The way I meet Berserk

CROM

Where am I?......And why... am I naked?....
Me and a couple of friends were at an Anime convention around Aug of 2k I think. I was getting kind of disgusted by the whole Anime "scene." Most of the stories were basically the same. (Awkward highschool boy finds out he has some kind of special power and becomes the focus of an intergalactic, interdimensional war and multi-babe relationship.) I can remember looking through the convention pamphlet with my friends and seeing the title "Berserk." We were like "oooh yeah... Berserk.... me likey the berserk..." Also, the art was different from the highly stylized animation of A.D. Vision and other current shows. It seemed to have more of the 80's anime feel to it.
Well, we went to see the first five episodes, I think, and were blown away. When Gatts stood there and fired the arrows into the Snake Barons head I turned to my two friends and said, "We're staying right?!" I was answered with "Hell yeah!" That day and the next day, all we did at the convention was progress through the series. We were only late to one episode. I couldn't believe how well written the characters were. I would have stayed for just the hack and slash, but the fact that you actually cared for characters was what obsessed me.
It was a blast, as the series progressed, you would see the same people coming back. They would grow more fanatical as each episode passed. By the time Griffith had been imprisoned, we had all (Hundred or so of us) become full-fledged Berserk devotees. One time, one of the staffers couldn't get the projector working. (This was around the 23rd episode.) I have never seen such a bloodthirsty audience. They were ready to go Berserk on his ass! As Gatts tore through the prison cell door impaling the the torturer everyone cheered and rose to their feet salivating like madmen and howling for bloody retribution. Nothing could prepare us for the eclipse however. (One thing a may actually prefer about the anime over the manga, is the suprise factor when you learn about the tremendous supernatural element inside the story. It is hinted at with Zodd, but not nearly to the extent of the eclipse.) Every one sat wide eyed like whipped pups as demons dissimated the entire band of hawks. We just saw the entire group of characters we had grown to love simultaneously anihilated before our eyes. The whole time, the entire theatre is thinking, "Where's Gatts?.... Everyone's dying... he's gotta do SOMETHING!" Needless to say, when Gatts broke the horn off one of the demons and began killing, the entire audience climaxed... A group of black guys sitting next to us began pounding on each other and shaking their fists in delight at the screen. Some pampered white dudes behind us, felt their balls grow for the first time and jumped to their feet screaming "Kill! KILL!" I looked around me at the shining white eyes of fanatics. Womens' voices deepened and my friend grew his first chest hair. The entire crowd trembled and chanted and frothed and beat their palms into their fists. And as Gatts was pinned to the ground and tears ran from his eyes as it faded to black, everyone had tears in their own eyes. And it was completely silent in the room... When the lights came back on we all walked out somberly. Men held their women closer and the bachelors stepped out of the theatre as greater gentlemen then as they'd ever been before...
It was probably the best theatre experience I've ever had. Amazing. I was hooked ever since...

Sofus

I serve the God Hand
How I got started:
Kinda odd really, this guy I was talking to on irc recommended it to me, but he said it was about some badass that went around from village to village saving people. Turned out he had just seen ep 1 later when I talked to him about it :)
I downloaded some really old fansubs and started watching, after 2-3 eps I was pretty hooked, but after Zodd's entrance it was hook, line and sinker! And the eclipse? After that I was ready to build a shrine to Miura, and I hadn't even read the manga!

Got the manga eventually from Animaxis and the infamous Aclimate translations, but even though the translations were pretty much crap it was still worth it, nothing can compare itself to Berserk.

My favorite volumes are 12-13 I think, never got so emotionally upset by a work of fiction as when I read those. Incredible stuff.

Haven't played the DC game, don't know anyone that actually OWN a DC here in Sweden. But if there's an emulator for PC then let me know!

Back to watching from the shadows :)

All_4_Yume

Yume Chaser
CROM: I don't if you're bullshitting or not but you sure made it sound great! It's probably way too easy to get hyped watching Berserk in a crowd. I don't know if I'd want to be around a lot of people watching a crazy scene like the Eclipse.

CROM

Where am I?......And why... am I naked?....
It's 96% true. We were all feeding off each others excitement. That's how riots start I guess. Everyone assumes a kind of mob mentality. If episode 26 had told us to invade Poland we probably all would have at the time...

maximus

Es ist einsam im Nebel zu wandern...
It's 96% true. We were all feeding off each others excitement. That's how riots start I guess. Everyone assumes a kind of mob mentality. If episode 26 had told us to invade Poland we probably all would have at the time...
hmm... :-/

Top Bottom