Episode 223

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Thinking about the Golem's... if they continue to move, then surely that must mean Flora is alive to control them, right?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The protection of the mark is Schierke's doing, not Flora's, and Slann already wiped Guts' one.

And so far we don't know if the armor has "special bonuses" other than the talisman carved in it, which will obviously last after Flora's death anyway since she knew she was about to die a long time before she met Guts.

Aazealh said:
The protection of the mark is Schierke's doing, not Flora's, and Slann already wiped Guts' one.

And so far we don't know if the armor has "special bonuses" other than the talisman carved in it, which will obviously last after Flora's death anyway since she knew she was about to die a long time before she met Guts.

The argument was about golemns though.

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Ah, it worked, thanks mizar.

Anyway, it probably wasn't worth the effort since you can just read the Japanese off the scans, but I felt it was important, especially since my translation is pretty damn, er, 'rough'. I'll translate the rest later if someone who doesn't really know japanese wont do it.

page 14
Grunbeld: ‚±‚ÌŽÒ‚Ì‘ŠŽè

‚±‚̃Oƒ‹ƒ“ƒxƒ‹ƒh‚É‚¨”C‚¹’¸‚«‚½‚¢
This aquiantance (really don't know the proper translation, I think he means Guts) of yours (referring to zodd), let me take care of it/him.

Guts: ‹l...!!??
A giant!!??

Zoddo: ƒOƒ‹ƒ“ƒxƒ‹ƒh...

ƒt@ƒt

—Ç‚©‚낤

‚©‚½‚¶‚¯‚È‚¢

Grunbeld.....

heh heh

As you wish

I'm in your debt (or maybe he's saying Grunbeld is in HIS debt, like "you owe me", I'm not sure

roberto999

The Black Chick of Darkness
Uriel said:
Thinking about the Golem's... if they continue to move, then surely that must mean Flora is alive to control them, right?
And where did we see them move in THIS issue? Last we did see them was in issue 222

Since everyone wants to know what the chit-chat on page 14 is about, I'll just quickly write whats going on.

Grunbeld - I would like you to let me be this one's opponent
Gutz - "A giant...!!?"
Zodd - Grunbeld...hmph, very well
Grunbeld - I thank you
Grunbeld - I have heard about you. The black knight who hunts the apostle's. Even though you are human, you were able to survive the eclipse.
Grunbeld - Whatever kind of witch she may be, to attack an old one living in these peaceful woods with such a great number is far from an honorable thing for a warrior to do. But to prove my loyaty to the hawk, I asked that I be allowed to be assigned to this mission...

end of page 14

Anyways, it's pretty obvious that Grunbeld is not an apostle. An apostle would've said something like "we apostles", but he just said apostles.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Saiki said:
Anyways, it's pretty obvious that Grunbeld is not an apostle. An apostle would've said something like "we apostles", but he just said apostles.
Thanks for the much needed translation. But... sorry, the above is just not enough confirmation for me. He'll be an apostle in my book until it's made more clear.

theblakeman

theblakeman- your local pervert
Grunbeld seems like a good guy (a good guy as in honorable, not as in one of the good buys ;p) and I think that he will not be all brutal with Guts

theblakeman said:
Grunbeld seems like a good guy (a good guy as in honorable, not as in one of the good buys ;p) and I think that he will not be all brutal with Guts

Maybe u mean he is not despicable, i dun think he is a good kind-hearted person either. He may try to be honourable by trying to defend helping people etc.

Secondly, i seriously dun think he will be gentle, dun forget Gutz was hawk's enemies!

In the battle between gutz and Grunbeld, i really dun see any great chance that Gutz will win, Grunbeld look too overwhelming...

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Thanks for the translation for that Saiki, and like Ranemaka says, how bout the rest ;D I believe that Grenbeld is an apostle, because page 16 shows Gut's brand still bleeding. However, would Guts of said "A giant?" if he didn't know he was an apostle?

roberto999 said:
And where did we see them move in THIS issue? Last we did see them was issue 222​

It was a semi-speculation for future chapters.

Uriel said:
Thanks for the translation for that Saiki, and like Ranemaka says, how bout the rest ;D I believe that Grenbeld is an apostle, because page 16 shows Gut's brand still bleeding. However, would Guts of said "A giant?" if he didn't know he was an apostle?It was a semi-speculation for future chapters.

Gatsu says "a giant?" because he is big. What would he say?: "A big man?"

Uriel said:
because page 16 shows Gut's brand still bleeding.

Dun forget there is still Zodd and other apostles around, so not a good evidence to assume Grunbeld is an apostle

*400th post*

By the way I don't think Grunbeld's transformer has any wings or is able to fly. If so he could make Griffis' taxi very well at his reincarnation's first days but he doesn't even show up. Zodd shows up obviously because he can be an airoplane and can get to know all the great happenings due to his traveling possibility.
By the way Zodd is the only apostle we have info he lives an extended period of time. Maybe, I say maybe he is unique to this Nosferatu ability but then why, if so?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I don't think the brand bleeding means all that much considering Zoddo and his Apostle buddies are standing no more than five feet in front of Guts. It was also bleeding long before he got to the house. And even if Grunbeld causes the brand to bleed, that only proves he's spiritually akin to Apostles. However, I don't agree with Saiki that Grunbeld's choice of words necessarily rules him out as an Apostle (unless he understands something from the context of the Japanese that wouldn't come through in a direct English translation?). Though, the possibilities do excite me; Miura's expanded the Berserk universe immensely since Millennium Falcon began and these "beyond Apostles" would certainly fit that trend.

And boy, he sure is tall, hyuck!

-Griffith

P.S. Whatever he is, I really do hope I get to see Miura draw a badass looking dragon somewhere down the line.

Walter said:
Maybe you'll shut up now to commemorate this great event?
laugh.gif

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
xechnao said:
Gatsu says "a giant?" because he is big. What would he say?: "A big man?"

Technically that IS what he says. The kanji for big (giant), and the kanji for man side by side. You could even translate it as "a great man", though it's obvious what Guts is referring to.

Griffith said:
However, I don't agree with Saiki that Grunbeld's choice of words necessarily rules him out as an Apostle (unless he understands something from the context of the Japanese that wouldn't come through in a direct English translation?)

I'm too lazy to look right now, but there are specific ways you reffer to your affiliation/in-group when speaking about them in Japanese. It's possible he spoke of them as if he were outside of that group.

Mizar

Œ©‰Ž•·‚©‰ŽŒ¾‚퉎
Wereallmad said:
I'm too lazy to look right now, but there are specific ways you reffer to your affiliation/in-group when speaking about them in Japanese. It's possible he spoke of them as if he were outside of that group.

Not in this case, Grunbeld is just generally talking about "The Black Swordsman who hunts down (the) apostles". That's simply what Grunbeld has heard about Guts. It doesn't imply anything about Grunbeld himself, in my opinion.

The reason I say that it's enough proof that Grunbeld is not an apostle is the way he is saying it.
If he were an apostle, he should've said it in the lines of
"Warera Shito wo katte mawarukuroi kenshi."
which means
"The blackswordsman who hunts us apostle's down."
But he just said, "The blackswordsman who hunts apostle's down."

Although Zodd says something similar in vol22 so Grunbeld just might be something like Zodd. I'm just hoping that Grunbeld is something different. ;D

Top Bottom