The way I meet Berserk

puella

Berserk forever
How do you guys get berserk?

Where: just a simple small bookstore(everywhere can buy the manga in Korea)

Language: Korean and English(in case not yet published)

How much: 3,500won(about 3dollars) for one volume

since when : not very long since this August

YA: I don't have any YA.

How many times do you think you've read the whole volumes? :just three times

favorite volume : oddly I love the first three volumes and prefer "Black swordsman" to "The Hawks"
Guts' "Defeat apostles" scene is No.1 but confused, depressed Guts with Caska is not so good.

DC: Never. I just enjoy a few kinds of puzzle game and then I'm totally puzzled!! ::)

and~ enjoy my questions.

Fishbomb

Fear the slightly white swordsman!
Where: Acclimate solutions on the net. Manga in sweden? *laughs*

Language: Japanese, with japenglishy acclimate translations

How much: Oi, can't remember...

since when : 8 March 2001, got them all + translations for my friend's 30:th birthday as a gift. Yeah, I don't even own them myself.

YA: How? Where? Nope...

How many times do you think you've read the whole volumes?: two times... but individual volumes a lot more times.

favorite volume : Hmmm... probably 7 to 9 (can't remember exactly). The latter part of the Golden Years saga, beginning with the murder of Adonis, the backstabbing Foss, and Gatts struggle with the realisation that he never was a 'friend' to Griffith. Right up through that climax on the hill and Griffith's capture, through Gatts and Casca's desperate lovemaking. Then ending right after their rescue of Griffith, before the appearance of Wild. IMHO that sequence contains everything that makes Berserk great for me... But really *grins* I love everything else too.

DC: Nice and relaxing! I just love swinging that sword, very nice for kicks. And Zodd *grins*... I get to fight Zodd to a draw. *weg*
]

eintrigga

Today's Yamaba?
where: a silly boarding school dorm

when: when eintrigga was but a silly little junior in high school

why: searching for "manly anime" to watch with friends and to balance out the shoujo in us (we've been watching utena for like, the past weeks)

how much: no money, because eintrigga was a miscreant :p

first impression: "dude! this is like Bastard, but more focus on the gore than the nudity! (statement repudiated only a minute after)"

second impression: "dude, this is like earthian, but more fun! the gore and naked bodies! (thankfully, i didn't say that)"

favorite volume: book of wild (11). so irrelevant, yet so insightful...WYLD JUMPU!

ack, i'm tired. forgive my pathetic post

Vermillion

If we do not find them soon, we shall be of no use
This is fun

Where: www.sasugabooks.com

Language: Japanese

How much: approx. 180 bones

since when: a fan since mid-April 2000

YA: no yet, but soon...very soon  ;D

How many times do you think you've read the whole volumes? : each volume maybe two or three times

favorite volume : I would say Vol 4. When Gutts meets the Hawks for the first time.

DC: Yup, the game's how I found out about the Berserk manga!!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Where: Iwase Japanese bookstore

How much: I bought them individually over a long period of time...I dunno.

since when: early-mid 1999 (or was it 98? I forget...)

YA: I still get it every now and then...I originally got it around august 2000. Im kinda disenchanted with the people I buy it from at the moment now though. THey made me buy all the issues I had been skipping (since those had no Berserk in them...)

How many times do you think you've read the whole volumes? : prolly 8-10 times over. Possibly more.

favorite volume : Volume 12-13, no contest.

DC: I first played it around when it first came out in the US.

*******NEW QUESTION*******
Point of Love: (at what pointdid the series truly convince you that you were in love with it? : Mine had to be the existence of God Hand in the first episode of the anime (I saw the anime first). I had to know who the hell they were...And it escalated from that point. Oh yeah...and then I found out about Skully and that was the point of no return.

Fishbomb

Fear the slightly white swordsman!
Point of Love: Well... I saw the anime first, and the beginning was waaaayyy nice. But the point where it went from pretty damn good to absolutely fucking amazing must be Gatts and Griffith's first duel when Gatts bites the sword, then just tips the both of them over the edge of the cliff. "This is how you use your mouth." I swear... I almost fell off the chair in oure delighted shock. From there on it was pure bliss.... ;D ;D ;D

puella

Berserk forever
.*******NEW QUESTION*******
Point of Love: (at what pointdid the series truly convince you that you were in love with it? : Mine had to be the existence of God Hand in the first episode of the anime (I saw the anime first). I had to know who the hell they were...And it escalated from that point. Oh yeah...and then I found out about Skully and that was the point of no return.
as for me, the first fight with the Snake Baron in the anime.
when there went theme music "forces" as well, i thought "I'm gonna mad about it" thrilled entirely. Strangely that scene took my whole breath away.
And I've been mad about berserk all the time since that god damn moment.
Before I knew the manga, I'd been just an old-fashioned girl who'd thought "fantasy action manga? haha it's kids stuff"(I'd enjoyed only a few mystery manga and Bronson's(not remember english title. somebody knew it let me know plz.)
But that was not absolutely "kids stuff"
by now i can't go through every single day without berserk.

CnC

Ad Oculos
where: bought 1-18 from my brother for 2 bucks a pop after he was no longer interested, 19+20: planet anime (too slow), 21: animaxis.

language: japanese, of course

How much: around 5 bucks each now w/o shipping

Since when: been a fan since 98, i guess

YA: nope, not enough berserk for the buck I guess

How many times do you think you've read the whole volumes: Who knows... I've read the later volumes more because I like the art. but overall an ungodly amount.

favorite volume: don't really hve one... 13-16's really good...

DC: yea I got it... practicaly bought a DC because of that game.

Point of Love: Probably the Roshinu fight... never read a manga (or comic) with that intense a fight scene and with such great attention to detail.

Where: Borrow beg and steal...but my birthday is coming up soon *_*
Language: Japanese and english when translations are available...("Yo, Dude, what are they saying ??")

How much: I'm hoping to get them for a little over $4.00 at animaxis (Course the EMS shipping means it better be a big order)
since when : Earlier this year...darn when did they force me to borrow that tape.

YA: None here...darn it...but soon...soon...

How many times do you think you've read the whole volumes? : not even once yet :'(

favorite volume : 8, I'm sorry, Caska in a dress is so much fun!

DC: Yep, darn the evil thing... :)

Point of Love: Puck in the game. I had watched the first 5-6 eps and while it looked cool the time shifts were driving me nuts...I was confused. Then someone spoiled me on the end of the anime upon mentioning the game. So then I got to play the game before finishing the anime and I got hooked on Puck!

White_Hawk

The Only True Free Spirit / Dark Horse Rider
Where: Trieste, Italy, Nonslololibri bookstore

Languahe: Italian

How much: 3500 lit per italian volume (half the original), about 2 dollars. The whole volumes ar in re print now, they cost about 3.5 $.

since when: since 1912, oldest, most ancient TRUE berserk fan. I was reading before miura was born, since I used clairvoyance to see it. :D seriously, since somewhere in 97...

YA: ya? how about you?

read ratio: around 6-7 times, but I browse a lot through em.
favourite: all except the 18 and 19.

DC: talked my friend into buying it because of the game(sneaky bugger, I know). Played a lot of it, though I don't find it THAT amusing.

midori

"omae wa ore no mono da"
When we first met: A cold wintery night in 1998, or was it 1999?

How we met: My roomie dragged me to this big auditorium on campus for the anime club showing, and they introduced me to Berserk Ep 2.

Was it love at first sight? No, I have to admit no passion resulted from our first meeting. I was intrigued, but not intrigued enough to really pursue anything. The relationship would have ended at that if my roomie hadn't dragged me back to those anime showings week after week after week. That's when I got better acquinted with Berserk, and began to see the inner beauty hidden behind that hardcore exterior.

The moment I fell head over heels in love: When Zodd entered the stage, and foretold Griffith's downfall. That's when I knew this baby isn't leaving my life anytime soon. And we've been together ever since ^_^

Lliugusamui

around the corner
First, my 'big brother' got the anime and I saw the first episode ( while my brothers had viewed the last too and had been what-the-fucked! ). It made time to have it entirely, uh, i think it was in 99, can't remember when exactly...
Then, months and months later, Rickert thing plus the eclipse haunted me. One day, I've seen Bsom site and viewed some scans. Since then, I searched everything i could find. I saw berserk game ( but couldn't play : my tv isn't 60hz >:( ) and that was the first time i saw skull knight eating a beherit ^^,
btw, i've just right now noticed bsom has been updated !
uh...well one day, i find this site and read the faq, but i waited a couple of months( if it isn't more ) to join the community as a young noob^^
With time, I've wanted to buy japanese volumes but i don't have the money, so i've decided to wait for the french version and buy it slowly, and i'm getting fucking nervous about the dynamic visions : how long are we gonna wait ? 1-2 year ? >:(
so i've some scans waiting for the time i could get the volumes >:(

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?
I was standing around trying to find some anime to rent and saw the tape "War Cry" on the shelf. I had heard a lot about it, so I rented it. I have to say when I first watched it, I didn't like the show much. But I was curious enough to get online and look for more info. I found BSOM and this site. Once I started to learn more, I was absolutely hooked. So in a way, I can blame Walter for my habit. :)

As for the manga, I only have 3 volumes so far (12, 13, 22) I got them from Animegamers.com for about $29 total. I use text translations, since they're in original japanese.

All_4_Yume

Yume Chaser
My brother had downloaded the first 3 episodes 2-3 years ago. I started watching at episode 2 and I thought it was good/alright but I was interested in seeing the follow-up episodes. Unfortunately my brother couldn't find anymore and thus my brother forgot about it and I really didn't care because I was burned out on anime at the time and probably some game sapped up my time.

Then around Late Feb/March of this year I caught my brother watching it again at the last part of episode 12 and caught the bonfire of dreams monologue. I was kinda bored so I started watching from there. I saw the Boscone fight and I thought damn Guts is badass. I really started to dig it when I saw Griffith walk up like Sho from Suikoden 2 (my favorite RPG ever) and talk to the Queen. I also thought the show was deep when I saw the Gatts/Judeau/Corkus talk at the bar before Gatts leaves. From there I was hooked 'til the bloody end and episode 25 had me scrambling for the mythical episode 26. Once cold reality set in that there was no episode 26 and watched the whole series over again from the start and then I truly realized how great the show really is.

Once I saw it again I thought about finding the end summaries only to find out the story isn't over (totally shocked me). Luckily after that I fought the chapters that cover the aftermath of the Eclipse. Gradually my bro found many of the translated Manga volumes and finally got to experience the real Berserk.

BOB

poruno sutâ
Where: Acclimate solutions

Language: Japanese, (as if i would be able to tell if it's jap or chinese)

How much: think it was somthing like 95$ + shipping costs

since when : spring 2001 i think it was only a little after i discovered the game heard some hirasawa tunes and swallowed every piece of information on BSOM. I got the anime from HK first but seeing the scans back then got me hooked (took me some time to find sK.net )

YA: never heard of reasonable prices for it around here in germany

How many times do you think you've read the whole volumes?: All in one go would have to be two times though i actually didn't read that much. it was rather looking at magnificent drawings, remembering the information i got from the anime and searching the board for explanations of key sequences like Guts several meetings with skull for example

favorite volume : dunno the eclipse volumes are breathtaking but too disturbing to be my favourites as everything falls apart in these. i think i like the volumes direktly after the eclipse best as guts pulls himself back up, gets the DS and works his way through the apostles with his hate

DC: this got me into it. love the way the swordplay felt and the whole athmosphere sucked me into it. IMO this was the best game on the DC, and even the PS2 fighters can't beat it.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
First Time: I first experienced Berserk by watching the entire anime straight through without English subs (pure emotion basically). It was a memorable to say the least; I remember the last moments of 25 being absolutely surreal, not the events themselves, but the feeling as I watched it, it’s never quite felt the same since. I believe it was a Sunday.

Where I get it: After subsequent anime viewings (namely, English subtitled ones). I ordered 1-19 from Sasuga books, they sent me two copies of 18 by mistake, my question; why THAT volume? Starting with 20 I’ve been an Animaxis man. I order three volumes at a time now (15 bucks every six months is pretty easy on the budget); two copies of the latest volume, and one of the older volumes. I read them a lot and don’t want to worry about damaging them or letting people borrow them. When all is said and done, I’ll have two complete sets of Berserk manga. One set I’ll leave to my children, the other will be buried with me. ;)

Language: Japanese, and if they brought it to the States, I’d still get the Japanese volumes.

How much: $5 a pop (the savings on manga are spent on the shipping).

Since when : I’m part of the exclusive “Since ’98 BSOM Kids Club”

YA: Why, eh? Ahar har har har!

How many times do you think you've read the whole volumes?: I don't read them, I take breaks from reading them. There is one open in front of me right now (23). I’m serious, you can usually always find at least one volume on my person. By quote: “Do you have to take your hentai comics everywhere you go!?”

Favorite volumes : 6-10, 12,13, 17, and 22 (I love Wild and Roshinu, but I might as well say every volume is my favorite.)

DC: I bought, I played, I conquered.

Point of love: Episodes 12 and on

-Griffith

Kuroi-san

Gonna do something, or just stand there and bleed?
ANY MANGA RELATED QUESTIONS: Don't have any of it.

Game: I played around my friends house, I conquered. I bought a Dreamcast just so I could have my own copy. Honestly. I complete the game around three times a week now.

Greatest Achievement: Beating the living shit out of Zoddo on Hard without using any Elf Dust. 8)

Anime: I downloaded episode 1 once I found out about the anime, and was like "Meh". But I still watched it 70+ times. ;)

Then I downloaded episodes 2-16, and 25 (the rest didn't work :-X). I have now deleted them from my computer, and I am saving up and coaxing my dad to buy the DVD's for me. I'm going straight (at last).

Point of love: The first bandit I hacked through with a satisfying "CRUNCH!". I can still remember the scene now...

It was a an Autumn half-term morning, the trees were losing their leaves outside and the wind blew. I sipped at my orange juice absent-mindedly and sifted through my friend's DC games.

"Hey, whats this?" I asked, producing a battered copy of Sword of the Berserk.

"Oh, you go around with a big sword and kill stuff. Nothing special." my good friend, Andrew, replied.

Shrugging, I placed the game into the DC. I impatiently skipped the intro and started a new game.

*several seconds later*

CRUNCH.

"Whoa. There has to be more to this guy." I thought, as I hacked through the remaining ill-trained bandits. An hour or so later, I was dashing over ramparts and attacking knights and men-at-arms, blocking their clumsy blows and hacking through them with that satisfying CRUNCH. Then I had to go. That night I had strange dreams, involving a forest and wierd-ass Mandragoran beasts.

Ah, it was a day to remember...

Where: Sasuga books

How much: about $8.00 each

Since when: Since last March

YA: Nope

How many times read: About once every week

Favorite volume: volume 16, I really like the first time Guts sees the Beast and Puck fights off the specters.

DC: If I hadn't bought the game I probably wouldn't have discovered Berserk.

Vermillion

If we do not find them soon, we shall be of no use
New Question

How many people have you introduced Berserk to and are thoroughy interested??

5 for me so far. Two cousins, my older brother, a good buddy and my girlfriend.

Top Bottom