Guts' sacrifice

Darok

Melancholy (Holy Martyr)
Okay, so in Chapter 219, Guts' Behelit begins activating, and Guts is surprised. Then, later in that chapter, Slan says

"You want to sacrifice, like him?"

so I assume the Beast is activating the behelit. What would he be sacrificing? Any theories? Caska can't be sacrificed, no one else is important to him, so all Guts/Beast can sacrifice are ideas and dreams, ephemeral things. So, what is most important to Guts aside from Caska? His hatred. Maybe Guts/Beast will sacrifice the Beast (his rage)? If he does, I'm sure Miura will find a way to let him go berserk somehow, but thats all I can think of. Guts/Beast sacrifices itself?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I think we should let Olivier look into the translation before we go too far with it.

Darok

Melancholy (Holy Martyr)
good point. I'm very curious on this issue. the Beast gaining greater sentience and control REALLY interests me.

Mizar

Œ©‰Ž•·‚©‰ŽŒ¾‚퉎
Impossible as it may seem, Griffith might be an acceptable sacrifice as well. Even though Guts hates him for what he did, his child is inside him and deep down he must still have feelings for him.

And we also shouldn't rule out the possibility of Caska as a sacrifice, even if she already is a sacrifice to Griffith. She's still alive, isn't she? And Guts really loves her, too. I mean if Guts as a sacrifice himself can use the beherit and sacrifice someone else, then I don't see why someone couldn't be sacrificed twice (if the first one fails, of course).

Guts sacrificing the Beast is unlikely I think, since he hates that part of himself.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Well, consider the area that Guts is in right now. Qliphoth, where nightmares and negative energy creates forms. Doesn't this sound like the perfect home for the Beast? Before all this Slan business, I thought that maybe Guts would have to physically confront the Beast here in teh Qliphoth.

If anything, this is the area where the Beast should be utterly in control of Guts, but so far this just isn't the case.

Darok

Melancholy (Holy Martyr)
Mizar: the Beast (or beast) is important to Guts because that is what he uses to fight, it is his impetus. Without that, he would not be able to accomplish his goal (would that count as his dream now? I avoided that word because of the implications it has in Berserk)

Mizar

Œ©‰Ž•·‚©‰ŽŒ¾‚퉎
"You want to sacrifice, like him?"

I'm pretty sure this little translation is correct, allthough if you want to be completely accurate to the letter it becomes: "You're trying to sacrifice, too? Like him."
'Him' refers to Griffith here obviously.

Darok [Profuse Plentitude] said:
Mizar: the Beast (or beast) is important to Guts because that is what he uses to fight, it is his impetus. Without that, he would not be able to accomplish his goal (would that count as his dream now? I avoided that word because of the implications it has in Berserk)

I don't think that the Beast is what Guts uses to fight, it was his hatred (his fire karma) that kept him going this long. And while the Beast probably exists because of that hatred, it doesn't equal it imo. Remove the Beast and Guts won't suddenly become a nice and caring person who just wants to hug Griffith and smoke the peace pipe with him.
Otherwise why didn't his hatred and power to fight diminish when Schierke placed a protective spell around the brand? Didn't she offer him a protection that way against the Beast?

Hell

Time to kill ;D
Well, this is really a problem. Guts can't sacrifice Caska, in volume 3 the god hand said that gatsu can be a sacrifice because he was sacrified some time ago, so caska is the same. About the beast, I think Guts can't sacrifice it too. The reason: if the beast is him, he was a sacrifice too, so, it's imposible.
The God Hand said that the sacrifice has to be someone important, someone in the heart, a part of the one that makes the sacrifice. The other one, i think, important to him, it's Griffith.

Mizar

Œ©‰Ž•·‚©‰ŽŒ¾‚퉎
Garouken said:
The seal protects against evil spirits, the Beast is part of Gatts himself.

The Beast is also an evil spirit, even if it's part of Guts (we don't know enough about it yet to say so). When Flora talks about the charm and how it can prevent the evil spirits from possessing one's body Guts thinks immediately about how it can protect him from the Beast.

Mizar said:
The Beast is also an evil spirit, even if it's part of Guts (we don't know enough about it yet to say so). When Flora talks about the charm and how it can prevent the evil spirits from possessing one's body Guts thinks immediately about how it can protect him from the Beast.

But this Beast come from Gutz itself, not from outside! So the seal wouldnt really protect him from the beast. Even it is possible, it will be just temporary!

Mizar

Œ©‰Ž•·‚©‰ŽŒ¾‚퉎
Gutz said:
But this Beast come from Gutz itself, not from outside!

How can you be so sure of this? There is no proof of this.

And maybe I've got to remind you that all the spirits from the outside come from the inside of the human mind.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Mizar said:
Gutz said:
But this Beast come from Gutz itself, not from outside!

How can you be so sure of this? There is no proof of this.

And maybe I've got to remind you that all the spirits from the outside come from the inside of the human mind.
The beast is there, even in Godo's mine.

Majin Tenshi said:
The beast is there, even in Godo's mine.

I agree, that y i feel that the beast is not an ordinary spirit (That mine wasnt suppose to have spirit!), it may come from Gutz himself!

P

psymont

"You're trying to sacrifice, too? Like him."

maybe refering to SK .... he was in the room ....

maybe SK is the first of the apostles and perhaps this is why he is so powerful(although 1000 yrs of experience could be to blame for that)

Hell

Time to kill ;D
I don't think SK is really a apostle. The reason is that when he was with Gutz, his brand never reacts. Think of it. When they was in the horse after the sacrifice. And when Gutz was in the house of the witch. I seems that SK was in the house all the time, and Gutz didn't notice about him. Isn't it suspicious??

P

psymont

Hell said:
I don't think SK is really a apostle. The reason is that when he was with Gutz, his brand never reacts. Think of it. When they was in the horse after the sacrifice. And when Gutz was in the house of the witch. I seems that SK was in the house all the time, and Gutz didn't notice about him. Isn't it suspicious??

i dont remember where exactly, but somebody said his brand reacts to evil, the greater the evil the greater the reaction .... i think it was in vol 3 by femto .... well sk isnt evil(as far as we can tell) and he knows a witch who could have given him an aura suppresor(spectulation based on the him being an apostle factor)

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?
The weird thing is, I have seen Guts' brand bleed around Skull Knight (when he was riding Skully's horse in Vol. 14). But I'm not sure if it was reacting to Skully or maybe some spirits in the woods.

the beast probably wants to sacrifice gatsu. Gatsu has a split personality, and the beast doesn't really enjoy the sane part of it. The beast has become so powerful it is an entity of its own.

Hell

Time to kill ;D
Really, that's Femto who said this, Psymont
But do you really think he isn't bad?
As far as i can see, there's nobody good enough in berserk. All the characters are a little good, and a little bad at the end, right? ;)

Lliugusamui

around the corner
Remember Vol18, Puck said SK has something of elvish aura. I think Guts is reacting to Sk the same way he's reacting to Flora. Sk obviously isnt an apostle.
Guil

Hell

Time to kill ;D
Yeah right, the mysterious character return to the attack
Perhaps at the end he will be de hawk of light, who knows? ;D

Top Bottom