Author Topic: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice  (Read 1468 times)

Offline ryOtoha

• Falconian
  • Of the Interstice
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
« on: July 01, 2018, 09:49:47 PM »
Let's continue our discussion in this thread. Here's a Story breakdown by Vaatividya.

Offline Skeleton

• Falconian
  • Of the Nexus
Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 12:56:42 PM »
Thank you for making a dedicated thread, ryO!

Is the Japanese title really “We Will Endure?” I wish they had used that for our version. That’s way more badass, in my opinion.

Also, just a warning for fellow viewers: The video gets kind of spoilery at the end. Tread carefully.

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 01:14:39 PM »
Also, just a warning for fellow viewers: The video gets kind of spoilery at the end. Tread carefully.

Spoilers for Sekiro or another From game..?

Offline Cyrus Jong

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 02:53:27 PM »
Spoilers for Sekiro or another From game..?

Just for Sekiro.

Offline Bleac

• Of the Interstice
  • Don't forget your poison arrows
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 07:50:32 PM »
Let's continue our discussion in this thread. Here's a Story breakdown by Vaatividya.

Good to see a dedicated thread, also good starter post, but I feel like you should've included both the story and gameplay breakdown from Vaati, for those of us more on the technical side.

Offline VladimirPutin

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 07:18:35 PM »
http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/08/20/gamescom-2018-sekiro-release-date-and-collectors-edition-announced

Soo ... we know when it's coming out and how's collector's edition going to look like. I'm buying the standard edition, but this looks pretty neat.

Offline Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 02:24:07 AM »

I see what they did there... and I like it! Looking forward to March 22nd. :guts:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 02:42:58 AM by Griffith »

Offline Bleac

• Of the Interstice
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 07:01:49 AM »
Some more Sekiro: SDT gameplay from the recent Gamescom demo event:

Here's Marcus (ENB) with some commentary in addition to the footage.
Also Vaati with just 21 minutes of silent gameplay.

I recommend watching both if you have the time because it really shows the multitude of angles this game can be approached from.

Offline VladimirPutin

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 12:58:32 AM »
This game looks dope ... and hard. I like it. I like this second boss on the bridge, it reminds me of big guys with swords from Bleach, anime I've used to like xD

Offline Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 03:50:08 AM »
Indeed it does look good. I only watched enough gameplay to confirm it was indeed the new Souls (the camera, basic movement, and flask chugging all checked out =) despite the sales pitch that it's not just another Souls. Otherwise, I rather just experience it for myself.

Offline ryOtoha

• Falconian
  • Of the Interstice
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 09:13:30 AM »
So thanks to the TGS trailer (and my japanese colleague) we now know that the mysterious second sword of Sekiro is called Fushikiri/ふしきり or Fushigiri/ふしぎり which can be translate by ''Undead Slayer''.
Otherwise...Blood smoke technique, a Spear (prosthetic weapon), a glimpse at the Corrupted Monk and other bosses and... wall jumping obviously.

Vaativadya take on it
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 09:25:14 AM by ryOtoha »

Online Keratos

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 03:10:09 PM »
Some people were pretty worried about this game because of Activision but to be honest, from the trailer and gameplay, it looks very promising. I really love the "Souls" games from FromSoftware and i also love old japan and samurais so it looks like a game for me :ubik:

Offline Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 03:43:30 PM »
The gameplay pretty much looks exactly like what you'd expect from the next step in the Souls/Bloodborne lineage, so nothing is going to dissuade me. It's just a matter of if I go for the PC or PS4 version. Steam teased me with q pre-order offer yesterday, but my PC and video card are pretty up there in years, Nioh ran like shit on it, so I might be better off just grabbing the safe bet and getting the most out of that PS4 investment anyway. Longterm I can always buy it on sale for PC later if I just want to have it on there "forever" (not like I replay all these games anyway).

Offline Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 05:07:25 PM »
So I got a PS4 copy (and an HDMI to DVI converter for my monitor) but really only played the tutorial area last night, think Undead Asylum. It obviously didn't grab me yet that I was able to quit so soon but it had a lot of potential. Like Bloodborne when it came to speed and offensive aggression, this is basically Souls boiled down more to strategy, technique and execution. Weaklings you can still bumrush and attack spam to death, that's actually what you SHOULD do rather than give them an opening, but it's going to be harder to cheat the big boys. I got frustrated and killed several times by the first tough enemy, and of course had to keep killing the 7 enemies before him each time I lost. I actually had a terrible run up to him, got hit several times and had to waste my healing potion, on my ultimately victorious attempt. It was either a case of bad rehearsal, great show or I just really had to focus without the flask, er, gourd. My favorite part of the experience was how I moved from relaxed in my recliner to sitting on the floor directly in front of the TV by the time I beat the guy. Haven't had to get serious like that in a while. :guts:

What I didn't like was some of the modern window dressing, storytelling, prompts, or yellow markings to show where you can climb, etc. It's the kind of stuff you see in every big game these days, which if not part of the ascetic charm of the Souls games was at least representative of it. I'm sure everyone will blame Activision for taking the soul out of Souls despite these practical additions merely beeing the norm among major developers these days; SOULD OUT! =)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 05:52:01 PM by Griffith »

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2019, 12:52:10 PM »
That all sounds good to me. The videos I've seen make it look like a Souls game with a lot more maneuverability, and more importantly, where the objective isn't to just nip the heels of every big enemy, but instead be forced to actively engage them. That's an improvement after 3 straight games of rolling between buff dudes' ankles.

Offline Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2019, 07:47:50 PM »
That all sounds good to me. The videos I've seen make it look like a Souls game with a lot more maneuverability

Yes and no, for all the jumping and grappling, which is very cool moving around the world, when you get down to it with the big boys I'm still just circling, dodging, blocking, parrying, attacking. I'm still feeling that old, familiar frustration, but even moreso really because I haven't yet adjusted to the changes. It's early though, I'm definitely not used to the controls and still find myself doing counter-intuitive things, so we'll see how it feels when I get used to it. Bloodborne was less of a learning curve.

and more importantly, where the objective isn't to just nip the heels of every big enemy, but instead be forced to actively engage them.

Again, Bloodborne; how's that going? :carcus:

That's an improvement after 3 straight games of rolling between buff dudes' ankles.

Well, it's three straight if the Dark Souls games is specifically what you've been playing (in my mind the series' line of succession is DeS, DS, BB, and now Sekiro). Also, that's only one way to play those games, and my concern with Sekiro is that in trying to eliminate that they may have streamlined and limited other forms of engagement TOO much in the process. We'll see though, my guess is still that there's a lot more layers to this onion and I'll hopefully be in frustrated awe by the end.

I should also disclose that I'm getting my ass kicked pretty bad by enemies like The Chained Ogre (hold dodge to run around him and make beating him much easier; might just be the way to play in general). Same Souls process where you get better, regress, master, win. But right now I HATE it sometimes! :mozgus: :ganishka:
« Last Edit: Today at 01:29:16 AM by Griffith »

Offline Bleac

• Of the Interstice
« Reply #16 on: Today at 03:36:58 AM »
I actually don't think this is all that similar to Souls. They really tried to make a different game this time around and it's immediately obvious you have to play it differently as well. The only things that carry over in my opinion are the characteristic FromSoftware design elements (level design, NPCs, items and descriptions, look and feel), everything else from combat and combat scenarios, story, mobility (jumping, jumping over attacks, on and off of enemies, climbing, swimming, hanging off of ledges, using vantage points, stealth, eavesdropping) are in retrospect, an entirely different set of mechanics. It's easy to oversimplify it.

Speaking of combat, I absolutely love what they did with it. They capitalized on the lack of shields in Japanese martial arts to create a purely sword based combat system and I think they made it work beautifully. There is a notion of realism to it that I really like, in that you don't just hack away at an enemy's lifebar, each encounter is an intense and fast chain of both offensive and defensive exchanges which end up in a fatal strike. In concept, that's not unlike how actual sword fighting would play out. In addition to that, it looks good, gives the game a personal and distinctive dynamic and most importantly it's challenging, in a different way than Souls.

Also Griffith, a great thing about this game is that you can play however you want and approach situations accordingly, it was after all a pretty big selling point. Using stealth and high places to spot enemies and take them out one by one might prove faster and a lot more satisfying, potentially solving your frustration issues. While the trash mobs are easy to rush down by themselves, they get especially dangerous when grouping up on you, more so than in previous FS games. You can try to deal with everything simplistically, by just attacking, running around and dodging, and you can get quite good at it eventually, but that's not what it all boils down to.

Offline Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
« Reply #17 on: Today at 05:46:48 AM »
I actually don't think this is all that similar to Souls. They really tried to make a different game this time around and it's immediately obvious you have to play it differently as well. The only things that carry over in my opinion are the characteristic FromSoftware design elements (level design, NPCs, items and descriptions, look and feel), everything else from combat and combat scenarios, story, mobility (jumping, jumping over attacks, on and off of enemies, climbing, swimming, hanging off of ledges, using vantage points, stealth, eavesdropping) are in retrospect, an entirely different set of mechanics. It's easy to oversimplify it.

I hardly recognized it myself because of the changed names, added standard movement mechanics and the different colored menus. :slan:

Also Griffith, a great thing about this game is that you can play however you want and approach situations accordingly, it was after all a pretty big selling point.

It's a pretty typical selling point, I'll see how much value it actually holds as I play. I did do a DS3 run once where I was basically invisible to all enemies until I attacked, and sometimes still was after, so there was always other ways to play if you got bored.

Using stealth and high places to spot enemies and take them out one by one might prove faster and a lot more satisfying, potentially solving your frustration issues. While the trash mobs are easy to rush down by themselves, they get especially dangerous when grouping up on you, more so than in previous FS games.

I would disagree there thus far, I've been pretty sloppy with mobs and not faced much consequence. So far it's just the tougher enemies requiring multiple deathblows that necessitate more than blunt force or even just an overly-aggressive style. Frankly, a lot of them are annoying. I appreciate the game is basically forcing you to play good defense, but you could always do that before too. Anyway, it's fun and I see great potential to really take Souls combat to the next level, but the jury is still out (I still fear it's changes will feel more constrictive to a certain style than freeing).

I just got the Shinobi Axe to play with and was very happy to see Trick Weapons essentially make their return (I don't liked that it's in the opposite hand of the button used though). This is getting more interesting! :guts:
« Last Edit: Today at 06:30:45 AM by Griffith »

Offline Bleac

• Of the Interstice
« Reply #18 on: Today at 06:24:28 AM »
Anyway, it's fun and I see great potential to really take Souls combat to the next level, but the jury is still out (I still fear it's changes will feel more constrictive to a certain style than freeing).

The exclusion of armour sets, weapons and other RPG elements is already bound to make it feel more constrictive. Fortunately, the game knows what it wants to be and the developers knew what they set out to do. Testament to the fact that this is nothing like Souls at its core. The freedom is mainly in how you choose to kill your enemies given a strict number of means, but even that will get old. The truth is you're not supposed to pile hundreds of hours in this game. It's meant to be a well crafted linear experience, and based on community feedback it seems to have succeeded in its goal.

Offline Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
« Reply #19 on: Today at 06:42:07 AM »
The exclusion of armour sets, weapons and other RPG elements is already bound to make it feel more constrictive.

It's actually got more RPG elements than I expected with the stat points, skill trees, and prosthetic weapon upgrades. I thought it was going to be more SL1/BL4 style.

Testament to the fact that this is nothing like Souls at its core.

Right, I can see now it's more of a Bloodborne/Nioh clone. :carcus:

The freedom is mainly in how you choose to kill your enemies given a strict number of means, but even that will get old.

I like the stealth kills, especially from high places, but it seems like there's a bit of an explicit philosophy that you figure out and use the right tool for the right job than just do as you will. I just hope in their attempt to elevate Souls-style combat with more specific nuances that they don't inadvertently lose the essence of what made it so appealing in the first place.

The truth is you're not supposed to pile hundreds of hours in this game. It's meant to be a well crafted linear experience, and based on community feedback it seems to have succeeded in its goal.

Well, I was kind of hoping it would be more wide open and engrossing like its predecessors, but we'll see. Maybe it will be more that way to me, though so far the story is pretty standard and still leaves me cold, especially following the awesome homespun mythologies of Dark Souls and Bloodborne. But it's only been out a couple of days so I'm holding off on the definitive retrospectives of it and its place in the series' history, for now I'm just enjoying it. =)
« Last Edit: Today at 04:48:21 PM by Griffith »