Author Topic: Castlevania showrunner wants to animate Berserk  (Read 1048 times)

Offline NightCrawler

• Of the Vortex
  • Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Castlevania showrunner wants to animate Berserk
« on: November 16, 2018, 12:02:48 PM »
“Berserk needs to come back. If someone reputable gets me the rights I’ll bring it back in that 2D hand-drawn vibe and make is closer to the manga, because the hyper-detailed beauty of Kentaro Miura’s artwork in the manga is the true masterpiece.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2018/11/14/adi-shankar-on-the-success-of-castlevania-and-his-crusade-to-have-animation-taken-seriously/
Berserk isn't really "dark fantasy" either. It's plain fantasy
Miura has been very protective of Berserk

Offline Keratos

Re: Castlevania showrunner wants to animate Berserk
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 01:37:38 PM »
Someone has to give this man the rights. I think that this is the only way for Berserk to get the adaptation that it deserves :ubik:

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 01:48:23 PM »
Well Berserk would certianly be more material to work from than Castlevania provided. That being said, not sure I feel the need for yet another adaptation. I think the brakes should be hit for a while before they re-up. Clear the air after the stink of 2016-17.

In any case, it's nice to see Berserk and Miura get some recognition abroad.

Offline Sareth

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 02:17:33 PM »
I want to know if he would just use the Dark Horse translations as the source for a script, inheriting their mistakes, or if he’d have one made sourcing the original Japanese.

Offline MrFlibble

• Of the Interstice
  • Without a fairy, you're not even a real man.
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 10:30:32 AM »
You'd need the budget of a small nation to give the Milenium Empire arc the quality it deserves.

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 05:53:03 PM »
Someone has to give this man the rights. I think that this is the only way for Berserk to get the adaptation that it deserves :ubik:

You must be joking. Let's be brutally real here: the Netflix Castlevania series is passable for what it is, but as a high profile manga adaptation it would be considered poor quality. No offense to Adi Shankar (it's cool that he thinks highly of Berserk) but he's hardly the most qualified for the job.

"the hyper-detailed beauty of Kentaro Miura’s artwork in the manga is the true masterpiece."

That's not a very clever thing to say. First, I disagree: I think Berserk's story and characters are the real masterpieces, although Miura's artwork definitely ranks among the best in the world. Second, no animated series will ever come close to that art quality, and certainly not if it's on the level of the Netflix Castlevania animation.

Offline Zeke

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 07:20:13 PM »
Maybe it's my natural preference for manga, but I've never shared the desire to see a new berserk anime; even if done well, it'll ultimately just amount to fan service: some spiffy animation and - hopefully - a few new Hirasawa tracks.

Offline YummyPixels

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 08:51:18 PM »
The Castlevania anime was top-notch work IMO, so I want this to happen SO BADLY. I lost my sh*t when I saw this floating around the internet. Would love for another adaptation. Can never have enough Berserk in my life! :iva: