Anyone Watch Pride or UFC?

I couldn't wait to see the match and it's been so heavily promoted. Mid last week I was grabbing a bite near Times Sq and big promo on one of the bigger screens ...

UBN1reI.jpg

Was rooting for Holm because I'm a bigger boxing fan and her first two wins were legit, technical, although long drawn but a win's a win. You could see Ronda get all riled up and emotional at the weigh-ins which she kinda brought on herself with charging toward Holm like that, I mean what did she expect Holm to do. So seeing that raised my anticipation for the match. Leading up to it we saw some decent fights, the crowd was not into it till the main event. Good match. Grail covers why she lost - technique, plain and simple. And it all boils down to the time she's wasted with her coach. She's far from being an all-round MMA fighter and she's been in the MMA for what, 4/5 years now? Edmond's good at grappling but he's a bad striking coach. No game plan for the match, Ronda wasn't moving her head, chin was up in the air, no footwork, getting tired in the first round ... I mean, amateur stuff really, wouldn't expect it from someone who markets herself/ MMA markets her to be the World's Best Fighter. If grappling's all she's got, this exposes her weakness big time. Ronda's an excellent brawler but she couldn't have expected going into this fight like that. Holm had the experience, reach. Ronda couldn't even get a decent takedown and in contrast, Holm got her down twice and got outta the way once cos of that excellent foot-work of hers. Her getting knocked out by a humble opponent was so satisfying. Completely outclassed. And while I think it's her coach who's to blame and part blame lies on her too. When the fight was over, I did some reading online and apparently Ronda's mother was dissing Edmond a month ago saying he was a bad coach and the reason Ronda's training with him was because she'd been winning and it was part of the luck of having the same team, sort of like if it's not broke, why fix it kinda thing. Anyway, I'm hoping Ronda gets over this crushing defeat and there's a rematch.

4reqeb.jpg

Salem said:
I hope a certain 10 year womens champion finally enters the UFC. :guts:

Layla McCarter?

Santos was the champ I was referring to. It's like the UFC wanted nothing to do with her, even though she was a monster pre bust for roids. I personally think any athlete at that level is using. If she can physically drop to 135, I'd love to see her toss Rousey around.

One thing I'd love to see disappear is Rouseys loud mother. I find them as obnoxious as the unlikable members of the Lannister family.

Omg, that doom Photoshop. :ganishka:

Santos
Salem said:
Santos was the champ I was referring to. If she can physically drop to 135, I'd love to see her toss Rousey around.

That's going to be tough, I read mid this year that she was working hard with a nutritionist to bring her weight down but the roid factor's very much a deterrent. Plus, with Ronda losing and talk of a rematch sounding more exciting or bigger $$$ for UFC, I don't see Tate or Cyborg getting a shot at Ronda. Maybe this's Tate's chance to fight Holm (if Dana makes it happen) vs retiring.

I saw it live in Australia, and bet on Holly too

Ronda's training camp is a joke, and her striking is too; this is the first time she's had to face a world class striker. She will really do something about her striking if she wants to come back. I'm happy she lost, was getting really annoying hearing about how she's the best.

UFC 194 is this weekend. Anyone following the news or gonna see it?

McGregor's a cocky insulting character but he gets the job done. So this could be a good (maybe evenly matched) fight against Aldo. He's outrageous - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY7r-DwtjD8

Whoever wins will get to be on the cover of the next UFC game

vL4vrLU.png

I think Ronda's strategy was the wrong one to fight Holly. I have a grappling book written by Gene Lebell one of Ronda's teachers and it has a whole chapter called don't box a boxer. It will be interesting to see what strategy both fighters will bring to the rematch.

Just watched weigh-ins for UFC 196 and stoked for the Connor - Diaz and Holm - Tate fights. There's so much funny shit talking between Connor and Diaz off late, man oh man. Tom Lawlor imitatating Connor was off the charts - http://m0.sportsjoe.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/05044003/inpho_01027971.jpg

Predictions? Holm and Connor both win.

Anyone watch Silva - Bisping last week? Had sweaty palms throughout. Bisping was ahead and had it right up to the point where he got that knee kick on the buzzer. Close fight. Good to see so much respect between them post-fight.

mcg_diaz_2_1024x1024.jpg

UFC 202 is this Saturday and looking forward to the main card. Last time I predicted something (post above), I was totally wrong (haha! =_=). So no predictions this time. The rematch makes a lot of sense financially but the first time they fought was more about going all out and showing their own abilities vs now where they're going to train a certain way with the purpose of beating that opponent. It's what I like about last minute cancellations. I wonder how much Conor's ground game has improved or if he'll attack Nate's habit of being heavy on the front foot.

Who do you think would win?

Top Bottom