• Yes

Votes: 23 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Does not matter

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Azn He-Man666

Was it you who killed my companions,one after one?
Well I've seen people talking about this on and off on the board for a while so forgive me if it's been made into a topic already. I was just wondering if everyone likes the addition of fantastic creatures (ie.trolls, ogres, golems and witches). I enjoy the increase of fantasy aspects, now I'm not sure if thats because I like things like dungeons and dragons or if it's because the way Miura is taking fantasy is sort of different from what I'm used to. The way it's what people think about and how it manifests in other planes. Anyway lets here your opinions.

M

medievald00d

i think the most important part of Berserk is Griffith's dream and the Guts/Griffith conflict (and possible curing Caska's insanity...if possible). If these new fantasy creatures help the plot in that aspect, then i have no problem. But if Guts becomes your standard fantasy hero character...well...berserk will have lost its meaning...

G

Genn21

Miurra seems to keep it all under control and balanced out in a nice way. This keep's it in a kinda of sencible reality that i can accept as not being to far fetched. Like exe... gut's doese'nt fight magic wizards, and smurfs, flying monkeys and fire breathing bears every chapter ; You know this just wont happen man ! The amount of fantasy is kept in check with the world to alighn it on a standerd reality basis makeing sure not to much wacko out of line shit happens. This standerd based of our reality gives this story a much more beleivable feel which the author seems to value ( And the fans dont complain baby ).

You know nothing as crazy as the smurf's cartoonish lifestyle would never be allowed in BERSERK !

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/papasmurf.php

Soul Blader

My blade seeks vengeance!!
At least Miura adds his own unique twist to certain D&D monsters. He makes typical fantasy monsters look more demonic and horrifiying. The troll Guts fought had a penis shaped head.

James_A

Gatsu Wannabe
I don't know about all this fantasy, what really made me like Berserk in the first place was the character development; the relationships that developed, the emotions that consumed them.
It felt so human.
It really made the fallacy of man the enemy, and the will of man its strength. Now that there introducing all kinds of magic and wierd creatures, it kinda dullens this effect.

I do believe fantasy can be intertwined well, Like back in volume 17-18, it shows the tyranny of the church and the sloth of the refugees. While there was still the eclipse and the monsters, The evil was so.... human. It felt like Guts was staving off the demons that the people unleashed. But now the creatures are becoming more mythological than representative. And despite his efforts to make the good magic seem integral to human nature, i'm really not feeling it at all. it seems kinda cheesy to me.

So i say boooooo for adding more mythological fantasy.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Whatever... The only people who can't accept the fantasy elements are those who are way too attached to the Band of Hawk/Golden Age story arc. "Don't leave me Jodo!"

Move on people, Miura did.

M

medievald00d

heh, im with walter
i actually wasted 10 minutes of my time reading this damned fanfiction of berserk that was all about judeau....after he died and was "reincarnated" i read two chapters and gave up in disgust....

Miyu

I'm smiling on the inside.
Elements of fantasy have been present in the Berserk world since the first chapter of the manga. The growing presence of fantasy characters and creatures only shows how deep the Berserk world really is and also how little humans know about the world. Guts, do to his extraordinary circumstances, has been able to see creatures (mainly kill) that the average human would hear about in legends and fairytales. For me, the fantasy element really shows that there is a lot more to this world that we need to understand before we can hope to change the world.

Azn He-Man666

Was it you who killed my companions,one after one?
Soul Blader said:
At least Miura adds his own unique twist to certain D&D monsters. He makes typical fantasy monsters look more demonic and horrifiying. The troll Guts fought had a penis shaped head.
Like I said in my first post it's all very different then what I'm used to. Not in a bad way but in a... different way.

Turin Turambar

I'm a llama!
For now, the magic, the fantasy and stuff as flying elves and trolls are from Historical Mediaval Europe.

It´s in the way that people believed in that times. I like this. :)

Mizar

Œ©‰Ž•·‚©‰ŽŒ¾‚퉎
medievald00d said:
heh, im with walter
i actually wasted 10 minutes of my time reading this damned fanfiction of berserk that was all about judeau....after he died and was "reincarnated" i read two chapters and gave up in disgust....

Hey, that's SomeKindOfBlue's fanfic you're talking about! I thought that one's pretty good, actually.

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?
Mizar said:
Hey, that's SomeKindOfBlue's fanfic you're talking about! I thought that one's pretty good, actually.

I thought he just survived the Eclipse in that one, no reincarnation. Or are you referring to another story by her? ???

Mizar

Œ©‰Ž•·‚©‰ŽŒ¾‚퉎
kimchan said:
I thought he just survived the Eclipse in that one, no reincarnation. Or are you referring to another story by her? ???

Ooops, I read his post all upside down I think, my mistake. :-[

SomeKindOfBlue

How, Caska? How could you not pounce this man?
*shrugs* You can't please everybody. But reincarnated? What fic have you been reading?

Just thought I'd add my little nickel: I love the fantasy elements.

Have a nice day.

Bill

Daydreaming....
I'd have to agree. With Guts running around kill Apostle who all have one type of power or the other, it was only a metter of time until some more serious magic working came in- and its all good.

number18

a sci-fi bitch
I like the fantasy. ^_^

I always thought it was cool when they encounter Zodd for the first time and are shocked that a demon actually exists...or at least some horrific creature like Zodd, not a demon persay. It gave more depth to the world, in my opinion. (But why is Griffith not bugged by Zodd!?@?!)

Bill

Daydreaming....
number18 said:
I like the fantasy. ^_^

I always thought it was cool when they encounter Zodd for the first time and are shocked that a demon actually exists...or at least some horrific creature like Zodd, not a demon persay. It gave more depth to the world, in my opinion. (But why is Griffith not bugged by Zodd!?@?!)

Well you just need to look at his new army, or his old Godhand pals...

Kaminari

This pic scrolls no lower, because God hates you
Whatever... The only people who can't accept the fantasy elements are those who are way too attached to the Band of Hawk/Golden Age story arc. "Don't leave me Jodo!"

Move on people, Miura did.

Hmm, ironically enough, the only one bringing up Judeau in this thread is you. You almost sound like a natural fan boy, there lol! :p .

I know I'm just fine w/the fantasy elements, & we all know what a Judeau fan I happen to be. So I'm not sure where this idea that all Judeau fans are too stagnantly stuck, dwelling in the past arc, to handle the rest of the story, is coming from, but consider this proof otherwise :)

Maybe that handful of people that can't deal w/the fantasy element, just weren't present when Miura handed out Zodd & the God Hand in the anime...Perhaps they just skipped 'class' that day & therein, didn't realize the fantasy foundations of the story. Or, perhaps fantasy just isn't their cup of tea, lol.

Ok, these things just irk me something fierce, so, let me say something from an objective perspective...

That was horribly inconsiderate & pointless. Writing a fan fic is not something everyone does to appease the masses. In many cases, it is a creative outlet for the author, moreso than a tool to gain approval from their audience. I do not write fan fics, but as one that has been writing for years, I think I'm in enough of a position to reflect that it's not always as easy as it seems. Quite a bit of one's self goes into the creation of a piece of literature & to slander that w/out any just cause, is ignorant as hell.

You're entitled to your likes & dislikes, but, to blatantly run around talking shit about something one has worked hard to accomplish, is just jack assed, shallow. Talk is cheap & easy. Action isn't. So, where's YOUR fan fic for us to criticize, in that case?

No gun was held to your head telling you to read or die. That was -your- decision. Blame noone but yourself. Even then, is 10 minutes of your time really worth bitching about?..It's not like you invested salary & a year's worth of free time. C'mon.

Beyond that, did you even take the time to notice the actual writing itself? I doubt you did. There's more that goes into what makes a written piece "good", than just blood, guts, gore & predictable storylines.

G

Genn21

Christ some people dont get b.o.h was the grease for th wheels of griffiths enlightenment as godhand. It is also a story behind gut's path with griffith. The hawks were not the main story tho man. It was more of the characters to die off and give a greater feeling of reality to the story. There deaths were some ointment to wipe of that nasty fictional element miura applied ( like a balance ). The hawk's were also just the stones as griffith said to "build his path" , ERRRR !!!!

You wanna get attached to a char i say get attached to gut's. At least he has some what of a contract to survive a while ^^. Get also attached to idea i dont think his plot on life is going downhill anytime soon either. And look at it this way idea had plans that killed the hawks 100's of years before it happened so he's that much damn cooler :)

Kaminari

This pic scrolls no lower, because God hates you
You're still reading Walter? You must be as much of a glutton for punishment as I am, haha.

I've been told to hire censors, which I blatantly refused. The need for an Editor has never been in question, but hell no! Besides, my posts bring out the snideness in you & it's cuuuuute :p

Top Bottom