Hitman 2

I played the demo and I must say it is rather refreshing for a shoot-em up game. There is only one level, which is basically a Mafia compound and the hitman, 47, must infiltrate it and do a few things. Simple enough, but I really liked the open-ended approach (Olivier need not apply ;) ) to the objective because you're allowed to be stealthy and clever or (sometimes) blast your way through. I've never had the option of snuffing out a flower delivery guy and wearing his clothes to complete a mission :eek:. The graphics weren't too shabby either. Seeing as how horrible Soldier of Fortune II was and how UT2K3 is shaping up to be a graphical rehash, I think this could be the next best action game.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I played the demo and I must say it is rather refreshing for a shoot-em up game. There is only one level, which is basically a Mafia compound and the hitman, 47, must infiltrate it and do a few things. Simple enough, but I really liked the open-ended approach (Olivier need not apply  ;) ) to the objective because you're allowed to be stealthy and clever or (sometimes) blast your way through. I've never had the option of snuffing out a flower delivery guy and wearing his clothes to complete a mission :eek:. The graphics weren't too shabby either. Seeing as how horrible Soldier of Fortune II was and how UT2K3 is shaping up to be a graphical rehash, I think this could be the next best action game.
Im a ridiculously huge fan of the first game, and so far I'm both stunned and upset. I think a lot of my negative thoughts come from the fact that my GF4 is out of action currently, and I have to use my dinky Radeon 64DDR. I'm getting mouse lag out the ass.

Its of course, beautiful. Hitman 1 was and still is beautiful too. It's the environments that make both of these games.

I have to say though, Im terrible at this game. I am the master of all the world in Hitman 1, hit I still haven't passed the guards in Hitman 2 (but I already know what Im supposed to do). The controls are getting in my way. I think they made some...odd changes to them, that I'll just have to adjust to. I don't think they counted on anyone actually playing Hitman 1 hardcore at least once a week until Hitman 2 came(comes) out... Such is my dillema.

In conclusion (just read this part): Amazing game, graphics, art, sound, menu, weapons, creativity.... its just my kind of game.

As for whether or not it'll be a hit... I certainly hope so, but I'm arrogant enough to say that I really don't think this type of game is for everyone. Its the ultimate perfectionist's game. If you play games for frags, seek elsewhere. If you seek games with immersiveness, slow, seductive shadows and style, this just might be the perfect game (series?) for you. I know it is for me.

I haven't played the first one yet but apparently the money system will no longer exist. The controls in the demo are indeed a little odd, especially selecting items, but since it is a demo and not a beta, I doubt this will be changed before it goes gold. The atmosphere is definitely enthralling and let's face it, piano wire is the coolest weapon.

John Carmack said something to the effect of " there doesn't need to be a better engine than Quake 3 for competitive play" and I really agree with that. The deathmatch concept can only be done so many times over with different graphics. CPMA, a mod for Quake 3, I believe fine tunes deathmatch into something exciting with a steep learning curve, but that is another story.

You're right about not assuming Hitman 2 will be a huge success but for the sake of single player games, I also hope it is. I'm anxious for Doom 3 as well because I think some killer single player mods will come out of it given id's effort in development tools (and their own lack of creativity).

D

Drachenfels

John Carmack said something to the effect of " there doesn't need to be a better engine than Quake 3 for competitive play" and I really agree with that.

No, I think that was John Romero. ::)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
W00t! Just beat the demo finally. I used tactics the first few minutes into this round, but once I got in there, i just shot every guard i encountered in the face with the SD berreta. It worked very nicely. As long as you get them before they start shooting, you're unstoppable. Once they fire off their unsuppressed rounds, you're fucked.

There really are a lot of different ways to finish it. I just did the jackass way. From what I could tell, There were at least 3 different ways to kill the mafia boss. One of which only involved about 2 minutes of play. PM me if you get stuck.

A fun mission, once you get into the complex. Now i REALLY can't wait for the full game.

CnC

Ad Oculos
While games like Theif are great... i suck at them because i have some primordial need to kill everything in sight in those types of games.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
While games like Theif are great... i suck at them because i have some primordial need to kill everything in sight in those types of games.
You still can. As long as you get a headshot every single time, you can still take everyone out. I used to do it in Hitman 1 all the time. I've yet to figure it out in Hitman 2 yet, but I'm certian it's possible. The trouble is the wonderfully smart layout of guards in the level in the demo. The programmers put guards EXACTLY where you wish there wasn't one :'( . But of course, it makes it more challenging.

No, I think that was John Romero.
I don't think so but I'm not going to go through every .plan and interview.

There really are a lot of different ways to finish it. I just did the jackass way. From what I could tell, There were at least 3 different ways to kill the mafia boss. One of which only involved about 2 minutes of play. PM me if you get stuck.
I would try beating him with his own driver (it's next to his bed) but that bodyguard with a shotgun is troublesome.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
For the past hour I've been playing around with the game, trying to get past everyone and get to the boss without killing anyone with guns... Its really fucking hard. There are several corridoors where guards are impassible. The only way I can think of is by peeking around a corner, letting them see you, then hide behind something for a while, while he checks it out. Eventually he'll give up and walk back to his station, giving his back to you. Then its POSSIBLE to strangle him... but this gets tedious.

As for the golf club, the one time I was able to use it, he had already wandered off into his safehouse in the middle of the house (2nd floor), armed by that shotgun guy, like you said. But if you're quick, you can catch him while he's golfing on the balcony still.

My advice to newbies: headshots with SD beretta. Be quick and silent and always walk.

Top Bottom