Is Griffith Evil?

G

Genn21

Mizar said:
And what does this have to do with levels of evilness? No, what does this have to do with anything at all?

And what if one's purpose is having fun? And killing people happens to provide you that fun? Isn't that the greatest way to live a sentient life Genn?

If the point of that persons life is one of wrong doing bad intentions and atrocious deeds id say party on funseeker... but if i wanted to say anymore on this subject id just requote what ive previously said ( just scraping the bottem of the barrel here ^^;;). if you experimented on live bodies for the sake of inproving the future its logically perfectly ok ... but if you wanted to experiment to create a weapon that could kill dozens more would be infact wrong.

btw :D , The apostles did it for there own well being this is good? Most of them are horrible little peons that rave for a speck of godhands power to use it for there own purpose that could better there lives. These are horrible people with wicked ambitions ( some i find good in a sence) and they know they will have to use disceit murder, etc. to keep themselves in that constant state and live. The apostles proboly had fun killing the hawk's yes, but it was for a further purpose of haveing the brand on them something they knew they must do to ressurect griffithsu as femto .. this act was good to them and proboly there duty( purpose upon acceptence) as apostles. I find this acceptible.

And I'll continue beating this dead horse untill it reincarnates and then I'm gonna beat it some more. :p

Well you can beat it alone you dirty little man, im not touching that filthy animal anymore ive had my part in this. ( holy christ mizar this bickering has made it to 6 pages ) ROCK ONNNNN !!!! ( but im stoping )

SomeKindOfBlue

How, Caska? How could you not pounce this man?
Genn21 said:
If the point of that persons life is one of wrong doing bad intentions and atrocious deeds id say party on funseeker... but if i wanted to say anymore on this subject id just requote what ive previously said ( just scraping the bottem of the barrel here ^^;;). if you experimented on live bodies for the sake of inproving the future its logically perfectly ok ... but if you wanted to experiment to create a weapon that could kill dozens more would be infact wrong.

btw :D , The apostles did it for there own well being this is good? Most of them are horrible little peons that rave for a speck of godhands power to use it for there own purpose that could better there lives. These are horrible people with wicked ambitions ( some i find good in a sence) and they know they will have to use disceit murder, etc. to keep themselves in that constant state and live. The apostles proboly had fun killing the hawk's yes, but it was for a further purpose of haveing the brand on them something they knew they must do to ressurect griffithsu as femto .. this act was good to them and proboly there duty( purpose upon acceptence) as apostles. I find this acceptible.Well you can beat it alone you dirty little man, im not touching that filthy animal anymore ive had my part in this. ( holy christ mizar this bickering has made it to 6 pages ) ROCK ONNNNN !!!! ( but im stoping )

Oh please let that be a promise. You are so hard to understand, and it doesn't help that you keep contradicting yourself.
First you say that killing people is okay as long a they have led lives whose points were wrong doing, bad intentions and atrocious deeds (Sort of like how most apostles live their apostle lives...)
Then you say that you find the apostles slaughtering the Hawks acceptable.

WHAT????
Lemme try to get this... Hawks=humans. As in NOT apostles. Just normal, weak, strong, wretched, noble humans. Apostles=Demons. Humans who have crossed the line and said their goodbyes to their humanity. Creatures who live by committing 'atrocious deeds', and who usually kill because 'it's so fun!'
And the apostles are the ones who have a right to live in your eyes?
WHAT??????

Oh, And can someone explain to me why I should look at the events at the eclipse from Griffith's point of view? What makes his viewpoint so much more worth than the viewpoints of the hundreds of Hawks who did not want to die?

G

Genn21

SomeKindOfBlue said:
Oh please let that be a promise. You are so hard to understand, and it doesn't help that you keep contradicting yourself.
First you say that killing people is okay as long a they have led lives whose points were wrong doing, bad intentions and atrocious deeds (Sort of like how most apostles live their apostle lives...)

Man where do you get this stuff ??? killing is ok as long as there lifes amount to wrong doing , are you quoteing the childrens philosophy guide ? , ( wish i had my place in there :p ).

Im really starting to think your only reading this with confusion ( thats hurting my post when read inncoherently ) allow me to forgive myself as i dont have any picture books to assist in your deduction of my theroum.

Somebody didnt read my example...

Then you say that you find the apostles slaughtering the Hawks acceptable.
you think ??? well if thats all you got out of this im proud

Why do you think its from griffiths point of veiw CAN SOMONE TELL ME WHAT THIS THREAD IS NAMED ? ( is corku.. evil .. is gut.. evi... is samso.. noooooooo crap i forgot )

Ok now im stopping seriously i will i can kick the habit

SomeKindOfBlue

How, Caska? How could you not pounce this man?
So... the question whether you are a good or a bad person depends not on what you have done, nor what others think of you, but whether or not you can justify your actions to yourself?

If you put a little more effort into being understandable, maybe I wouldn't misunderstand you so often... seeing as how I'm a poor, emotional little woman and all... *sweet smile*

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Normally I'd lock the topic at this point but you two are making such perfect examples of bad, emotion-filled arguments that I'll let you to eat each other. Bon' appetit!

Soul Blader

My blade seeks vengeance!!
Griffith may not be pure evil but hes still a asshole. The guy is very cold and creepy.He sees people as tools.He uses people for his own ambitions and if you are no longer of use to him he just throws you away. Griffith hesitated to kill Guts because he was still useful to him.Hell if read the earlier volumes Griffith even said that he really doesnt give a shit about anyone.At least Guts tries to be a more caring person even after all the shit hes been trough.

Soul Blader said:
Griffith may not be pure evil but hes still a asshole.

Strongly agreed!

The part where he fight Gutz when he tried to leave the hawk give me a impression that he wanted to control everyone fate, especially Gutz!

Bok Choy

100% Leafy Goodness!
I wouldn't necessarily characterize Griffith as an asshole. In my book, to be an asshole, there needs to be some element of maliciousness or vindictiveness within the character. Griffith does "evil acts" not out of some evil intention; but out of his desire to achieve his dream. He's beyond our preconceptions of "good" and "evil"; something out of this world (I guess that was Miura's intention... :p).

He may be a cold-blooded bastard but to me, an asshole indicates a person who screws you over just for the fun of it.

EDIT: Yeah, bastard and asshole essentially mean the same thing... but I feel that asshole is a stronger term reserved for the truly "evil" people in the world.

G

Genn21

Bok Choy [Stir-fried with Rice] said:
EDIT: Yeah, bastard and asshole essentially mean the same thing... but I feel that asshole is a stronger term reserved for the truly "evil" people in the world.

The asshole of evil ??? Man i thought the stench of evil reaked... but not this wickedly. How can you say only " truly"evil ( wait didnt we say there's no absolutes earlier... ) people can be the asshole variety ? Would this meen assholes that t'k for fun in counterstrike are TRUE EVIL. Are prank caller's TRUE EVIL ? Even animal's are asshole's to eachother it's instinctive when a lion slaughters baby cubs that arent his and wander in his territory... does he need to kill them , no . why then because he feels like it. Is that true evil ?
If a goodguy spends a week doing asshole deeds he is now true evil... ?
Could this just be a opinion from the victem of a asshole deed ?

1s_00411.jpg
is evil ?

Bok Choy

100% Leafy Goodness!
I didn't mean "evil" as an absolute (note the quotation marks everytime I discuss evil). IMO, truly "evil" killing constitutes killing for the sake of killing. Griffith, for all of his coldness, does not kill others for the joy of the kill or just for the hell of it; he has a singular, defined purpose for all of his actions: to achieve his dream.

Humans are the only creatures on this planet who derive joy into torturing or killing other human beings. When I define "truly evil", I see it as killing or inflicting pain on another human being without any sense of purpose, goal, or logic. It doesn't necessarily mean that killing is justified if accomplished with a defined purpose; however, as stated before, I find killing for the sake of killing or for "fun" especially abhorrent.

Animals don't kill out of maliciousness... they do that out of instinct. Thus, you can't really define their actions as "evil", "good", "asshole-like", etc.; they are beyond that. A lion kills other cubs which are not his in order to increase the probability of his own cubs' survival.

typhonblue

Feminism--making the world safe for bigotry
In all things Griffith is consistant. I'll take someone you can consistantly rely on to be a certain way even if they are cold and driven over someone amiable and inconsistant any day. You know where you stand and you can plan accordingly. The worst kind of person gets involved with someone who is consistant and then expects them to change according to their desires.

The only time Griffith has ever been dishonest to anyone, including himself, is in relation to Guts. Guts ruined his consistancy. The only thing evil Griffith ever did was to love Guts. And that wasn't because the love itself was evil, it was because the dual priorities split his soul in half and forced him to be inconsistant. He had two desires, and no one can win two goals, you can only loose both.

Kaminari

This pic scrolls no lower, because God hates you
Well, as everything I feel on the topic, has already been stated for the most part, I'll just touch on it as a whole & address any minor details that remain.

Rated R for language, random tangent, contagious lunacy & some stuff I probably left out.

Translation: I'm babbling. Feel more than free to skip this post entirely & ignore it by way of response. In fact, I welcome it!! Just had to vent & add to the 6 page pile. I don't like things being undone...This is over 6 pages, so it needs to be rounded to 7. Then it can be ceased & the circle closed symetrically! Er..

I agree for the most part, w/typhon. Everything she's said parallels my own beliefs overall.

As it's been said, there is no 'Good' or 'Evil'.

Perspectives are like assholes...everyone has one. The whole concept of good & evil are a by product of perspective. There are so many ways to perceive them & none are really to be considered right, nor wrong. Especially, considering that right & wrong, as well, are perspectives. There are no solid cosmic laws of right & wrong, burned into each of our candy coated shells. Now those of you ready to jump into the whole religious pertinance of it all...don't bother. I'm not an atheist & I've taken all that mumbo jumbo, into consideration...But that's beside the point right now & more of a headache than any of us need :-*

Law isn't what's right or wrong, it's what's popular. The same can be said of good & evil, as well. What's right to one, shall be seen as wrong to another. What's good to one side of the war, is evil to the other.

All in all, man has headspun himself into creating Good & Evil, Right & Wrong & even...(brace yourselves!) God & Satan, Angels & Demons, blah blah blah. The point is...we think/underthink ourselves into chaos, & underfeel/under-intuit
into oblivion. Either way, we're human. As was Griffith. As were the Hawks.

They were also young. Inexperience in life as a whole played a sizeable, albeit, subtle role in their eventual downfall. Naivity, selfishness, passion/ambition...all of which, are extremely intoxicating in youth (& as humans as a whole). Can any of us deny doing a multitude of stupid shit in our youth? (those of us beyond it anyway *Cries!*) I know I did...Hell, I was considered 'evil', by peers, family & myself, mostly because they didn't understand, nor want, to understand me. In retrospect, it wasn't 'evil', it was youthful
stubborness/ambitions/emotions/confusion. All of which are symptoms Griffith suffered. All of which we continue to suffer until our little stint as flesh bag-humans, comes to a pulpy, decrepit end.

Not at all condoning what Griffith did. He made (imho) morally lacking decisions (as did Guts--ex: Yurius' son), as I'm sure the Hawks individually have done as well. It's only natural when war/battle, is your existance. All's fair & unfair in pursuits of love, passion & war...this is a case of blind ambition, all too often. Its nothing new, nor wholly shocking. Guts is a stunning parallel to Griffith. He became what he hates most. Guts is an asshole. Griffith is an asshole. Just as Corkus was an asshole. Caska too, was an asshole! The only ones that weren't outright assholes, were Pippin, Rickert & Judeau. But, they decided to humor the assholes. That made them (a lesser form of) assholes (because choosing to follow another's dream, got them killed by assholes). All in all, their decisions based on their ambitions, blinded by their passions & thus corrupted by the 'rights & wrongs', 'goods & evils', of all that witnessed or participated (The King, The Queen, etc etc etc, all catered to this. Its a perspective intensified, demonic orgy landslide, that contributed to the whole mess!) Damn Midland. Damn it to the God Hand's slimy, caustic, people munching, clutches....repeatedly.

(chorus) "Blah blah blaaaah blah".

Killing is killing, whether done for duty, profit, or fun. F**king up is grossly human. Learning from those f**k ups, (a key
factor in surviving & growing, on all counts), is PRICELESS.

Griffith dissapointed me in NOT achieving this. As incredible as he was (you can't deny) tactically, in combat, in his almost demi-godlike ambitions...For all that made him great, he was equally shi**y on this count. We all cave in to our dark side at some point...

W/out darkness, there can be no light. W/out bad, there can be no good, as there'd be nothing to judge it by. Griffith's soul, was fueled by his ambition. When that was broken, his soul, was broken. A broken soul, leaves one to emptiness & in an attempt to alleviate that, or lash out at existance, stupid things are done, & they're strings are easily tugged at by external forces. That is certainly what happened. Hopefully he'll learn, hopefully, we all will. As a character, it would be an incredible story of humanity...For him to climb so high w/out regard, to stumble & in the end, to find his way & despite his flaws, genuinely struggle forward to ammend them. Yee haw.

But, I'll be happy w/whatever Miura does ;D

Perspectives/opinions are a part of what allows us to be ourselves. To deny someone of that, is to erase their existance. Griffith was justified/entitled in his actions (as far as he saw & was led to see). The Hawks, were equally entitled to feeling betrayed & dying by that revelation. Caska, was a !@#$%^&* up extraordinaire, for NOT going after Judeau!! Er...All in all, that's all that matters. Not what we think, but what -they- thought. Same goes for all of us. Nothing anyone says, does or feels overall, is directly proportionate to ourselves. So as selfish sentients go, nothing matters, but our own affairs. Griffith wasn't evil, nor wrong. Why? He never considered himself to be (for the most part).

In the end, this is all Caska's fault. If she'd just left Guts alone in the first place, he probably wouldn't have ended up a Hawk. Or, if he did & she'd bitched lots more, he would've gotten fed up & split. Griffith would be a King. The Hawks would be a royal protectorate. Skully wouldn't have ever had to get off his pretty pony & would've squashed Zodd pancake flat, then mounted his head on his wall. Void & Slann would've gotten drunk on bloodwine & got it on. Slann would sober up, kill Ubik for watching, kill Conrad for being so ungodly annoying w/that " :eek: " crap, kill Void for being so damn freaky & finally kill herself, for being drunk enough to bother, having been in bad company for SO long & just of plain frustration. The demons, would starve to death, being the idiots they are, cannibalize themselves into extinction & the remainder, would kill themselves because Slann wasn't there to look at anymore. & Guts would have his precious, happy assed, bursting-bloody-flesh-melon-pinata sword swinging action alllllll the time still. Happy ending.

K. I'm done. This early morning rant of no particular relevance, has been brought to you by sleep deprivation...the letter F & U...& illness induced delirium.

Kaminari

This pic scrolls no lower, because God hates you
Hell, I aim to please!! Hehe, but really...No, no, thank YOU hun...I really didn't expect anyone to read that, LOL! In fact, I pretty much just post for my own intentions...clearing excess thoughts. Anyway, you have a mightily enduring attention span, hehe *pets it*. I like you ;D

Senri

I'm a llama!
Mizar you should remember one thing which foreshadows griffith in the berserk manga.He says that he will make a country no "matter the costs",his ambition is straightforward narrowminded no more no less,he could care less.Lets not forget his amazing ability of charisma,he isnt very talkative for a leader of a famous pack but yet he could maintain his leadership with his ability.Mizar Your friend who was sick had love for friends and family,griffith had none of that,your friend didnt have a dream to become something great,griffith did,his ambition was his desire its something to strong his lifestyle is completely different.One thing we humans love do and which were good at is "surviving" we strive to survive,he wanted this instinctively but was also tempted by power.I find his personality amazing the creator did a good job on his character development,i mean look we have a big contraversy of him if hes evil or not great character development does this to us.One thing i know is hes an unpredictable guy with a strange twist to his destiny/fate stuff.He can have a sweet innocent smile but yet grimmice at you with that sweet smile like the devil.It is not possible to conquer a world with having sympathy either no human can do so,there is always a "sacrifice" yet we have to endure.An evil person is someone that does cruel things like torture, rape,anything obscene or inhumane you see in that crazy book "bible".As for the effects he did to the world that is just due to the fact he is the chosen one.Doesnt make him evil from this either cause its his destiny/fate either way its inevitabel

Xans-Griffith

Everything changes.
Kaminari said:
Hell, I aim to please!! Hehe, but really...No, no, thank YOU hun...I really didn't expect anyone to read that, LOL! In fact, I pretty much just post for my own intentions...clearing excess thoughts. Anyway, you have a mightily enduring attention span, hehe *pets it*. I like you ;D

Gasp.. you.. petted my attention span...

THAT IS SO SEXY!!! ;D

And as for mightily enduring, I like that kind of thing.. ;) ..y'know.. -that- kind.. :p eheh.. *ahem*

But yes, I do love your writing. Funny, insightful, and overall nummy to read. :) Who else has choruses that go "blah blah blaah" and sleep deprived rants that are inspired by the letters F and U? :p

Kkeh, Imma stop now before the evil moderator peoples get pist. >.>

And yea.. Griffith is not evil; he's just better than you.

Bloody Needle

I'm a llama!
Heh. Sorry. Place marker for a less flippant post that I made the mistake of wiping.

I'd say "evil" is a bit of a red herring when it comes to classifying people in Berserk, but I'd say the same of "destiny." The presence of a greater, more archetypal model of Evil doesn't negate the routine small evils of mere mortals, ne? But defining precisely what small evil is -- specially in the case of, ahem, thought crimes -- is going to collapse into subjectivity and casuistry pdq.

If one chooses to take at face value that Idea and pals' statements (hence Miura's assertions in their voices) are the truth, Griffith has been cultivated to take the role of the fifth God Hand, both in a genetic sense and a developmental-psychological one. It can thus be uniquely claimed that the man is a victim of third-party supernatural agency...the parameters of his self have been precisely tuned according to someone else's plans. The tragedy of Griffith lies in the tension between the reader's sense of his inevitable fall and his own willing participation in the former. In the final analysis, Griffith assented to something terrible: the question that can only be answered in the individual reader's mind is whether a choice existed. I say yes, others would say no.

On a really simplistic level one can tie the "fall" of each Apostle to a flaw in their character -- one can even narrow it down to the Seven Deadlies of Biblical lore -- that made them choose the Beherit over the alternative. Griffith's activation of the Beherit is as much a moment of sublimely human weakness as it a grasp of the reins of power. Griffith does not rise to the God Hand as a general seeking greater things, but a broken man seeking to restore the shattered sense of inassailable superiority that has guided his life.

Griffith got a long way powered by pride: farther than most folk do, but then he has his unique, Svengali-like charisma. He states himself that the world is divided into those that flock to him and those that set themselves against him: this understanding of the world suggests a supreme egocentrism that his been reinforced by his unique qualities and situation. Griffith has never had to think of others because he has been the subject, the hub around which spokes revolve. And the product has been the sort of maladaptive understanding of uses of empathetic and mutual human relationships versus the instrumental, hierarchical dynamics that Griffith has with virtually everyone. Whether or not it is "true" within the factual universe, Griffith perceives himself [correctly, as it turns out] as the world around which minute human satellites orbit. Other people sacrifice their own dreams for him, other people are drawn in to his magnetic field. Very simply, Griffith doesn't get refusals.

The fascination of Gatts is his resistance of the normal social dynamic Griffith experiences. Initially Gatts is something like strong prey, a white hart to be captured only with great effort...which is a novelty relative to Griffith's worldview. Yet even though Gatts is brought into the fold of the Hawks, he nevers falls into the pattern of worshipping, idolizing Griffith as superior demonstrated by so many other of the Hawks. Gatts is quite possibly the only individual Griffith's has ever met who has resisted being his subordinate [yet not aligned himself aggressively opposite Griffith, which is just another social dynamic defined with Griffith as the locus].

On one level, Griffith finds this compelling -- it is the first "real" human relationship he's had -- yet at the same time his drive, born of prior experience, is to get Gatts under his thumb...to make him a subordinate rather than an equal. This is a conflict we see in Griffith throughout the "Golden Age" arc. This process metastasizes as Gatts gains his own following: the romantic and sexual relationship of Gatts and Caska is a metonym for Gatts's feasibility as a rival to Griffith...Gatts achieves the impossible by siphoning away some of the adoration, affection, and focus that Griffith is accustomed to receiving. It is this much more insidious rivalry [than their martial one...though the two intertwine], that precedes Griffith's fall.

Along with the ubiquitous pride that always cometh before....

Heh. Must eat breakfast. More later.

H

Herald of Galactor

A short while back, I came up with a phrase which, upon closer inspection, fits Griffith to a "T". Of course, it is vulgar and slightly perverse. Aw what the hell! Here goes:

Griffith is a helpless meat-puppet, dangling from the giant, diseased, festering, penis of Evil.

Scarred

I am the apostle of Samson. FEAR ME!
Most of the arguments against Griffith make no sense at all.

It's easy to say you would make the right decision right now.

This guy was tortured for a solid YEAR. That would make him certifiably insane, no matter how strong his will was. If I remember correctly, he was so weak he didn't even have enough strength to pierce his skin and commit suicide.

Countless people had died for his dream, and only a few more would be needed. Everyone is going to hell anyway (at least in Berserk), so what's the big deal?

Top Bottom