A look at the name of Dragon Slayer

In Nietzsche's book The Birth of Tragedy, there is an interesting quote where he says that "Let us imagine a coming generation with such intrepidity of vision, with such a heroic penchant for the tremendous; let us imagine the bold stride of these dragon-slayers, the proud audacity with which they turn their back on all the weakling's doctrines of optimism in order to 'live resolutely' in wholeness and fullness" (112). Those dragon-slayers are people who stare into the abyss knowing that the world is chaos and unfair but still decide to strive forward living their lives fully. Another reference Nietzsche later makes is the Durer's knight (https://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/43.106.2/) who marches with the devil and death. The common between these two is that they are always moving forward despite their actions may not move them upward. Now we return to Guts who been through the eclipse, saw his friends get murdered, his loved one raped. He is a perfect dragon-slayer in Nietzsche's definition because he experienced the abyss, the desperation of his own helplessness, but he doesn't give up on his revenge. Guts indeed is the dragon-slayer in Berserk.
However, by the same token, will Guts ever succeed is still unknown. Like the Durer Knight, his actions cannot affect the outcome. So I think I will just throw this idea out there.

I know that I know :)

My post our worse
winterEr said:
However, by the same token, will Guts ever succeed is still unknown. Like the Durer Knight, his actions cannot affect the outcome. So I think I will just throw this idea out there.

I think Guts will succeed I mean at this point it is bound to happen its just a matter of when he will face Femto and maybe the Godhand and less likely the idea of evil,but I think that is a little to much for guts to handle at least alone. I mean think guts losing just sends the wrong message to us the reader as why would we try to go up against fate and destiny (yes I know its correct term is casualty I just think fate sounds cooler) which seems to be one of the main messages of the story if we are just going to fail like guts it just doesn't sound right. No when the story ends we will see a victorious Guts as to what would be the price of this victory we will have to wait. Also we know guts can affect the outcome albeit in a very small way through I believes its called the junctions of time please correct me if I am wrong an example is when he survives the eclipse even though he was clearly not meant to live I think Casca might needed to survive to give birth to the demon baby,but being how careful the Godhand are they probably had multiple ways to acquire Griffith a physical body.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I know that I know :) said:
I think Guts will succeed I mean at this point it is bound to happen its just a matter of when he will face Femto and maybe the Godhand and less likely the idea of evil,but I think that is a little to much for guts to handle at least alone.

That's really not the focus of this thread, it's just the OP's last sentence.

Also we know guts can affect the outcome albeit in a very small way through I believes its called the junctions of time please correct me if I am wrong

The Junction of Time (also translated as temporal junction point) is a critical moment when the God Hand's actions can be slightly subverted.

I think Casca might needed to survive to give birth to the demon baby,but being how careful the Godhand are they probably had multiple ways to acquire Griffith a physical body.

Maybe they did, but only one outcome matters in the end -- the one we ended up with.

I know that I know :)

My post our worse
Now Im not so big on the philosophy but I am guessing Guts is a dragon slayer in the eyes of Friedrich Nietzsche. It pretty cool how well berserk lines up with this part of the book maybe even Miura drew inspiration from it or it is just a crazy coincidence. But I got a better idea maybe just maybe Friedrich Nietzsche went back in time after finishing berserk and being such a big fan about it wrote a book on it so people in the past can enjoy how awesome of a story berserk is :???: seems possible when you really think about it :troll:.

Top Bottom