Hellsing

wunwong

NOw...To gEt mY hANds uNstUcK.....
I saw it as well. It's got a good vampire theme, and good(dark) atmosphere. The art is a bit splotchy in a few places....but otherwise its pretty good. I still like Scryed better though.

xyz

The one who I thought was mine ...has left me.
I heard a lot about it so I checked it out. Art is ok but the story is not that great though. I saw 1.5 ep of it but stopped 'cause I didn't find it interesting. I do find Scryed more interesting.

xyz

Membrax

Some beast eating its heart in the desert
I saw the first 9 episodes, and well, what I can say...arff glll blll... Just outstanding. The ambiance is amazing :eek:. Yes Scryed is quite nice, but IMHO Hellsing is one of the best anime I have ever seen.
Just start an u'll see...

Kenoh-Sama

"What is love? Not that I want some or anythi
Anyone watch this series? I've seen the first 9 eps, and even though it's far from amazing, I'm really enjoying it.

It looks as if he has Vash's gun and Knives Gun!!! - Oh yeah the Series is done by the same studio who did Trigun.

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
It looks as if he has Vash's gun and Knives Gun!!! - Oh yeah the Series is done by the same studio who did Trigun.

There are quite a few similarities between Hellsing and Trigun, so I'm not surprised to hear that.

Yes, the similarity in choice of weaponry is interesting. Also, it appears Alucard and Vash have similar Tailors. The Palidin, also bears a slight resembalance to Vash.

I haven't seen Scryed yet, but all in all, Hellsing is one of the few anime I've seen in quite a while that I actualy enjoyed.

The art really sucks sometimes, but I love the character of Alucard. He's the first Vampire protagonist I've seen who isn't some angsty, whiny, effiminate vampire who cries all the damn time about loosing his humanity.

The blend of sadism and playfullness which he demonstrates when taking care of his prey is really entertaining.

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Sorry to double post, but I wanna bump the topic.

I just saw the first ep of Scryed, and imo...... it's awful.

The artwork is FAR more polished than Hellsing, but I don't like the style much. There's not really anything interssting to the artwork or character designs.

But what's more, I can't understand how anyone could compare it to Hellsing.

Scryed doesn't seem to have much of an atmosphere, or rather, not a dark one.

It has nothing to do with Vampires, or demons, or the supernatural at all.

How is there any grounds to compare the two series?

wunwong

weareallmad:
>>Scryed doesn't seem to have much of an atmosphere, or rather, not a dark one.

It has nothing to do with Vampires, or demons, or the supernatural at all.

How is there any grounds to compare the two series? <<

Dude, we are not comparing "Dark" anime only or something. Some of us like non-dark stuff, and doesn't require the same types of characters to enjoy a series. ;D I like scryed better simply due to the way the plot flows and how the characters develop. Whereas Hellsing's story and characterization is less to my liking. Each to their own. ;)

wunwong

Oh? I was just comparing it as a new anime series versus another. They are both relatively new and popular, and about the same amount was subbed. I happened to think they are the best 'new' series you can get a subbed version of right now, so I compared those two instead of junk like final fantasy unlimited. He was talking about atmosphere and supernatural themes (which was in hellsing, but not scryed), I was just talking about overall plot/character/story-telling quality being more important as a factor (which scryed actually have in abundance).

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
It's not just you though. EVERYONE compares Hellsing to scryed, and I can't understand why. Other than both series being somewhat new, I can't see what grounds there are for comparison.

Now, as far as scryed being a good series, I just can't see how. My first impressions of it were SLIGHTLY higher than my impressions of digimon, or monster rancher.

The whole robot summoning thing, just seemed kinda cheesy. It makes me think of series' like Dragon Ball, or Zoids.

Membrax

Some beast eating its heart in the desert
IMHO lot of people make the comparison only because they r both very recent and quiet popular.
If HELLSING is definitely a must-see :eek:, be patient about Scryed, when everything takes place it's much better. My 2 cents...

wunwong

hehe, I have no idea why everyone compares those two so often either. May be they are just the two top series currently. ??? Anyways, the good stuff in scryed(plot development) don't show itself in one or two chapters, wheras you get to see how cool Akcard is right away. ;D Note, the powers in scryed isn't exactly 'summon robot'. As to what it is...you have to watch a few more episodes and listen to the dialogues to reallly get a sense of it. ;)

Chinmi

The best defense is a good offence!
I heard there is going to be a movie on Hellsing which is going to be directed from the same guy  who did The Mummy.

http://www.upcominghorrormovies.com/news.htm#vanhelsing,

I heard there is going to be a movie on Hellsing which is going to be directed from the same guy  who did The Mummy.
Er... There's a difference between "Van Helsing" (the character) and "Hellsing" (the Japanese manga). ^_^;

fnh

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
That movie has nothing to do with Hellsing. There is a connection to Van Helsing but it's a little one and not really all that important, just a little background info.

As to the Scryed and Hellsing comparison, Scryed is a 26 episode series. It has more time to tell a story and flesh out characters. Hellsing finishes at 13, just enough to tell a decent story with some character development.

I personally like Hellsing a lot better than Scryed. Scryed has too many cliches and the "brash and reckless" hero who somehow manages to save the day gets tiresome. These type of hero, I find are use too much. They're only one step ahead of "beaten to a bloody plup yet manages to win with one punch" heroes. Hellsing on the other hand is a breath of fresh air to me. Granted it has its own share of cliches but Alucard makes up for it. He's only one step below Gatts in terms of coolness and badass and the only hero of his type(that I've seen).

wunwong

No offense, but i find the number of cliches in both scryed and hellsing to be about the same. Maybe its because I played Vampire: the Masquerade, as well as read most of Anne Rice's books, but Hellsing is not really very unique in its style/mood/characters at all. I also found that characters had more depth in scryed than hin hellsing, and that's after 9 episodes of each. However, I will agree that Arkard got the coolness factor squarely on his side. But then, he is a 'real' Vampire! He's automatically badass! ;D

Chinmi

The best defense is a good offence!
That movie has nothing to do with Hellsing. There is a connection to Van Helsing but it's a little one and not really all that important, just a little background info.

As to the Scryed and Hellsing comparison, Scryed is a 26 episode series. It has more time to tell a story and flesh out characters. Hellsing finishes at 13, just enough to tell a decent story with some character development.

I personally like Hellsing a lot better than Scryed. Scryed has too many cliches and the "brash and reckless" hero who somehow manages to save the day gets tiresome. These type of hero, I find are use too much. They're only one step ahead of "beaten to a bloody plup yet manages to win with one punch" heroes. Hellsing on the other hand is a breath of fresh air to me. Granted it has its own share of cliches but Alucard makes up for it. He's only one step below Gatts in terms of coolness and badass and the only hero of his type(that I've seen).

whoa, this show sounds great. Do u know site where I can learn more about this show?

Top Bottom