Author Topic: Legend of Galactic Heroes (Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu)  (Read 8027 times)

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
Re: Legend of Galactic Heroes (Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu)
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2015, 01:54:36 PM »
Both the OVAs and the novels have finally gotten licensed for an English release. Sentai Filmworks has the OVAs, while Viz Media has the Novels under their Haikasoru imprint. :ubik:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-07-02/sentai-filmworks-adds-legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-higurashi-anime/.89987
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-07-02/viz-adds-legend-of-galactic-heroes-novels-one-punch-man-anime/.89995

This is fantastic news. I'll be all over those novels. I never thought I'd be able to read those.

I really hope it does well for them, and that more people can discover the series.
:femto: :slan: :ubik:

Offline Admiral_Yang_Wen-li

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2015, 10:32:13 PM »
This is fantastic news. I'll be all over those novels. I never thought I'd be able to read those.

I really hope it does well for them, and that more people can discover the series.

Totally. I just started my third rewatch recently. Easily the most though-provoking television I've seen.

Offline Hitoshura

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2017, 11:05:09 AM »
Some new info on the new anime along with a key visual has finally surfaced over three years later.
Quote from: ANN
The official website for Production I.G's new anime of Yoshiki Tanaka's epic science fiction novels The Legend of the Galactic Heroes confirmed on Wednesday that the new anime is recasting the main characters Reinhard, Kircheis, and Yang Wen-li. An event will introduce the new voice cast, staff, and special promotional video at Tokyo's Shinjuku Bunka Center on September 20.

The site also revealed a new "opening visual" showing a young Reinhard.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-05-10/production-i.g-new-legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-anime-recasts-main-characters/.115900
"Death's vastness holds no peace. I come at the end of the long road. Neither human, nor devil... all bends to my will" - Hitoshura

Offline RaffoBaffo

• Of the Interstice
  • Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2017, 11:22:01 AM »
The original OAV series is one of my favorite Anime [and I'm currenty rewatching it] so, let's hope they will not screw too much with this remake/reboot/whatever.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 11:40:56 AM by RaffoBaffo »
May those who accept their fate be granted happiness.
May those who defy their fate be granted glory.

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2017, 01:24:37 PM »
Cool. Not sure I need yet another adaptation of this series though. The OAV is just fine.

Speaking of LoGH though, I just started finally reading the novels. They're good, and it's impressive to me (so far) how faithful the OAV is at conveying not only the story, but also the character designs.

Offline Dar Klink

• Falconian
  • Of the Vortex
  • Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2017, 03:49:38 AM »
Cool. Not sure I need yet another adaptation of this series though. The OAV is just fine.

Speaking of LoGH though, I just started finally reading the novels. They're good, and it's impressive to me (so far) how faithful the OAV is at conveying not only the story, but also the character designs.

I recently finished book 1 after having it sit around for a while and it really is crazy how closely the anime followed the books. Sometimes the writing(well, translation more likely) feels a tiny bit clunky, but it's a really easy read and quicker way to re-experience the story without going through 110 episodes.

I have not real opinion on the anime yet, it doesn't feel like something that needs to exist but I'll definitely watch it.

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2017, 01:48:03 PM »
I'm onto book two, and it's pretty incredible how there's hardly ever a sense of disconnect between the books and the OVAs. It's a real treat for those who are already familiar with the animated version, and immediately benefit from the added detail of the books.

Furthermore, the books mostly remedy one of my consistent complaints about the series -- simpleton enemies. Though on its face, the series' lofty goal is to contend the merits of a democracy in decline with a benevolent autocracy on the rise, so many of the practical conflicts are brought about by one-note bad guys who are completely incompetent. These Adon-writ-large characters consistently drag down the story, as the primary characters on either side, bearing cold logic and competence, inevitably mop the floor with these morons.

That one-color shade the opposing forces are painted in seems to be a fabrication of the OVAs to streamline the storytelling. Because in the novels, these characters are given a bit more life, and make ON PAR, fewer boneheaded decisions. However, so far it seems there are certain characterizations that are better in the novel (every character is more well-rounded in the books than in the series), and some which are better in the OVAs (Julian). On the whole though, the additional details added in the novel breathe much more life into the world.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 02:31:13 PM by Walter »