Ok Ok, What are some GOOD dubs!!!

Kenoh-Sama

"What is love? Not that I want some or anythi
As several of us were talking about the pleasures and pain of bad dubs I figure it would be cool if we could mention some good dubs!!! The most recent thing I've seen with a good dub is the Ah! My Godess Movie. That had a good dub. Although it is impossible to have a voice that matches exactly the quality of Belldandy's Japanese voice it's still pretty good. Shocked the hell out of me actually. I can say the old streamline anime stuff was pretty good. Vampire Hunter D, Fist of the north star were all pretty decent. They were fun. The Robotech dubs still hold up today. They set the standard for american dubs. I can think of several good ones but I want to hear what y'all think of as good dubs!!! :D

the original Akira dub is a hell of alot better than the newest one. sure, its not as accurate, but who the hell wants a power ranger dubbing Kaneda?!

the original Akira dub is a hell of alot better than the newest one. sure, its not as accurate, but who the hell wants a power ranger dubbing Kaneda?!
Indeed. The Ninja Turtle dub is better (Leonardo to be exact...also the voice of Puck in Sword of the Berserk). ;D

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Ranemaka....you HAVE to be joking. Are you referring to the Streamline Dub? The single worst dub in the history of mankind? Let me give you some examples of both compeltely fucked up translation and horrible...HORRIBLE english:

Yamagata: "That....PEEEEABRAIN!"
Colonel: "hrrrrr......HRRRRRRRRRRRR..."

I really cant go on...it hurts to remember.

Kenoh-Sama

Ranemaka....you HAVE to be joking. Are you referring to the Streamline Dub? The single worst dub in the history of mankind? Let me give you some examples of both compeltely fucked up translation and horrible...HORRIBLE english:

Yamagata: "That....PEEEEABRAIN!"
Colonel: "hrrrrr......HRRRRRRRRRRRR..."

I really cant go on...it hurts to remember.

The streamline dub for me was much better. I hated the fake japanese accents they gave in the new dub. Everything else is in perfect english except the names. Kaneda sounded like "Canada". It wasn't nearly as fun also. This new Kaneda VA didn't capture the mischivous nature of Kaneda.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The streamline dub for me was much better. I hated the fake japanese accents they gave in the new dub. Everything else is in perfect english except the names. Kaneda sounded like "Canada". It wasn't nearly as fun also. This new Kaneda VA didn't capture the mischivous nature of Kaneda.
"I-ah Im SURE that if we had the ah-proper....aaah-anaalysis we could make aaaa...an accccurate TEST. Im suuuure o-of it, colonel!

"YOU IDIOT!!! Hrrr...HRRRRRRRRRRR"

Kenoh-Sama

"I-ah Im SURE that if we had the ah-proper....aaah-anaalysis we could make aaaa...an accccurate TEST. Im suuuure o-of it, colonel!

"YOU IDIOT!!! Hrrr...HRRRRRRRRRRR"

"Oh Canada! Akeyra is approaching" ;)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
How about this, theyre both really...REALLY atrocious, but that doesnt stop me from watching them. Theyre both really hilarious.

Graywords

Bettychu, I choose YOU!
Heehee...

Yeah, the original Akira had some awful moments... but yeah, it did sound like the actors themselves were having fun.  Not that Akira was *supposed* to be fun.  *remembers the awful but hilarious Outlanders dub*

Cam Clarke (Leonardo, Puck) as Kaneda was appropriate enough, I guess.  They shoulda got better scriptwriters.  Even when that originally came out (sometime around 1988?), Peabrain was unused in biker-slang. =p~  (On an unrelated note, Cam Clarke also played Liquid Snake, a role that in my opinion was ridiculous casting for him... he sounds too silly!)

The new Akira dub... well, the voice acting fit the tone of the movie better, I'll give it that.  And the script was more accurate.  But I just couldn't get over what some call the Guatemala syndrome.  You know, their "perfect" pronunciations of "Akira", "Kaneda", etc etc.

Example:

*perfect English-speaker on CNN*

Peace talks hit an impasse today over in "¡Húatemàla!", when the U.S. ambassador spoke of unsettlable compromises.  It is still unknown whether the president of "¡Húatemàla!" will allow the ambassador to keep his seat at the Embassy in "¡Húatemàla!" City.

Where they're DRILLING the "correct" pronunciation into our brains, as though it's their mission to teach the masses how it's supposed to be pronounced.  But they don't realize how SILLY they sound!

I know Japanese, but if I tell my friends "I'm going to visit Tou-kyou" not many of them will have the foggiest clue what I'm saying.  ^^;  Because they know it as "To-ki-o." I save my ultra-Japanese pronunciations for when I'm *actually* speaking Japanese. ^_^;  Otherwise it A: sounds dumb and B: confuses people further.

Okay, bitch session over... gonna go finish my game of Doragon Kuesuto.  *blink*

Cam Clarke is great as Ryudo in Grandia II. He's such a lovable jackass.

About the news shows' pronunciation, they pretty much have to say it correctly or they will appear even less credible than they already are and a special interests group will get pissed off over it as well. But in a casual environment, you're right, it's almost arrogant.

Graywords

Bettychu, I choose YOU!
Cam is everywhere, isn't he? ^_^ Narumi complains of hearing him in the Clifford cartoon all the time... =p~

Ah hah. Politics is my weak point, I'm sorry to say. They still sound silly, though. :D

Chinmi

The best defense is a good offence!
Tenchu have the best dubbing ever.....not. Very funny.

Seriously, I would have to say Metal Gear for ps1 had some good dubbing but I haven't play part 2 yet (yeah, I know. I suck???).  The guy who does the voice for Snake sound so cool.

I thought Blood: The Last Vampire was interesting because this movie was different.  There's both english and japanese dialogue thrown together which is good.  Its more realistic that way whereas in other anime/games, it assume everybody speck the same language, even through some characters r from a different race. ie Shenmue.  Hell, even the the japanesse actually look like japanesse. I think it would be good if more anime would be like that to appeal to the international market.

aelka

*gasp* you know how hot I am? *no.*
I am not denying there are good dubs out there, but sometimes I don't even have the time or patience to try new anime series. Just generalizing, a lot of them have HORRIBLE voice acting which is like shrieks and pinches in my ears, animation that is amusing to laugh at but something that cannot hold onto...and half of the time: the WORST twist of plot so they can fit cheesecake sex and violence into it (like Gunnm: where did the dealer and the chick getting fucked part come from and what's the purpose of it being in the OVA?!?!?) I am generally easily disappointed by this genre. ;D

Dimos

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Well, speaking of awful dubs, is there anyone out there who's heard the Love Hina dub? Dear Lord!
With all the hubub it was getting from Bandai @ Anime Expo last year, I would have thought they might have given it the fairly good dub job that I know Bandai is capable of doing (just look at Bebop).
I shudder to recall the lack of enthusiasm and the terrible casting. :'(

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
:D I think I would have to agree with White_Hawk, I mean, I ordered both Rurouni Kenshin OVA's online, and bought Princess Mononoke.. I mean.. the OVA dub was not bad.. but I find they are not as poetic with there speach and never put real emotion in.. so I watch it in Japanese with English subs.
And with Princess Mononoke... they spoke they were on drugs.. they didn't come up for air..
''thereissomethingheadingthiswaygobacktothevillage''.... I mean, I don't mind dubs.. when when they are as shoddy as that.. just gets on my wick  :-X

Kenoh-Sama

Well, speaking of awful dubs, is there anyone out there who's heard the Love Hina dub?  Dear Lord!
With all the hubub it was getting from Bandai @ Anime Expo last year, I would have thought they might have given it the fairly good dub job that I know Bandai is capable of doing (just look at Bebop).
I shudder to recall the lack of enthusiasm and the terrible casting.   :'(

Well considering one of the Guys at Bandai said "The Bebop dub is the best we've ever done" Yeah I agree. Bandai dubs suck.

OliDaGoalie

it's me, D'a Lurker ;)
I only saw a couple of episodes so far of Thoses who hunt elves, but it's got a pretty impressive dub, anyone saw that series?

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
I only saw a couple of episodes so far of Thoses who hunt elves, but it's got a pretty impressive dub, anyone saw that series?

Erm, nah sorry I haven't. But the Cowboy Bebop dubbing was excellent, Vicious might not of had as much to say... but the dub was still great.

sweep_2000

Simplicity in character is the natural result of p
I feel that Ninja Scroll was a descent dub. Though I've never seen the Japaneese version, I feel that they didn't hide anything as in the way of language.

Top Bottom