Author Topic: Episode 221  (Read 21874 times)

Offline roberto999

• Of the Nexus
  • The Black Chick of Darkness
Episode 221
« on: May 08, 2003, 07:05:43 PM »
O.K. the usual guy has posted the usual japanese summary of the chapter. Possible that here with a lot of translators , native Japaneses, persons that understand japanese, not one of them is able to translate it? I am not asking for a word by word translation! Two or threes lines that explain to us all what is happening.

http://homepage1.nifty.com/bluestone/berserk/animal/ya221.html
« Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 07:06:44 AM by Aazealh »
Hey I am reborn

Offline argon

• Of the Interstice
  • I love Guts Fury
Re:cap.221
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2003, 07:16:51 PM »
taken from latest page of "chapter 220" thread (posted by saiki) :

Just to let averyone know, Slann is not dead. The DS did hurt her but she just floated away and told Guts that they'll meet again. The chapter title is called "Nakama" which means Allies. Yobimizu no Ken is the sword that is created when Skully puts a sword inside his mouth and it combines with the Beherits he ate. Think of a sword plus lots of eye's noses, and mouths from Beherits.
And the chapter is called Allies bcuz Guts has gained something that he thought he could never get back again. Which is allies/friends like the Band of Hawks.
I'll make a new thread+summary when I get my YA

Offline roberto999

• Of the Nexus
Hey I am reborn

Offline roberto999

• Of the Nexus
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2003, 07:41:19 PM »
Anyway a thing is clear:SLAN DID NOT DIE. She just got away. If I did understand correctly the guy states that the God Hands are not so easily killed, but they can be driven back.
Hey I am reborn

Offline Uriel

• 天下無敵者
  • Of the Abyss
  • This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2003, 07:52:25 PM »
This Beherit sword sounds odd.. but anyway, looking forward to seeing the full review.

Offline namayias

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2003, 11:12:18 PM »
well that explains some of our speculation on skully eating the Beherits.  Bit of a surprise for him to have the Beherits combine with his sword.

Offline SaiyajinNoOuji

• Of the Abyss
  • I'm still better than you
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2003, 04:05:11 AM »
I feel like I was kinda right. I had said that he may be using the Beherits to power up. So I was sorta right.  ;D I am going to check my Jusco in 3 days to get the YA so i can scan them. I am also glad that Slann did not die!!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"Plenty of time to sleep when you're dead!"

Offline The Perineum Falcon

• Slightly Green, all Ranemaka
  • Of the Vortex
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2003, 05:02:15 AM »
am i the only one here who is a bit let down by the use of the beherit-omlets?
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Offline Darok

• Of the Interstice
  • Melancholy (Holy Martyr)
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2003, 05:15:02 AM »
wiggy...  I wanna see!  just a pic of the sword
« Last Edit: May 09, 2003, 05:17:12 AM by Darok [False Attitudes] »
"You dance up to the edge. I doubt that a demon would even be so human. Beware what you may discover, and be warned that discovering you aren't really one of us may come after you have done something that can't be taken back. Continue dancing but beware of where it may lead you. Remember, an angel is no more human than a demon."  - Annah Hutchings god of artists

Offline Smith

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2003, 07:44:14 AM »
As i expected, how can she dies so easily, thx God she is still alive  ;D
It piss me off when I see weaklings, it make me want to crush them

Offline Saiki

• Saikτ!
  • Of the Interstice
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2003, 02:39:55 PM »
Chapter title: Nakama(Allies)

When Guts pierced Slann with the DS, she screams for joy and tells him that he is great. Her body falls apart and she leaves telling Guts theyll meet again.
Meanwhile, the troll king burns away, after being stabbed by Isidro. A number of trolls try to attack Isidro from behind. At the same moment, the spirit of the shadows is summonned by Schierke. The SoS blows its breath onto the earth and the trolls start to rot away. Schierke tells Guts to hurry and get out of there.
Skully comments on how they cannot excape at the current situation. He then swallows the tip of his sword. When he takes the sword out, it is covered by eye's, noses's and mouths. When Skully swings the sword, a path to the Ikuukan(sorry, I can't think of a translation for this. It's the place when the Slug king summoned the Godhand, and when Wyild died., etc). Skully takes Guts and they both leave the forest. All the creatures within the area get sucked into the Ikkukan.
Guts and skully both appear behind Schierke and Isidro. Skully leaves into the shadows and Schierke wonders about him.
When the group gets back to the village, Serpico is delighted to see that Farnazee is safe. Guts watches his new allies and remembers about his allies in the band of Hawks. He realizes that he gained something that he thought he could never get back again.

Offline Smith

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2003, 03:14:47 PM »
A thousand and one Thanks Saiki!!!   :D

Wow, wonderful chapter! Good to see Guts band retreat safety, I guess rite after Guts get his talisman from Flora, the story will have to flip to Griffin side!
It piss me off when I see weaklings, it make me want to crush them

Offline Mizar

• Of the Nexus
  • Œ©‰Ž•·‚©‰ŽŒΎ‚ν‰Ž
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2003, 03:46:43 PM »
Thanks, Saiki. Sounds like a pretty cool chapter to me, even the part about Skully's beherit sword isn't all that bad imo, it all sounds plausible to me, it's just one of SK's amazing abilities. 8)
I'm really curious how Miura has drawn that sword with all the mouths, noses and eyes and stuff.

But I have a little question. You talk about the spirit of the shadows that Schierke was summoning, but I personally thought that 'spirit of darkness/the dark' was a more accurate translation ('yami'@i@ˆΕ@j means darkness, right?). It's probably because of my lack of Japanese knowledge, but I'm curious why you translated it as 'shadow' and not as 'darkness'?

Offline *Gyom*

• Of the Vortex
  • around the corner
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2003, 03:53:55 PM »
Thanks, Saiki. Sounds like a pretty cool chapter to me, even the part about Skully's beherit sword isn't all that bad imo, it all sounds plausible to me, it's just one of SK's amazing abilities. 8)
I'm really curious how Miura has drawn that sword with all the mouths, noses and eyes and stuff.

But I have a little question. You talk about the spirit of the shadows that Schierke was summoning, but I personally thought that 'spirit of darkness/the dark' was a more accurate translation ('yami'@i@ˆΕ@j means darkness, right?). It's probably because of my lack of Japanese knowledge, but I'm curious why you translated it as 'shadow' and not as 'darkness'?
Well first thank you all.
Second I think it is Shadows because... hell Miura must have played to Secret of Mana, it's well-know you have spirits of Earth, Water, Wind, Fire, Light and Shadow. Classic ;D
Guil

Offline Uriel

• 天下無敵者
  • Of the Abyss
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2003, 06:16:59 PM »
('yami'@i@ˆΕ@j means darkness, right?). It's probably because of my lack of Japanese knowledge, but I'm curious why you translated it as 'shadow' and not as 'darkness'?
I'm no pro on Japanese, but I know "Yami" means Darkness. But perhaps in the context it's used in made it translate as shadow?

Offline Mizar

• Of the Nexus
  • Œ©‰Ž•·‚©‰ŽŒΎ‚ν‰Ž
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2003, 06:51:50 PM »
Second I think it is Shadows because... hell Miura must have played to Secret of Mana, it's well-know you have spirits of Earth, Water, Wind, Fire, Light and Shadow. Classic ;D

But Miura would have played the original Japanese version of Secret of Mana so it could still actually be a Spirit of Darkness (there's also one of Light, so..). And besides I don't know if you should really compare the spirits in SoM with those in Berserk at all.
Another reason why I think it must be darkness is because of the words of Flora that Schierke remembers on page 8 and 9 of Chpt 220, here's my (rough) translation of the lines on page 9:

"Don't forget, that when you look into the darkness... the darkness is also looking right back at you."

They use the same kanji for "yami" where I translated darkness here. I just think that it makes more sense than the word 'shadow', don't you agree? Isn't there any native Japanese person or someone with a good understanding of the Japanese language willing to explain this to me? Even if you think it's stupid I'd just like to know if I'm right or wrong here or if you think it doesn't matter. :-\
« Last Edit: May 09, 2003, 06:55:23 PM by Mizar »

Offline The Perineum Falcon

• Slightly Green, all Ranemaka
  • Of the Vortex
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2003, 07:54:56 PM »
despite a tiny bit o' disappointment, it still sounds like a very promising chapter. maybe we'll see Elfhelm by next year?
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Offline Saiki

• Saikτ!
  • Of the Interstice
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2003, 07:55:10 PM »
I just wrote shadow cuz I play lots of RPG's...........
but yea, it should be darkness. But I like shadow better  ;D

Offline argon

• Of the Interstice
  • I love Guts Fury
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2003, 08:28:24 PM »
Many thanks saiki for this great summary.

At least we know that:
-Skully's armor is empty or something like that, there is no body that can swallow such a sword and use beherit to modify it.
-How does Skully travel through the layers of this world thanks to his sword.

Some little clues but the "big one" I was expecting :(

Maybe Flora will tell us more in the next chapter.....or maybe we will have to wait untill Elfhelm

Offline ZKK

• Of the Interstice
  • Sentient Entropy.
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2003, 08:48:47 PM »
Ah, Slann the masochist lives ;D.

Thanks for the link Roberto999, and thanks for the summary Saiki.

But may I ask Saiki, when Slann's temporary body falls apart, exactly what happens to Slann, or how does she appear while she's telling Guts they'll meet again? And if it isn't too much to ask, could you fill us in on how this Spirit of Darkness/Shadow looks? Please?

And is it just me misinterpreting, or has the Skull Knight just shown he has the power/ability to banish things to the kind of Hell we saw the Count's, Vargas' and Wyald's "souls" end up in?
"Good and evil. Evil isn't just malice - murder and rape and massacre. Before everything the Devil is the father of lies - the lies you tell, the truths you don't tell. Everything hidden is theft. Everything reserved from those we love is fraud, and there’s always something, isn't there? Yet, what everyone wants is for evil people to be off somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds and so they can be separated from ordinary men and women and ultimately... destroyed. But the line that separates good and evil cuts through every human heart, and who is willing to destroy a piece of their own heart?"

Offline Uriel

• 天下無敵者
  • Of the Abyss
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2003, 09:01:53 PM »
I just wrote shadow cuz I play lots of RPG's...........
but yea, it should be darkness. But I like shadow better  ;D
You just fell for the appeal of alliteration ;)

Is it just me... or has the author COMPLETELY proved every theory about the reason Skull Knight eats the Beherits for. I mean, a Beherit sword that can slice through into other dimensions? Nobody would of seen that coming. Miura has sent us in a new direction with Skull Knight.

As for Serpico. Good to know he's alive and kicking, just about.

Offline secilj

• Of the Interstice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2003, 09:10:59 PM »
Yes, quite a good conclusion for now. Neither defeat nor victory...
Guts, how dare you hurt Mi Lady? You'll be punished hard next time. ;D

Ah, Slann the masochist lives  ;D.
BTW,ZKK, if you think Lady Slan is just a masochist, it is almost sure that her next appearance will astonish you very much. ;D 'Cause she is rather a violent saddist.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2003, 09:16:58 PM by secilj »

Offline puella

• Gourmet Elf
  • Of the Abyss
  • Popopopopopopopo!
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2003, 09:56:50 PM »
Slan says "See you again" giving Guts a snatch kiss! :o
Then she disappears and there are just the intestines of trolls .

At the same moment, the spirit of the shadows is summonned by Schierke. The SoS blows its breath onto the earth and the trolls start to rot away. Schierke tells Guts to hurry and get out of there.

Well, it could be also translated into "Schierke summoned some spirit from the darkness". I don't have YA yet so not 100% sure of it though.
That spirit says:
"My name is Master of all rotten trees"
"I'm a head of dried up(withered) trees and filth"
Possessing Schierke, he says
"I'll feed these trolls moving around bodies of others to those dirty things by following the pledge with this little thing(Schierke)"

When Skully swings the sword, a path to the Ikuukan(sorry, I can't think of a translation for this. It's the place when the Slug king summoned the Godhand, and when Wyild died., etc).

"i" is "different and "kuukan" is "place". So it means another(different) place.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2003, 10:00:44 PM by puella »

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2003, 10:11:43 PM »
Another reason why I think it must be darkness is because of the words of Flora that Schierke remembers on page 8 and 9 of Chpt 220, here's my (rough) translation of the lines on page 9:

"Don't forget, that when you look into the darkness... the darkness is also looking right back at you."

Kinda remind me of Nietzsche ... Spirit of the abyss ? ;D

Offline Woland

• Of the Interstice
  • STOP UNDRESSING ME WITH YOUR EYES!
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2003, 10:31:06 PM »
Slan says "See you again" giving Guts a snatch kiss! :o

Damn, I can't wait to see that.

I'd like one of her snatch kisses, except she's made out of dead troll parts.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2003, 10:40:29 PM by Woland »
*Place deeply meaningful thoughts here*
Wait, on second thought, don't, It might ruin my reputation.