About the cover of Berserk # 01

IKAROW

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
I don't wanna hurt Kentarou Miura feelings... Supposing that he might read this post (who knows who is sailing through the net?)...

But now that everyone is talking about Dark Horse's Berserk, I really expect that they decide to work on solutions for some covers presented in the first volumes of Berserk, wich I personally think are very ugly...

Take this one for example:

03.jpg

The Black swordsman looks like a kid holding Drangonslayer...

In this one, notice that even the handle of the sword is crooked...

07.jpg

The colors looks old... Most of them are so static, lifeless and the white background of the first volumes do not help...

Don't understand me wrong... I really, really love Miura's work, but I don't think those covers (the first ones) would help to sale the mangá... there is no great visual impact on them and, as you know, sometimes a great cover is enough to improve a comic sale...

So... I would like to ask you... If you could decide the cover for Berserk # 01 would u keep the original covers or would u choose a different one... Wich?

Ps - I think Miura had a great improvement after volume 09... And I love the

IKAROW

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
well,

He was not the Black Swordsman at that age... Thats for sure...

Let me help you...

According to "Black sun over midland", at the age of 15 Gatts...

"15 yrs old - Guts kills the Gray Knight Bazuso ("The 30-Man Slayer") during a castle siege...
Encounters the Hawks...
Guts joins the Hawks after losing his fight against Griffith.
Guts becomes a platoon commander two weeks later..."

Well Hope I have helped you ;)

"

Garouken

I'm a llama!
He's saying that Gatts is holding the Dragonslayer on the cover. Gatts wasn't holding the Dragonslayer when he was a kid. Thus, there's a problem with the cover.

Frankly, I don't give a damn. I can see DH releasing the manga with the art they used on the DVDs. Those were pretty good.

IKAROW

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
YEAH! Thats it!

Thanks Garouken!!! ;D

And just to add more information

Gatts is about 20/22 years old when he leaves Godo's home as the Black Swordsman...

I really don´t like that cover...

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Guts starts that volume as the Black Swordsman. He finishes as a "Kid". . . . . .. .. ...

I don't see ANY problem with the cover. Its PERFECTLY appropriote for that volume.

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost
Majin Tenshi said:
Guts starts that volume as the Black Swordsman. He finishes as a "Kid". . . . . .. .. ...

I don't see ANY problem with the cover. Its PERFECTLY appropriote for that volume.

I hear ye on that. All the covers were appropriate for the manga. My favorite one of course is number 21.

LG

Mizar

Œ©‰Ž•·‚©‰ŽŒ¾‚퉎
There's nothing wrong with the way Miura drew that cover, it perfectly suits that volume and subtly hints at the upcoming flashback from Guts as the Black Swordsman to Guts as a kid. Miura knew perfectly what he was doing when he drew that cover.

And my favorite cover is Volume 13.

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost
Mizar said:
There's nothing wrong with the way Miura drew that cover, it perfectly suits that volume and subtly hints at the upcoming flashback from Guts as the Black Swordsman to Guts as a kid. Miura knew perfectly what he was doing when he drew that cover.

And my favorite cover is Volume 13.

You tell em Mizar!! I know everyone has a right to their opinion, but all the covers were appropriate for the mangas. I also like the little fold-out posters inside them too. There's on where Guts and Caska are all alone on this big, vast landscape/field. Kind of suits them , how they felt at the time; alone in that big bad world of theirs ;)

LG

Garouken said:
He's saying that Gatts is holding the Dragonslayer on the cover. Gatts wasn't holding the Dragonslayer when he was a kid. Thus, there's a problem with the cover.

Frankly, I don't give a damn. I can see DH releasing the manga with the art they used on the DVDs. Those were pretty good.

The anime art work is ugly releasing the manga with those pics would look ugly. Volume 3's cover looks allright it's just that Gut's arm looks weird and he looks younger because that's Miura's drawing style back then.

P

psymont

Ger24 said:
The anime art work is ugly releasing the manga with those pics would look ugly. Volume 3's cover looks allright it's just that Gut's arm looks weird and he looks younger because that's Miura's drawing style back then.

4 and 6 are great, but the best one so far is definitely 18 .... man thats a great one .... people seem to not like 24, but i do

G

Genn21

:D , the sword handle is crooked does that make the rest of it suck ? you have to look a few secs to really notice and the rest of the pic is pretty damn good , hell i like the cover and it does a pretty good representation of whats in it plus the pictures not to crappy and the rest of the sword is sweet butter quality

??? , Now as for miurras first manga volume... lemme repeat that because it sounds relativly important FIRST manga volume..( a mistake or two does not merit a ritual witch burning ) sure i can see why gatts would look like a kid fighting some dragon monster thats supposed to be bigger than most NORMAL humans ( shit the d.g is still bigger than guts by t least 5 inches in it ) , and i wouldnt throw a stone at the idea thats kids love the read about there own fantasy's , now being that 85 % of the pop over there who reads manga are ..guess who KIDS !!! ipy damn skippy, the mans a genius his marketting idea in that one was pretty good

Makkuro

El pueblo unido jamás será vencido!
Genn21 said:
now being that 85 % of the pop over there who reads manga are ..guess who KIDS !!!

Except, if you by "over there" mean Japan, that's not the case at all. Unless your definition of kids is less strict than most people's.

G

Genn21

:D , another cover hater ..grumble grumble..., by kids you could have guessed it was relative to the teenager on the cover maku ( my deff of kids would be around 5-16 so it is less strict and that is about 80-85% of the manga readers ) and yes by over there that would probolly be relative tooooo guess whoooo !!!! miurras home , workplace & loveshack JAPAN

Im still not so sure if hes actully hague or not , as to placeing him from france ^^;;

Makkuro

Thing is, pretty much everyone reads manga in Japan. From grade schoolers to aged housewives. I have a hard time believing kids make up 85% of the market.

Also, I think you can be pretty sure Hague isn't Miura. Few Japanese people write that well in English.

G

Genn21

:D , well ok the swede propaganda warrior gets the win on 5% of the manga readers ( i should have mentioned portaining to miurras work ) which would be aged housewives, aborted fetuses , disgruntled adults , old men , and well trained monkeys i have no intrinsical way of proving my point, short of flying to japan and doing a random survey.. or conjuring up a population manga reading statisic (which ive tried short of 2001 statistics) so now its 75% which is a whole lot lower berserk manga reading count than i would perceive for some country of baby boomers having a larger child population to adults, but just for some who cant get there and prove anything we have to make ...sob.. sacrifices ( any more talk of this we should take to aim its getting way of the subject )

ive scene hague called a lot of things but not miurra thats blasphemy :eek: ( are you calling miurra's english ability le trashyyyy ??? )

Makkuro

There probably are some sort of surveys on manga readership. And they're all probably in Japanese. If anyone knows, please do tell.

Garouken

I'm a llama!
I'm fine with all the covers, although number 7 is a bit of a curiosity to me. I mean, when have we ever seen Gatts using a shield? It just doesn't seem like something he'd do.

Guts

Black Swordsman
i think that volume 23 has the best cover, by the way, i think that YA have a limited picture of volume 23 frame and sign by miru

Bok Choy

100% Leafy Goodness!
Oh well... Miura's drawing skills of Berserk characters became more refined and detailed as the manga progressed. Notice the huge leap in visual quality from Volume 1 to Volume 14! Anyhow, I don't mind the original cover art being not as visually appealing as say Volume 13. It's kind of cool to see the entire manga series kept in its original state. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind Dark Horse changing the cover art for the first few volumes as long as they look more asthetically pleasing. Overall, I'm neutral about the whole thing (shrugs).

P.S. I am in total agreement with Mizar. I also consider Volume 13's cover art to be my personal favourite. :D

IKAROW

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Hey people... Calm down here for a moment...

I never said I hate any Miura art or cover...(cover hater???) I just said I didnt like the some of the first ones (specifically # 3, wich I want to correct... In that volume Gatts doesn´t look like a kid actually... he looks more like a dwarf or a Midget... have u notice the size of his arms, the size of his feet and his head, as the size of dragonslair?)...

as most of you I consider Miura one of the top manga artists ever... However, you have to agree that, as bok chock said, Miura sufferd a great evolution from the first volumes to his last one (have u ever notice that, in the volumes 01 to 03 - The black Swordsman looks like he wears small children shoes?? - sometimes he appear to have very, very small feet)...

And my favorite covers:

06.jpg

12.jpg

15.jpg

18.jpg

volume24.gif

lyrker

What fools these mortals be!
IKAROW said:
The Black swordsman looks like a kid holding Drangonslayer...

Squatness aside... he kinda looks like Auron from Final Fantasy X to me. Maybe I've just been up too long...

BlackSwordsman

I MUST BREAK YOU!
IMO, I think all the covers are sweet and even if not they're good. I just think to myself, "Yeah, it ain't the best but could I draw anything close to that?" My fave has to be Volume 13 though. A cool cover for the future would be like on with Skull Knight and Zodd facing off or like Later on in the series if Guts and his gang fight the New Band of the Hawk a pic with Guts and Griffith facing off or just the two armies.

I perfer the cover where it show Gutz challenge Griffin in the astral plane with God hand behind in the background! Sorta enjoying the fight :)

Top Bottom