Finally onboard

Crimson Blade

Burns eternally hot
Hi, everyone! I got into Berserk from a recommendation from a now ex-friend way back in 2010.

He recommended it, to which I scoffed at its length, thinking it more as another example of never-ending shonen scholock, like the big 3. When you hear "The anime only covers a flashback" you begin to think such things.

I checked out both the first anime episode and manga chapter and it was clear the manga was superior in almost every way. By the time I got to volume 5, I was simply addicted. I think I read volumes 5-14 all in one day my very first time. It's become one of my absolute favorite things since; if not my favorite IP of anything.
And it wasn't long (volume 25 or so) when I got sick of the lousy fan translations I was reading and instead picked up the official releases instead. So much better, apart from volume 13's+ SFX boxes.

And I've been going through it slowly since then, with long hiatuses myself. When I love something, I don't like to rush through it. I like to read it only when I'm feeling it to really get engrossed.
So far I'm only up to volume 30, even though I have bought them all so far. But slowly working my way up.

I got into it again after a really tragic breakup happened to me about 2 months ago and I felt getting back into the series would help. Guts himself is very inspirational as a character for me, and the manga hurts because I get the same feeling of my own lost relationship whenever I view Guts and Casca. We were both interracial as well.

But more of an inspiration that Guts continues to be. I hope to be an active member here, make new friends, and talk, talk, talk about Berserk until we're all blue in the face!

I would've actually posted sooner if my hotmail account wasn't such junk. I always get worried when it comes to forums that require approval first, since I've dealt with a few that never progress, so I lost hope when I didn't get any confirmation from this site after awhile too.
Turns out hotmail just tossed it into spam and I didn't know until like 2 full weeks later. And by that point I had even forgotten my password and.... yeah. Well, better late than never.

Edit: I keep trying to add my own avatar link and it won't show up. It keeps defaulting to no avatar. Is that a newbie restriction or something?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Crimson, welcome to SK.net!

Crimson said:
And I've been going through it slowly since then, with long hiatuses myself. When I love something, I don't like to rush through it. I like to read it only when I'm feeling it to really get engrossed.
So far I'm only up to volume 30, even though I have bought them all so far. But slowly working my way up.

Sounds good to me!
thumbup.gif
Taking it slow is the best (and maybe only proper) way to enjoy complex works of art like Berserk.

Crimson said:
Edit: I keep trying to add my own avatar link and it won't show up. It keeps defaulting to no avatar. Is that a newbie restriction or something?

I don't think so, however there are size and weight restrictions. Try to keep it small and light. (Mine is the maximum size I believe)

Crimson Blade

Burns eternally hot
Thanks for the welcome!

What are the absolute maximum sizes? My image has more width than height, so it didn't look too good in the dimensions of your avatar.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Crimson said:
What are the absolute maximum sizes? My image has more width than height, so it didn't look too good in the dimensions of your avatar.

Don't laugh but I don't remember even though I probably set them. Probably can't go over 350 pixels wide or something. Give me the link I'll try to see if I can make it work.

Crimson Blade

Burns eternally hot
Yours had 200x256, so I changed mine to be 256x200 (for more width vs height) and it still didn't fit.

https://i.imgur.com/ucfMRdv.jpg

I'd appreciate the help, thanks!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Crimson said:
Yours had 200x256, so I changed mine to be 256x200 (for more width vs height) and it still didn't fit.

https://i.imgur.com/ucfMRdv.jpg

I'd appreciate the help, thanks!

Walter found it: 250x300 is the maximum size. But your problem is that imgur.com won't allow this type of use I think. You should find another host that allows hotlinking (I think I haven't used this word in 15 years).

Crimson Blade

Burns eternally hot
https://i.postimg.cc/sgRbgMWK/gatsu-by-jackolyn-d4qgjmb-2.jpg

This one should work according to that, 250x200 and off imgur, but still won't take. :magni:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Crimson said:
https://i.postimg.cc/sgRbgMWK/Guts-by-jackolyn-d4qgjmb-2.jpg

This one should work according to that, 250x200 and off imgur, but still won't take. :magni:

That site didn't allow hotlinking either, that's why. I've hosted it on my own domain, faster that way. However it shows up cut off under our current theme for some reason. By the way, Jackolyn, who that image is apparently from (though it's based on artwork from the 1997 TV series), is a member here.

Crimson Blade

Burns eternally hot
That's quite odd the site wouldn't allow hotlinking, since it bills itself as literally "permanent hosting for boards, facebook, etc". Haha.

Gotta get going for now, but I can PM you with a resize if you could host it yourself for me, maybe that'll center it.

Appreciate all the help!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Crimson said:
That's quite odd the site wouldn't allow hotlinking, since it bills itself as literally "permanent hosting for boards, facebook, etc". Haha.

Gotta get going for now, but I can PM you with a resize if you could host it yourself for me, maybe that'll center it.

Don't worry I already took care of it. See ya around.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Welcome, Crimson!

Crimson said:
But more of an inspiration that Guts continues to be. I hope to be an active member here, make new friends, and talk, talk, talk about Berserk until we're all blue in the face!

Excellent, sounds like you're in the right place! :guts:

Welcome!

Glad Berserk helped you through a tough time.

It's definitely a series that always seems to be there when you need it!

Welcome! :iva: Also new here! I've lost count how many times I've re-read through the manga. Sometimes I just pick certain ones to read based off my mood. But I swear, it gets better each time!

And I also have had the same issue with the avatar thing. Can't get it to take anything I try to add, lol.

Top Bottom