Any hope for Casca?

Re:any hope for casca????

Locke11 said:
Imagain one of them huge apostles, reverting to its human state (still controlled by the god hand) as Judeau, or Pippen, Corkus anyone?

I really don't think this can be possible.

About Caska, I only hope her situation to change soon, I don't care if she dies or gets healed, her craziness really bored me.

The definition of "happy end" doesn't mean that Caska will get healed. Maybe, if she dies, Guts would lose his humanity but he'd probably became much stronger, and with his new armor he'd be able to kick Griffith's ass... If Guts gets his revenge, that would be a happy end, IMHO

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Sancho Panza said:
The definition of "happy end" doesn't mean that Caska will get healed. Maybe, if she dies, Guts would lose his humanity but he'd probably became much stronger, and with his new armor he'd be able to kick Griffith's ass... If Guts gets his revenge, that would be a happy end, IMHO
So, Guts losing his humanity, but "kicking Griffith's ass" is considered a happy ending? A little hollow.

Walter said:
So, Guts losing his humanity, but "kicking Griffith's ass" is considered a happy ending? A little hollow.

Hi boss ;D
It can be hollow. But Guts would defeat his enemy and take his revenge. If caska dies, this may be the happiest ending possible.
In my opinion, obviously.

O

Ozmo

Sancho Panza said:
Hi boss ;D
It can be hollow. But Guts would defeat his enemy and take his revenge. If caska dies, this may be the happiest ending possible.
In my opinion, obviously.

This reminds me of a story I heard some time ago. Might have been in an anime/manga actually. :)

There was this kid with a really crappy father and a somewhat nice mother. He really, really hated his father. One day his mother passed away and he didn't shed a tear over the whole matter. He simply stared blankly and was quiet. Then one day his father died and he was absolutely devastated. Why? His hatred for his father had kept him strong and resolute, but now that the focus of his hatred was dead, he had nothing to keep him together again.

A rather poor telling of a decent tale, but my point is farely obvious. A Guts in a world where Griffith and Casca are dead would be an empty husk with nothing left, hardly a happy end from any perspective.

Ah, good example. But, if guts loses his humanity, he would not care about remaining without grifis and casca.
What I wanted to tell is that a "happy ending" for berserk, in my opinion, doesn't have to be a completely "positive" one. Maybe, what miura means for a happy ending is an ending that we readers have to reflect on, to find happy aspects.

p.s.- It's difficult for me to express my thoughts, because of my bad english.
If you understand them, great. If not, I'm sorry :-\
I promise I'm gonna study it better ;)

Animegirl^_^

have a wonderfull day

I may be late on responding to this topic, but no reason why anyone can't still talk about it!

caska may return normal later down the road, but whether or not she will be weak or strong all depends on how things turn out. people who go through such tragedy often become anti social and violent towards others, and then there is how caska has ended up. even after how she is now, she can "heal" and recover with only wanting nothing but vengeance, i highly doubt it given that there is one character already with a vengeance so strong it consumes him (i think you know of who i speak lol)

a frightend,defencliss woman will probley be how we see caska after her currant state however! if this is the case, there is so many new directions the story could go, such as touching moments of guts trying to help caska(alreddy been done i know but it will be much different) even maybe as much i hate too say this, even a suicide attempt or succeeding, causing even more of a rage in guts. Berserks story and plot pushes limits at every turn so whether or not caska becomes sane, will be up too mirua, if he wants to have it done it will be for some reason that affects the whole story. and that makes me want newer chapters more and more LOL(mirua knows how to keep a fan base thats for sure!)

(forgive any faults in my post of grammatical errors)
P.S this is my oppion, and im sticking too it untill we know more ;D

hmmm.... i see caska dying as a real possibility. healing? well, it's possible, i'd sure like it to happen. And although it's not real likely at this point, i wouldn't rule out gatts & farnese either. I mean, after that whole reflection thing before the fight w/ the kelpie, didn't anybody else get the idea that serpico's gonna die sooner or later? there's another thing i don't really want to happen, but it's a strong possibility. Furthermore, that horse that tried to rape farnese caused gatts to have a flashback of caska's rape by griffith. This probably wans't a big deal, i just thought it was relevant and i'd bring it up. As far as a happy ending, if gatts becomes beast and kills griffith, what's left for him? he was wondering that himself after he walked away from the fight w/ the lost children. However, if he lives with caska or farnese, then he has a future. Seems to me, that if this is going to be a "happy ending", which i hadn't heard up 'til now, gatts will end up with either farnese or caska, or he'll die.

Ah, another idea i was toying with, what if rather than just healing caska, what if he partially heals her... say... .restores her memory up 'til the eclipse.. or worse yet, only up 'til she she met gatts. Then we've got loyal-to-griffith caska again who doesn't even know gatts.

I'd say the story could go any place at this point, but the direction i'm doubting the most is a transform-to-beast and revenge on griffith. that to me just can't be construed as a happy ending.

phant112

I'm a llama!

Obviosly I'm a little late in replying to this post but here it goes.
(everything beyond here is my opinion[just saves me from typing IMO every paragraph])

As for the state Caska is in, it is very crusial (sp) to Gut's world at the moment. It's the driving force for Guts to get his revenge on the aposthes (sp) (well one of them anyways, if you dont count his arm and his eye). As both Caska and Gutts fell in love shortly before the eclipse (as we all should know) and Griffth/God's Hand took everything from him.

If Caska was "healed" it most likely wouldnt be 100% (knowing Muira and the world of Berserk itself) She would either only remember certain things, probably more to do with Griffith then with Gutts, or she would remember everything before the ecplise, but due to some actions and the current mistrust of Gutts, she would probably hate him. But then again I could be wrong as in the DC game after she was infected by the mandragora she said something like "I was having a very bad dream", and then she reverts back to her "old" self.

Now if Caska was killed, this would more or less make Gutts go "berserk" on whoever killed her, whether it be Griffith or one of the new members of Band of the Hawk... pretty much as stated earlier.

As for Gutts pairing with Farnese, i highly doubt it. Look at how they met, he saves her from the demons (or whatever) and then she still hates him, granted she does learn to admire him (if thats the right word) later on, and Gutts tells her to look after caska and such if anyone was to die, i think it would be Farnese before Caska.

Now... for this "happy ending" that we speak of... happy ending for whom? Well since its a story about Gutts, obviously I'm going to hope it would be in his favor, but knowing the world of Berserk and the author, Muira who doesnt seem to like happy ending, let alone events, Griffith could be the one who gets the "happy" end of the ending, where he finally gets his country/world to rule over. But since that would probably involve the death of Guts/Caska I don't think that would happen. If that did happen there would also be alos of angry fans who are now expecting a "happy" ending. My point is the world " happy ending" can mean alot of things and only Muira knows for sure.

Well I think I've covered everything.

phant112 said:

Not really tho...

Do u think Griffith will hurt Caska if they ever met again? Or would Griffith keep her by the side? ::)

Aquedesin

See you soon my dear...

himura_kenshin said:
Ah, another idea i was toying with, what if rather than just healing caska, what if he partially heals her... say... .restores her memory up 'til the eclipse.. or worse yet, only up 'til she she met gatts. Then we've got loyal-to-griffith caska again who doesn't even know gatts.

Well, I was wondering about something like that... Most people with awfull memories will just "forget" these memories... Thus if, for exemple, Caska is, well, separated from the others and some badass come to take a piece of her, what if Griffith arrive and lend a sword to her like when she was a shild? Could she just remember Griffith, the band of the Hawk and start again with them? What about that?

phant112

I'm a llama!

Not really tho...

Do u think Griffith will hurt Caska if they ever met again? Or would Griffith keep her by the side?

I meant that I covered everything that I wanted to talk about....

Well as for Caska killing herself? This I doubt would happen as she plays a vital role to Gutts... Granted she is already scared of Gutts as he tried to rape her... although in my mind he wasnt trying to rape her at all, he just saw her... well naked... and she had just killed those other guys and he was reminded of how she used to be, and then he tried to make love to her... oh wait most of use already know this... getting off topic...

Unless Muira wanted to put Gutts through even more turmoal (sp) he could write that in... but I doubt he will... Since we all know that Caska can be cured somehow, whether it be from the mandragora or some other force, that would probably be part of the "happy ending" that Muira talked about.

Well hopefully I covered everything... that I wanted to....

phant112 said:
that would probably be part of the "happy ending" that Muira talked about.

I don't think he ever mentioned a "happy ending" for Berserk, just that it wouldn't be a _pessimistic_ one, which is not quite the same.

phant112

I'm a llama!

Well im not sure waht Muira said exactly, but someone posted that he said Berserk would have a "happy ending" im just going off what was posted.

theblakeman

theblakeman- your local pervert

That's what fans wanted. A bunch of fans begged him for a happy ending. Personally I would rather have a "satisfying" ending than a "happy" one. :D

it's a tough call... happy endings and depressing endings both have their merit. I think a dark ending for berserk might make the manga too dark as a whole. On the other hand, a happy ending might not fit with the rest of the manga... hmm.... a good ending....

dang... i've been sitting here for a while now and i still don't have one i like.. but for the most part it requires skully to kill void, gatts to kill griffith, and would be nice if caska at least rememberd gatts.. like said his name or something.. implying that she would regain her memory over time.

6th Angel

What a big...um......sword!

There is almost no way Casca can die. It would make everything that has happened recently be pretty useless. The only reason Guts lets people travel with him is to protect Casca. If she dies he would leave them all. The angle that Griffith is her son has not been used yet. Griffith felt a little when he saw Guts but a lot when he saw Caska. I can't imagine this won't be used sometime in the future. It is also said by people like Flora that keeping her close may save him from hellfire. I imagine that Casca will help Guts control his new armor. Also if Casca died Farnese would probably never get close to anyone again because she just got hurt yet again when something got close to her.
I hope that she is not always insane.

Im not sure when muira is going to wrap up berserk but lets face it, the berserk storyline feeds off tragedy through the continuing story one way or another, i dont see how could possiblly wrap up with a happy ending.

in my opinion the chances of caska's death towards the end of berserk will raise higher and higher, until right before it happens the only happiness in the story will be when her little half dead insane face gazes upon Gatts bloody face from killing who knows what, she will smile and die in his arms. could happen...

leto

I'm a llama!

For Caska to become same again, she is going to have to overcome the what happened when she was raped the night of the festival.

That sounds obvious, but there is more going on here with Griffith's rape then what first meets the eye. There were at least four or five levels of immediate psychological trauma and associated consequences suffered by Caska at the hands of Griffith.

This means that I think we will have to wait until the characters AT LEAST reach ELfheim, although she may have a few more brief flashes of sanity or at least clarity in the future. Even there, I have serious doubts as to the slow process of healing that will have to unfold before Casca regains her sanity. Anyway, here's why I think regaining sanity is volumes away.

First, like Gatts, she was raped. To put it mildly, this is bad.

Second, she was raped by someone who she loved, admired, and idoloized. This is even worse.

Third, she had a hideous demon child that ran away after Gatts tried to kill it (not that I didn't feel sorry for the little thing). Even Jerry Falwell might just accept the legitimacy of an abortion in this case!

Fourth correct me if I'm wrong, but my reading of the text appears to indicate to me that even before Femto raped her on the night of the festival, innumerable demons and apostiles were having their way with her, essentially mass gang-raping her.

Fifth, she was raped by the very man who taught her to fight for herself, Griffith, while another man attempted to rape her. Griffith symbolized an avenue by which she could have some degree of choice in her life, make something of herself and create her own meanings, and she learned from Griffith that she could protect herself from exploitation such as being raped. He showed this poor little girl, who would only receive one other universal message from society, that she was little more than laboring chattel, that she had choices.

Even Gatts had more going for him for as a little boy, for as a poor young male, society would accept and reinforce the idea that he could do something for himself by fighting.

Then at the night of the festival, Griffith turned around and took that all away from Casca. She couldn't protect herself; she was raped by the man who taught her how to protect herself from rape and being exploited in general; Griffith robbed her of all choice, and rendered her entire philosophical identity and the basis for any meaning in her life a lie. He committed the worst act of betrayal imaginable and the ultimate act of forced objectification.

That is because the only option open for her, given the socioeconomic class structue of Midland, for her to be something other than a peasant woman helpless before a patriarchical society where rape and pillage are accepted forms of behavior in a continuously warring, anarchical world, the ability to fight back as part of a larger cause, was taken away from her (whoops, run-on). Hopefully, she can find a way to get it back.

Even when Gambino sold Gatts as a one-time sextoy to Donovan, which was horribly despicable in itself, he had still taught Gatts some basics of fighting, if only to make him a financial tool. Gatts wasn't robbed of his ability and the meaning he had created for himself of fighting for survival like Casca was. Thus Gatts could later kill Donovon and then even Gambino later on.

Gatts could break out of being an object by fighting back; that option was robbed from Casca mentally. Hopefully, only temporarily.

Now what if it was Gambino that had directly raped Gatts physically, as opposed to Donovan-would that have broken him?

The fifth point hints at why I think many women do not like Casca; her reactions as painted by Miura, at least on the surface, are those more of an "ordinary person" caught in a triangle of conflict between "two heroic men". "Heroic" in the sense of Greek myth, especially as I hate Griffith. The problem is Casca as the "weak woman mentally dependent on two clashing 'supermen' stereotype."

My response to that is three-fold: One, now that Casca has truly hit rock bottom, perhaps she can build herself back up with help (from Farnese, another woman with problems of her own) and create an independent meaning and indentity for herself again, hopefully as a kickass fighter in her own right. Just give her losta time and volumes.

Two, a criticism that a book with male protagonists that are "mythic and larger than life" should have a female with the same traits out of fairness may be correct. But it is wrong to damn Casca for not being that character as her character is interesting enough and "real" in its own right.

Three, if she is able to acheive the first point mentioned above, then the complaint from point two becomes invalidated as she may indeed become a "larger than life superwoman".

Finally, I am thoroughly sick and tired of the following form of crude commentary:

"Duh, I hate Casca now cause she's like a retard, you know. They should like, get rid of her 'n stuff 'cause she can't tear up shit like when she capped that dofus Adon's ass, anymore, you know. Gatts should like bone Farneeze and dump the veggie, dude. Hey man, lets go jerk off to, like Slann, now"

One can then imagine the grunting, belching, and the drinking of bong water that accompanies such a masterfully confused and inept commentary.

Something bothers and irritates me about people wanting to kill off a character as being "boring" because of a mental problem. Nazi eugenics, anyone? One of the reasons precisely why I like Berserk is because it is one of the few action-oriented pieces of entertainment anywhere where an insane character plays a lead role, is vital to the plotline, and isn't automatically evil. There is a lot of possibilities for character development here, which takes time and doesn't happen overnight like some cardboard cutout whiney wimpy crap like Buffy.

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.

>:( I hate you psycological people. You can never speak english!

Do you actully think Miura thinks about all of this when hes makin up the story? Or is he trying to just make up a good storyline for the readers?

I'm a writer myself, and let me tell you, it's not easy.

I've written seven short stories in my life, and am currently working on an eighth. It's very time consuming and takes alot of thought, so I can understand why Miura frequently takes breaks, especially with a story as complex as Berserk.

Top Bottom