About Grunbeld's name

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
I know that "grunbeld" has become the accepted spelling around here, but I really wonder. How did you guys come to the conclusion that it was Grunbeld, and more importantly does it really fit the character?

That that guy looks like someone I'd name Grahm. Maybe "Grahmbeld" or "Grahm Beltd" (wouldn't that be like the Germanic equivilant of "Graham Bell", inventor of the telephone? Maybe he wants to dial Guts up some pain). Sounds more dragonish.

I know the katakana spelling is "gu-ran-be-ru-do", and this would imply that the first part of his name would be either pronounced Gran, or Grun, but sometimes I see katakana spellings abreviated with "n" when a syllable has to end with an "m" (It makes it shorter and perhaps more accurate than "Gu-ra-mu-be-ru-do").

Darok

Melancholy (Holy Martyr)
isn't the /N/ before a bilabial stop usually rounded out to be a [M]? particularly in Japanese (Senpai versus Sempai?)

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
It depends on what type of romanization you're using. There are two types I'm familiar with. The one most commonly used in English versions of Japanese novels will round out an n sound to an m (for instance, in Musashi Shinmen Munisai is Shimmen Munisai). They'll also write tsu and tzu and such. I think this has to do with a translation system more closely related to Chinese romanization.

That's exactly what I was trying to say in the last paragraph.

Darok

Melancholy (Holy Martyr)
Wereallmad said:
It depends on what type of romanization you're using. There are two types I'm familiar with. The one most commonly used in English versions of Japanese novels will round out an n sound to an m (for instance, in Musashi Shinmen Munisai is Shimmen Munisai). They'll also write tsu and tzu and such. I think this has to do with a translation system more closely related to Chinese romanization.

That's exactly what I was trying to say in the last paragraph.
right, I'm supporting you. I'm not talking about the transliteration system at all, rather the pronunciation. /n-be/ should usually end up being pronounced (though not written) [m-be]. the difference between [n] and [m] is that is a nasal produced by closing the lips (bilabial stop). since phonemes tend to blur and share features with their neighboring phonemes, the /n/ would most likely become [m]. (it takes more effort to say Grunbeld than Grumbeld).

sorry... I'm a linguistics minor :p

Mizar

Œ©‰Ž•·‚©‰ŽŒ¾‚퉎
Wereallmad said:
I know the katakana spelling is "gu-ran-be-ru-do", and this would imply that the first part of his name would be either pronounced Gran, or Grun, but sometimes I see katakana spellings abreviated with "n" when a syllable has to end with an "m" (It makes it shorter and perhaps more accurate than "Gu-ra-mu-be-ru-do").

Actually, the katakana spelling is "Gu-ru-n-be-ru-do", which makes it pretty obvious it's supposed to be "Grunbeld" in English.

Makkuro

El pueblo unido jamás será vencido!
Mizar said:
Actually, the katakana spelling is "Gu-ru-n-be-ru-do", which makes it pretty obvious it's supposed to be "Grunbeld" in English.

Not really. As has been pointed out, the "n" before the "be" is pronounced like "m". If you have nothing other than the kana to go by, it could be anything between "Gloombeard" to "Grunbeld," or something else entirely. Theoretically speaking, of course.

Heh, Gloombeard... ;D

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Mizar said:

Holy shit, you're right. Jesus, you'd think I'd be able to read katakana by now. That totally destroys me theory. Fuck you!!!

Mizar

Œ©‰Ž•·‚©‰ŽŒ¾‚퉎
Makkuro said:
Heh, Gloombeard... ;D

LOL, nice one. But too bad "Gloombeard" is not a possible option here, if I'm not mistaken "Gloombeard" would be written as "Gu-ru-n-be-"long vowel mark"-ru-do.

But theoretically speaking, you're right, it could also be "Grumbeld", "Groombeld" or "Gloombeld". It's just not very likely, though.

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost
Mizar said:
LOL, nice one. But too bad "Gloombeard" is not a possible option here, if I'm not mistaken "Gloombeard" would be written as "Gu-ru-n-be-"long vowel mark"-ru-do.

But theoretically speaking, you're right, it could also be "Grumbeld", "Groombeld" or "Gloombeld". It's just not very likely, though.

I thought the name was Grendel.

LG

G

Genn21

Mizar said:

Gloombeard ... maybe not

But maybe his name does have meaning.

I've been reading over this japanese stuff and maybe miura did give him some significance in his name. I wish i knew what language this ( grumbled ) desends from tho ( maybe german ).?

grum·ble ( P ) Pronunciation Key (grmbl)
v. grum·bled, grum·bling, grum·bles
v. intr.

1. To complain in a surly manner; mutter discontentedly: “The governed will always find something to grumble about” (Crane Brinton).
2. To rumble or growl.

: To rumble or growl.... HMMMMMM

Hey who do we know that has a cannon shield ??? Or coincidentily what do dragon's do ?

Lliugusamui

around the corner
from the topic Their names, I had found a thing that I couldnt find anymore now ...

Re: their names
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2002, 12:21:47 PM » Reply with quote | Modify | Remove

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mmm...

i was thinking of Grundbeld, could he be linked to the arthurian Gundebald ? : feared as a powerful King of the land from which no-one would return alive...

i have a thought about griffith too .Everybody knows that he is the hawk : a bird of the Sun and therefore associated with the Sun Gods, a royal bird to many ancient societies and one that signifies the gift of prophecy. In Greek mythology the hawk was the messenger of 'Apollo' , in ancient Egypt with Ra and Horus and of the Great Mother Amenti.
i would like to notice that the arthur's nephew Gawain is a welshman named originally Gwalchmai which means "the hawk of may "

Even if it's not about Griffith here, I'd like to add Gwalchmai means White Hawk too... so the fact of Grunbeld being one of his knights...err plus Grunbeld is said having protected north land against Tudor and I think he should have a name that does exist in some german/scandinavian country.
...Gundebald... ? it lacks the first r/l and there is a 'd' not put in the gurunberudo ...
Guil

Mizar said:
if I'm not mistaken "Gloombeard" would be written as "Gu-ru-n-be-"long vowel mark"-ru-do.
I'd say "guru-mubia-do".
it could also be "Grumbeld", "Groombeld" or "Gloombeld". It's just not very likely, though.
It could _really_ be a lot of things... "Grunbeld" is an arbitrary spelling...

Genn21 said:
grum·ble ( P ) Pronunciation Key (grmbl)
v. grum·bled, grum·bling, grum·bles
v. intr.
Again, it's "gurunberudo", so...

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Olivier Hague said:
It could _really_ be a lot of things... "Grunbeld" is an arbitrary spelling...

I was just thinking about this the other day, and how unsatisfactory I find the spelling of his name around here considering the possible alternatives. May we have a list with the most likely candidates at the top, please? ;D

-Griffith

O

Ozmo

Darok [Gloombeard!] said:
hahaha Gloombeard! thats awesome!

Reminds me of the famous translation of Himura Kenshin: Crimsonville Swordheart. ;D

Top Bottom