SkullKast: Episode 98 - Nosferatu Zodd

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Episode 98: Nosferatu Zodd (1h35m)

I know. It's been seven years and somehow we've never done a podcast on this guy? I couldn't believe it either. The star of our latest character study is everyone's favorite furry loner, Nosferatu Zod Zoddo Zodd! From his allegiance to Griffith, to his eternal bosom buddy the Skull Knight and his spiky-haired counterpart Guts -- Aaz, Griff and Wally comb through the past, present and future of this iconic character. It's also a good time to unveil our new emoticon, made by Griff. (Zodd saying STOP) :stop:

+RE2 fans should stick around until 1h14m, because for the first time in years, all three of us are playing the same game.

As I mention in the show, this is our first comprehensive Zodd podcast, however obviously the character has been covered in quite some detail already during our re-read project. If you want to check two of the big ones, listen to Ep 43 (Volume 5's re-read) and 71 (Vol 17 part 2).

============================
Use a podcast app? Try this:

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Great podcast, guys! :ubik: A refreshing break from our Berserk dry spell. I really enjoyed your analysis of so many of Zodd's appearances - kind of like the Skull Knight, Zodd's scenes are seldom enough that it can be useful to break down his interactions with some of the series' key players and glean Miura's possible intentions. Zodd is on that very short list of characters who has been present at so many of these world-altering events, but very much in the role of a supporter and observer. I hope that he'll take a more active role as the series nears its end. :zodd:

This podcast actually made a good accompaniment to one of my favorite SkullKast conversations (though I forget the particular episode it took place in), where you guys speculated about what Zodd might have been like as a human, and why he became an apostle. I think the one suggesting that he would have been a child was my favorite. Although, now that I think about it, it might not add anything to the story to reveal Zodd's origins (no novels, please! :magni: ). I can imagine Miura wanting him to remain pure in our minds as the Zodd we know and love, Terminator to the very end. Still, fun to ponder on it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Grail said:
This podcast actually made a good accompaniment to one of my favorite SkullKast conversations (though I forget the particular episode it took place in), where you guys speculated about what Zodd might have been like as a human, and why he became an apostle. I think the one suggesting that he would have been a child was my favorite. Although, now that I think about it, it might not add anything to the story to reveal Zodd's origins (no novels, please! :magni: ).

Thanks :zodd: I definitely don't remember that one! It's funny that our thoughts on it flipped since then too. We all liked the idea of Zodd having been an old human whose body couldn't keep up with his will to fight.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Walter said:
Thanks :zodd: I definitely don't remember that one! It's funny that our thoughts on it flipped since then too. We all liked the idea of Zodd having been an old human whose body couldn't keep up with his will to fight.

I think that, given the way he speaks in Japanese, the "old man Zodd" theory isn't outlandish at all! The only thing that makes it less appealing to me is that Wyald's been there and done that, old news, right? Making Zodd a child originally gives him an extra dimension as a character, to me, and if his background were explored in that direction, it might suggest that his 300 years of life have made him feel like an old man, despite his original form. It kind of places him in contrast to an apostle to Rochine, who seemed preoccupied with childhood and child-like things, though she didn't remain an apostle long enough for us to see how that might affect her psychologically after hundreds of years.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I think I'm the one who had suggested the idea he might have been a child. Both that and being an old man have been done, but I think what matters is how Miura presents it.

Another idea I like is he might have been maimed, not unlike Gambino. Maybe in that diminished state he lost a battle he wouldn't have otherwise, and wished for more. That's not too far from the old age thing, and that would give extra meaning to his advanced regenerative ability. There could also be an additional component, like him being betrayed by his protégé, in a reversal of what happened between Guts and Gambino.

And I must also reiterate an old favorite of mine: the Skull Knight tried to recruit Zodd to help him fight against the God Hand, like he did with Guts, but things went wrong and he became an apostle.

MrFlibble said:
I wonder who his sacrifice was, maybe a qt barbarian GF, or his pet lion. It would be an interesting look into an otherwise secluded character.

Can someone even use a pet as a sacrifice? I thought that only humans worked as sacrifices.

By the way, the Podcast was amazing as ever! I'm happy it's back and I'm really excited for Podcast #100.. One day :beast:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Keratos said:
Can someone even use a pet as a sacrifice? I thought that only humans worked as sacrifices.

Nico from the DC game used his dog. But no, I'm also not sold on Zodd sacrificing a lion. :stop:

Really enjoyable podcast to listen too, particularly about one of my favourite characters in the series. Fairly new to the series so got a healthy backlog to enjoy as well :ubik:

Top Bottom