Am I the only one who...

just wants to know the origins of Slan, Void, SK and Zodd and be done with the manga?

I don't even care about the ending or the final battles anymore...

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
And here I thought I was gonna read something interesting. As much as I'd like to have their back story I don't understand how one would want these said back story and not care for the rest of the series...

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Actually, on the contrary, I couldn't really care less about the individual God Hand or their backgrounds (and SK and Zodd are already pretty solidly established characters, we already know them well, specifics aside). They're cool and serve an important function in the story, but that's also the extent to which I care about them. If we get extensive, relevant backgrounds on them down the line, great, I'll enjoy that and care more, but I won't be disappointed if we don't and they just are what they are. I understand the curiosity about them, but not that sort of investment at the expense of much richer characters.

jackson_hurley

Griffith said:
Actually, on the contrary, I couldn't really care less about the individual God Hand or their backgrounds (and SK and Zodd are already pretty solidly established characters, we already know them well, specifics aside). They're cool and serve an important function in the story, but that's also the extent to which I care about them. If we get extensive, relevant backgrounds on them down the line, great, I'll enjoy that and care more, but I won't be disappointed if we don't and they just are what they are. I understand the curiosity about them, but not that sort of investment at the expense of much richer characters.

I could not have put it in better words. One of the things I like most about them is the mystery that revolves around them. Not knowing all the détails is sometimes (most of the times imo) better than too much info. If we come to get these backstory like I said just above, well fine with me for I am interested in them, but I'll never be disappointed or pissed if we don't.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
GORDOL said:
just wants to know the origins of Slan, Void, SK and Zodd and be done with the manga?

What about Conrad's origins?! AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO CARES ABOUT WHAT TRULY MATTERS ANYMORE?

Aazealh said:
What about Conrad's origins?! AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO CARES ABOUT WHAT TRULY MATTERS ANYMORE?

Let me chip in with some Conrad love as well. *sigh* When will Miura finally do this story justice? :puck:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
I'm a bit sad nobody mentionned Ubik. Where's the love for the little one. :sad: :ubik:

Maybe not in this thread, but I've written quite a bit about the little guy: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=14744.0

jackson_hurley

Walter said:
Maybe not in this thread, but I've written quite a bit about the little guy: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=14744.0

Thank Wally! i meant it as a joke but I do am interested in the little creep. I'll read it tomorrow at work(If I've never read that one, I might have. I do spent a lot of time reading old posts when it's slow at work). I'm always down to read these kind of posts. :guts:

Walter said:

Thanks for linking that! For starters I had no idea that the Garden of Earthly Delights had a fourth panel, that's super neat.

As for the OP's question - as far as Berserk goes, any lore-drop is a good lore-drop. I don't think we *need* to know the answers to those questions, but if Miura takes the time to give us the info, it'll be cuz it's awesome.

I know that I know :)

My post our worse
GORDOL said:

No origins for :ubik: and Conrad the two in my mind most mysterious members of the god hand. Also there are way more mysteries things left to be solved other than the godhand/skullknight in berserk. For starters the moonlight child or what about Guts future after he possibly gets his revenge. There are so many things yet to be answered in berserk that I would not be satisfied with just Godhands origins or :SK: origins alone.

Crimson Blade

Burns eternally hot
I feel Miura knows better than anyone that mystery in story is what drives interest and conversation about it.

Unless they are 100% necessary to the story, they don't need to be revealed. But I like the fact that Miura (as shown in the guidebook) has clearly put a lot of thought into every action of the characters, hinting it's all there can be accessed if you were so inclined. That's good enough.

Like, I've drawn my own ideas about Void simply due to allusion to the Skull Knight, and simply the process of Griffith's torture helmet becoming the base of his Femto head.
Strictly from character design alone, I have come up with my own idea.

The best thing about Miura is, he's an artist first of all. Meaning, the most important story beats of Berserk almost never have ANY dialogue at all. They're just spreads of his artwork. So if we ever DO get full on backstories, it'll be just as that; no words and artwork merely alluding to bits and pieces.
He won't hammer it into us, so even the backstories themselves will be vague enough to be both satisfying for those who want to actually know and not disappointing for anyone who has already firmly latched onto their own headcanons.

TL;DR
Miura knows what he's doing

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Crimson said:
The best thing about Miura is, he's an artist first of all. Meaning, the most important story beats of Berserk almost never have ANY dialogue at all. They're just spreads of his artwork.

That's just not true. Some scenes are wordless to reinforce the dramatic effect of the artwork, of course, but there's also many key moments that feature dialogue. In fact most deep misunderstandings about Berserk arise because people don't pay enough attention to the dialogue and/or rely on bad translations.

Crimson said:
So if we ever DO get full on backstories, it'll be just as that; no words and artwork merely alluding to bits and pieces.

I really doubt that.

Crimson said:
He won't hammer it into us, so even the backstories themselves will be vague enough to be both satisfying for those who want to actually know and not disappointing for anyone who has already firmly latched onto their own headcanons.

Hahaha, sorry but I have to disagree again here. Countless people's theories have been proven 100% wrong over the years as the story developed. That's just how it is, too. Some things aren't meant to be expounded on and some are, and when they are it can be very detailed.

Crimson Blade

Burns eternally hot
Aazealh said:
That's just not true. Some scenes are wordless to reinforce the dramatic effect of the artwork, of course, but there's also many key moments that feature dialogue. In fact most deep misunderstandings about Berserk arise because people don't pay enough attention to the dialogue and/or rely on bad translations.

I really doubt that.

Hahaha, sorry but I have to disagree again here. Countless people's theories have been proven 100% wrong over the years as the story developed. That's just how it is, too. Some things aren't meant to be expounded on and some are, and when they are it can be very detailed.

Ah, I should reiterate I meant the vague backstories would be similar to how Ganishka's was shown. It did have dialogue, but it was just a few pages to essentially just get a 'gist' without having to dedicate a full volume and the like or show absolutely *everything*.
So if we ever needed to see a backstory on Slan or whoever else, I feel it would be in that same kinda style. Just a very abridged "the basics" version. And that's really all it would ever need if it had to be a thing at all.

Also, I feel the most story-punching moments are almost always just spreads vs words, but you're right, Miura does utilize both appropriately when they are needed.

Lastly, yeah, I was only saying headcanons can be fine if an aspect of the story you wanted to see is never brought up again. I personally wouldn't get upset or anything of the sort if I was proven 100% incorrect, but I'm probably in the minority on that. :ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Crimson said:
Ah, I should reiterate I meant the vague backstories would be similar to how Ganishka's was shown. It did have dialogue, but it was just a few pages to essentially just get a 'gist' without having to dedicate a full volume and the like or show absolutely *everything*.

Sure, to expect a full volume for, say, Slan's backstory would be ridiculous. That being said we did learn all of what mattered and more about Ganishka, which is a testament to the efficiency of Miura's storytelling.

Crimson said:
Also, I feel the most story-punching moments are almost always just spreads vs words, but you're right, Miura does utilize both appropriately when they are needed.

Given the medium (a graphic novel), big dramatic moments are necessarily "frozen on the page" and visual in nature, so even when a spoken line of dialogue is the big thing, it's terse. But there's always dialogue leading up to and supporting that cornerstone, and it couldn't just exist by itself. It just goes with the medium.

Crimson said:
I personally wouldn't get upset or anything of the sort if I was proven 100% incorrect, but I'm probably in the minority on that. :ganishka:

From experience I can assure you that you are. :slan:

Top Bottom