "environments". Conrad was already shown hanging out with plague-ridden rats as another example. If anything Slan does at least hint that the God hand members are taking the first steps towards transitioning out of the astral plane and into the real world.

Here's a few more interesting quotes from Qliphoth:

Slan says this after Skull Knight decides enough talking and pulls out his sword: "This place may as well be my womb, rage and fury, bastard fetuses of darkness!!"

*Suddenly a billion Orgres and Trolls show up seemingly at Slans command*

Slan, right before Guts gives her the cannon point blank: "This is the uterus of darkness, the vicinity of the netherworld where abominable spirits take ethereal form. It can spew forth any number of these children, like worms."

This one is really interesting to me, as it kind of gives you a hint towards how certain nasty astral creatures are formed. Areas "within the vicinity of the netherworld" Also, to me this signals that again Qliphoth is related to Slan because it is the uterus of darkness and she is the princess of the uterine sea...sticking with the reproductive theme at least and she does refer to them as "children" in a quote above.

Now, Darkhorse may have butchered the translations and I have the totally wrong idea in that case I concede. But I am genuinely curious on your thoughts about these quotes.

*edit*

Sorry, this is turning into a massive post but I feel like I need to get this all out before it slips my mind.

Upon further reflection and reading Qliphoth episodes again I think you're correct that she hasn't created all of the trolls and ogres and maybe they aren't actually her minions under direct control. But she definitely has a connection to what Qliphoth represents, if that makes sense.

Qliphoth represents rage and fear etc. Those are the kinds of things Slan likes, and according to her own words the other God Hand members melted into their "preferred" sephira, meaning she definitely came to Qliphoth because its her kinda place (and because she wants Guts bad).

I know during one of your guys podcasts (really old, perhaps the first or second one even) you and Aaz speculated on what the God Hand will do when they all reach the real world and someone suggested they all have their own little kingdoms or what ever. Qliphoth perhaps gives us a peek into what Slans "kingdom" might look like as well as the kinds of residents within? So awkwardly transitioning that to present day we could hypothetically be seeing Griffith encroaching on the edges of what might be another bigger, badder Qliphoth.

I guess you can say I'm incredibly stoked for the next episode, whether its Griffith related or not. I need to know what happens next so I can put this kind of bonkers speculation to rest!

« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 11:46:25 PM by Faded »
"Man takes up the sword in order to shield the small wound in his heart sustained during a far-off time beyond remembrance."

"Man wields the sword so that he may die smiling in some far-off time beyond perception."

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #126 on: May 03, 2018, 11:51:32 PM »
From Darkhorse volume 26:

Slan: "I've missed you, boy. Its been so long. No...I've sensed you at times. In the cave...at the tower...throughout countless nights. I felt all your passions. And as the path unfolded, I knew you'd come to my domain, Qliphoth." /cut to Schierke

That is a straight-up bad translation. This came up recently, and two of our Japanese speaking users went back and forth on it before both concluded that Dark Horse is yet again full of shit.

http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=1770.msg249569#msg249569

she says she knew Guts would somehow end up there.

Well yeah, because she can sense him. If anything all you've done is show that the Qliphoth isn't unique in that lineup (she refers to other times and places she sensed him).

Here's a few more interesting quotes from Qliphoth:

Yeah man, I know all about this scene. We were here talking about this episode when it came out in 2003  :ganishka:

Slan says this after Skull Knight decides enough talking and pulls out his sword: "This place may as well be my womb, rage and fury, bastard fetuses of darkness!!"

*Suddenly a billion Orgres and Trolls show up seemingly at Slans command*

Her ability to summon creatures here, in this particular place, which she describes as having a concentration of dark creatures, does not mean that she is the owner of this place. It means that she, as a powerful being who can wield evil power, can exploit its nature and amp its production at will. By appearing in (and ultimately exiting) the Qliphoth, she also sealed its fate to collapse, as SK tells us later. Not really the behavior of a proper landlord.

Besides, we've already seen what "Slan's domain" looks like twice. We see what looks like a glimpse of it when Joachim hallucinates in vol 18 (writhing bodies begin to meld), and we see it again in Vol 34, in the 2 page spread with Slan alongside pages where the other God Hand members are in domains with their affinity. Hers is a place with writhing naked bodies engaged in sex. So, look around the Qliphoth again, and squint your eyes at the DH translation. What is it about the Qliphoth in particular that makes you scream "definitely Slan's place" ?

Also, to me this signals that again Qliphoth is related to Slan because it is the uterus of darkness and she is the princess of the uterine sea...sticking with the reproductive theme at least and she does refer to them as "children" in a quote above.

That's clever but you should know the full meaning of what SK is saying. The phrase is 胎海の娼姫 / Harawada no Shouki. It's a dense play on words and it's of course in Japanese. I'm not a native speaker myself, but I'll try and break down the meanings in it:

Intestines

The translation "Whore Princess of the Uterine Sea" overlooks the play on words Miura's doing. "Harawada" is a word Miura coined himself by combining harawata (intestines/organs) with wada (ancient word for the sea). So here, SK is making fun of the form she took -- gross intestines, despite her high stature on the bad guy food chain.

Princess/Courtesan

SK pairs the words "Whore" and "Princess" 娼姫, likely referring to her lusty appetite/personality while also mocking her stature as a God Hand, in the same way that Slan pokes fun at SK by calling him "your highness/king."

Amniotic Sea

This could be referring to a number of things. It could be SK poking fun at Slan's actual vagina being as big as the ocean (my preference), or the origin of the God Hand beginning at the Abyss (which by its nature has an ocean connotation), or Slan's ability to manifest creatures of darkness from her womb (which she refers to later on).

Qliphoth represents rage and fear etc.

The Qliphoth is, as Schierke tells us, the astral world's domain of darkness. That's it. You're reading too much into what Slan says as she's torturing Guts, saying that his dark feelings are fitting for a dark place.

Qliphoth represents rage and fear etc. Those are the kinds of things Slan likes

Actually, lust seems to be her forté, whether sex or otherwise — the kind of lust that embodies your whole being, the kind that drives you mad. It's likely what attracts her to Guts.

Qliphoth perhaps gives us a peek into what Slans "kingdom" might look like as well as the kinds of residents within? So awkwardly transitioning that to present day we could hypothetically be seeing Griffith encroaching on the edges of what might be another bigger, badder Qliphoth.

Again, Qliphoth really doesn't resemble Slan at all, and we've seen what is probably her domain, so I simply don't agree. But to indulge this idea, it'd be amusing if the presence that Sonia sensed turned out to be the outskirts of another God Hand member's domain, and Griffith just tells them to steer clear of it without explanation.  :ubik: But really, I think people are reading too much into that one panel. It could be absolutely anything.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 12:51:52 AM by Walter »
:femto: :slan: :ubik:

Offline Faded

• Of the World
« Reply #127 on: May 03, 2018, 11:55:58 PM »
It's a bad translation. This came up recently, and two of our Japanese speaking users went back and forth on it before both concluded that Dark Horse is yet again full of shit.

http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=1770.msg249569#msg249569

Holy fuck. That's embarrassingly bad translation. I mean the episodes take on almost a completely different tone...wow.

You can see why newbies get mislead so easy, I'm glad you got me up to speed but damn I just wasted everyone's time with that wall of text haha.

I made a late edit, would like your thoughts on the modified theory if it really makes a difference at all. Probably not.

Back to the ridiculous Sonia speculation, I guess.   :ganishka:

*extremely late edit*

Due to me crawling out from beneath the rock I've been living under and getting a solid translation of that part of the series, I give up on the infighting between the god hand concept (for now  :griffnotevil:).  But I am still truly fascinated by the idea of interaction between Griffith and his demonic counterparts, what ever that entails. Griffith suddenly deciding these certain bad guys don't need to die and they can continue eating humans at their leisure would be quite unsettling for the Falconians, would it not? :ubik:

What I really want to see is the look in Sonia's eyes when she sees her beautiful icon transform into Femto and do something truly unspeakable. Is Sonia really about that life? And if she's not, what is she going to do about it? I can't wait to find out!  :slan:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 12:55:44 AM by Faded »
"Man takes up the sword in order to shield the small wound in his heart sustained during a far-off time beyond remembrance."

"Man wields the sword so that he may die smiling in some far-off time beyond perception."

Offline no name

« Reply #128 on: May 04, 2018, 12:53:24 PM »

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #129 on: May 04, 2018, 02:23:06 PM »
Digital magazine is out https://www.hakusensha-e.net/top?id=15718

Thanks! I don't think we've seen Miura's comment yet, but here it is:

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #130 on: May 04, 2018, 08:21:37 PM »
Thanks! I don't think we've seen Miura's comment yet, but here it is:

Translation, courtesy of Puella: "I've finished my manuscripts. Now I'll go watch Pacific Rim!!"

Offline Keratos

• Of the World
  • Fuck the Anime :)
« Reply #131 on: May 04, 2018, 09:25:10 PM »
Translation, courtesy of Puella: "I've finished my manuscripts. Now I'll go watch Pacific Rim!!"
Sooo Miura has finished writing the next episode's script? Also Pacific Rim huh? I guess the shadow behind the bushes will be a Jaeger or something  :ganishka:
Guts story will probably end after mine ends first.

Offline Rhombaad

• Old Fart in Training
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
« Reply #132 on: May 04, 2018, 10:35:33 PM »

I hope he means the first one. :void:

Offline Faded

• Of the World
« Reply #133 on: May 04, 2018, 11:15:17 PM »
"Finished my manuscripts and watching pacific rim" sounds to me like there might *hopefully* be another episode on the way at the end of May. If one does get released, do you guys think this might be the last one until winter? I highly doubt he keeps this momentum rolling right through summer though I would love if it actually happened.

Also Pacific Rim huh? I guess the shadow behind the bushes will be a Jaeger or something  :ganishka:

He must have read my stupid "Rickert invents a mech suite to fight apostles" idea and ran with it.  :ganishka:

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #134 on: May 05, 2018, 12:29:04 AM »
Sooo Miura has finished writing the next episode's script?

At least the next one. There's still no reason to think it won't be coming at the end of the month.

Also Pacific Rim huh? I guess the shadow behind the bushes will be a Jaeger or something  :ganishka:

It's no secret that Miura is a fan of Kaijū . Afterall, Gigantomakhia is his stab at that genre.

Offline buttonmasher

« Reply #135 on: May 08, 2018, 02:04:44 AM »
We've been waiting so long to get here that I've found myself unable to contribute anything to the dialogue.  I would like to say thank you again to everyone who makes SK.net possible as you've gotten me through the last 12 years or so waiting for this.  Berserk feels different now and I am excited to see what Miura does now that there's no more carrot giving me tunnel vision.  Still a lot of unanswered questions about Guts and Casca but I think the worst is behind us.  Off topic but just wanted to say thank you to everyone here!

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #136 on: May 10, 2018, 10:35:23 AM »

Offline Sareth

« Reply #137 on: May 10, 2018, 11:22:41 AM »
Fantastic.

Offline jackson_hurley

• Of the Vortex
  • even the horses are cut in half!
« Reply #138 on: May 10, 2018, 11:49:19 AM »
Wonderful news! Thx Walter.

Offline Patrick

• Falconian
  • Of the Interstice
« Reply #139 on: May 10, 2018, 05:42:16 PM »
Thank you for the update, Walter.

Offline Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
« Reply #140 on: May 10, 2018, 08:35:24 PM »
More from the Troll Giant King! Though perhaps not for long unless that ominous shadow can postpone his execution? :griffnotevil:

I'm interested to see just what and how much Miura is establishing here about Griffith's current geopolitical situation in Fantasia and how it'll play into things down the line. Are all these guys just more Ganishka-like tomato cans that can't actually pose a challenge, or could they collectively become a problem because, even if completely dwarfed by it, at least they aren't literally thrall to Griffith's power (hopefully, unless that's the point of all this =). My unofficial little interpretation of events is that the God Hand have raised the stakes for a much bigger, ultimate prize while opening themselves to at least some risk or challenge, but with the odds still calculated extremely in their favor.

Offline Death May Die

• Ask me about Avatar's sales!
  • Of the Nexus
  • "That day you left, that's when I knew."
« Reply #141 on: May 10, 2018, 09:40:25 PM »
Sweet! I'm ready from my next issue! Got my 2nd YA issue yesterday! All my roommates are looking at me weird and judging me behind my back, me... with my skimpy Japanese girl magazines. I say to them "this is where you will find the greatest story ever told! Between the short skirt Japanese school girls, and the random ads for gym equipment!" 

Offline DirtiestM

« Reply #142 on: May 10, 2018, 11:37:13 PM »
357 coming 5/25: http://www.younganimal.com/magazine/next.html

What am I looking at, all I'm seeing is boobs... Kidding aside, this is awesome thanks walter!

Offline MrFlibble

• Of the Interstice
  • Without a fairy, you're not even a real man.
« Reply #143 on: May 11, 2018, 10:53:30 AM »
Great news, I have high hopes that the Giant Cheif is going to win this next fight.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 09:20:50 AM by MrFlibble »

Offline Jettatore

« Reply #144 on: May 11, 2018, 04:36:34 PM »

Offline Fancypantaloons

« Reply #145 on: May 11, 2018, 06:19:30 PM »
Awesome news, I'm really happy about it!

Offline jackson_hurley

• Of the Vortex
  • even the horses are cut in half!
« Reply #146 on: May 28, 2018, 05:47:19 PM »
Yeah! Just got ep356 part 1 in the mail today. The visuals on that format is very nice!