Why are some of the Berserk figures...

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost
I'm fairly new to this guys, so bear with me here. Why is it that the Art of War statue page also includes the action figures? Are the action figures then a totally seperate set of designs from the Art of War resin statues?

How come they have so many versions of Guts...some are in the black boxes with red lettering and some with the white boxes? Is one the US version and the other the Japanese version? I'm getting confused. There's two Guts Hawk Soldier figures I'm deciding to get...one has a blue cape, and the other a red cape.

Why are there so many different variants?? It's making collecting confusing.

Then on the Art of War main page it says that almost all the figures are sold out. But the Silatt and Isidro and Zodd Human statues are just beginning to show up as NEW ITEMS on sites like explosion-toys.

Is it because this is how long its taken for the figures to get here to America, or the lisence or what??

HELP

LG

ZKK

Sentient Entropy.
I'll take a shot at this, but my only real experience with Berserk goods has been looking at them from afar... pricey little things they are. Anyway, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Ok, I was under the impression that while some of the Art of War action figures have used past resin statue moulds and simply had points of articulation added - for example the Skull Knight resin and action figure look frightfully simular to me - some of them are unique in design and mould. I guess it saves time, and money to reuse moulds... plus if the mould was good in the first place, "if it aint broke, don't fix it".

I'm guessing the variants you're referring to are mainly mass produced action figures, as apposed to the hand painted resins, in which case it would be easy enough to make the different colored variants in such things as Guts' cape color simply for the sake of giving the fans an option to pick their preferred from the series. Probably also monetary reasons - making fans like us who want to collect as much berserk stuff as we can poorer while they make a little extra $$$ ;D.

Now in terms of things being sold out, I'm guessing (again) that the Art of War site shows when they've sold out totally or all the stock they have is accounted for - whether that means to the public, or retailers maybe even as preorders. So, chances are that the items might still appear on retailer's websites etc. In that sense, places like Explosion Toys might only be getting their orders filled now - I'd imagine there would be a bit of postage time there, and with the Human Zodd, Silatt and Ishidoro statues being fairly new, I'm pretty sure that’s how the Art of War status works.

Then you've also got Toycom, who have started releasing Art of War models in the States, which is essentially licensing. But I'm not sure if they're simply importing as well or what exactly is going on there.

Then you've got people on eBay, either cashing in on models and statues they bought long ago, or selling recast of the original Art of Wars statues that have been impossible to come by for many moons in the form of resin kits as I'm sure you know more about than I do anyway.

I hope thats some help, I'm not sure if that right... but please, correct me if I'm wrong.

SexyCharlotte

Well I think a lot of them do look similiar and that was why I was asking...thanks for your reply. I think a good rule for any collection is just to collect a certain specific 'thing' or either that...collect the ones you want that are appealing to you. I try to focus on Griffith/Millenium Hawk items mainly but I do want to get as many Art of War statues as I can.

LG

guts the hawk

3713^!^3 B0^!^
i dont even think im collecting berserk stuff anymore, jut art of war stuff... but, i did get a sweet cigarette case and lighter today, i dont smoke, but if i ever do, i can kill myself in style!!!

SexyCharlotte

guts the hawk said:
i dont even think im collecting berserk stuff anymore, jut art of war stuff... but, i did get a sweet cigarette case and lighter today, i dont smoke, but if i ever do, i can kill myself in style!!!

Is it the one with Guts on it? I think I purchased that on ebay....it holds like 9 cigarettes...there's one with Guts as a 'young kid' and then Guts swinging his sword. I don't smoke either and my main concentration of collecting ( the centerpieces of the collection) are definitely the Art of War statues.

LG

ZKK

Sentient Entropy.
I hate the cigarette cases that are sold on eBay, and not simply for the reason that I don't smoke. On numerous occasions the images used for these cigarette cases, cigarette lighters, belt buckles, shirts or whatever else when someone’s decided to stick Berserk onto for the sake of making money has been other peoples work - whether its Miura's or fans'.

The current one shown on eBay is actually using a member of this board's wallpaper, if he doesn't mind me bringing it up. And without wanting to get up on my high horse here morally, I know how cut I'd be if someone were making $'s of my work so I avoid buying anything like that - even if it is Berserk related.

Though I admit to being tempted by some of the recasts, I haven't actually bought any... yet. Fortunately the prices have allowed me to keep my principles.

SexyCharlotte

That can be said for a lot of collectible things though, not just Berserk. The main centerpieces of my collection will be the Art of War statues, models, and action figures...those are the items I invested my money into. I say invest because any time you collect items that are fairly expensive I consider it an investment of my money, not just the purchase of something because I'm a fan of the series or whatever.

I'm planning on having this collection insured as well... I had my Disneyana collection insured.

Yah I understand what you mean about people cheapening the value of something for the sake of making money...but, on the other hand, if I see an item I like, I don't really care what the motive is behind it...I'll buy it regardless. You can tell though that some of those lighters, t shirts and mousepads are just someone slapping on the characters of Berserk ( probably by computer ). Nonetheless, those are the 'little items' that I chose to buy.

LG

guts the hawk

3713^!^3 B0^!^
the "little things" are not the highlight of my collection either, they're more like a womans hangbag or purse, they aren't the reason you look, but they tell you a little about what you're looking at.

Top Bottom