Episode 224

Re:Chapter 224

Majin Tenshi said:
It would seem that the wound is slowing him down substantialy. OR the fight is aggrevating it or something.

The wound slowed and weakened him a bit in the first place, and the fighting is aggravating it judging by the fact that it reopened after Guts deflected that last blow with his sword. So I guess a bit of both. :)

Grunbeld is an apostle i believe (tagging onto an earlier thread) not just the mask, size, and eyes, but those teeth sure aren't human. Nice pointy carnivorous apostle teeth.

I'm not quite sure i like the idea of Guts in that armor, it seems too bulky and all encompassing... his old armor looked strong but also let him be rather agile. While a partially skullknightish Guts would be an interesting twist on the story, perhaps he will only wear some of the armor?? The whole encounter with Slan seems to point to him getting this, the wound and breaking of his old armor, but Guts is a bit wary of "magical" gifts (his reaction to the axe Flora wanted to give him).

Even if Guts doesn't win the fight, i wonder if apostles have orders to let Guts live? When Guts was fighting the monster form Zodd in the snow he was clearly at a disadvantage (partly from worrying about Caska) but Griffith ended it, essentially pulling Zodd back. Now Griffith went there to test himself to make sure his past "weakness" towards Guts would not interfere with his dream. He didn't feel anything like he used to, but he also let him live.

It could be that Guts struggles amuse Griffith, so he let him live, or a kind of "i will let you suffer more by living on" type thing... but Guts and Caska's corrupted fetus was the vessel for Griffith's reincarnation so perhaps there is something more at work, almost on a subconscious level (the scene in the snow would hint at this).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

erutanlive said:
Even if Guts doesn't win the fight, i wonder if apostles have orders to let Guts live?
They didn't seem to really care about that in 223. And Grunbeld is doing some pretty stunning acting if he's not actually trying to kill Guts in 224.

When Guts was fighting the monster form Zodd in the snow he was clearly at a disadvantage (partly from worrying about Caska) but Griffith ended it, essentially pulling Zodd back. Now Griffith went there to test himself to make sure his past "weakness" towards Guts would not interfere with his dream. He didn't feel anything like he used to, but he also let him live.
That was because of Casca. The fight was putting her in danger. Plus, he had already made his point.
but Guts and Caska's corrupted fetus was the vessel for Griffith's reincarnation so perhaps there is something more at work, almost on a subconscious level (the scene in the snow would hint at this).
That's been obvious since Chapter 183.

Anyway, fucking amazing chapter. Even though the fight was absurdly one-sided, it was genuinely exciting. Miura's art has also hit a record high in badassness. Saiyajin, whatever you did differently this chapter, keep doing it. The images look to be much higher quality. You should think about ditching the color though. B+W images would be 1/4 the file size.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...

erutanlive said:
I'm not quite sure i like the idea of Guts in that armor, it seems too bulky and all encompassing... his old armor looked strong but also let him be rather agile. While a partially skullknightish Guts would be an interesting twist on the story, perhaps he will only wear some of the armor?? The whole encounter with Slan seems to point to him getting this, the wound and breaking of his old armor, but Guts is a bit wary of "magical" gifts (his reaction to the axe Flora wanted to give him).
I agree. Part of Guts' character design thats been rather consistant is the distinct breastplate. On that armor, it blends into the limbs too much.

Admitidly, Guts has been wearing more and more armor as he's aged. The last armor from Godo was at least half plate, bordering on full plate. This is the next logical step.

He will probably rip off what he doesn't like though. At least the left forearm and gauntlet.

Dark Wanderer

I'm evil :p

Soul Blader said:
DAMN GUTS USE YOUR SPEED! Grunbeld cant be that fast wearing all that metal shit.

Apparently he can. Even Gatts thinks that his strenght are above that of most apostles, if I read it correctly.

Also, now the wound that Slan made has apparently burst open again... Things looks baaaad for Gatts o_O

theblakeman

theblakeman- your local pervert

Heh, if Zodd transforms you KNOW he is going to fight Skully. I was a bit annoyed with the chapter's ending. How many times do we have to be shown the fuscking armor without anything being done to it? Oh well. I certainly hope Guts puts it on next chapter. The chapter was great, and I didn't want it to end.

Dark Wanderer

I'm evil :p

theblakeman said:
Heh, if Zodd transforms you KNOW he is going to fight Skully. I was a bit annoyed with the chapter's ending. How many times do we have to be shown the fuscking armor without anything being done to it? Oh well. I certainly hope Guts puts it on next chapter. The chapter was great, and I didn't want it to end.

I agree. Hmm, apparently Shiruke has recovered enough to use her magic. However, neither that nor Serpico's Wind sword seemed to affect the apostle that much? It seems like she knows about the armor, since she mentions that it's a dangerous thing, a "cursed thing", if I read it correctly.

Lliugusamui

around the corner

Wow thanks !
There're so many things cool ! Guts is hella overwhelmed, I think he must unleash cannon power before getting the armor or else he'll fade away...
I'm also wondering : who will carry the armor till Guts thru the apostles ? Or will Schierke bring it with magic ?
Guil

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you

Thanks Wally, all I did different was duplicate the layer and change the option from normal to overlay. Makes it brighter and clearer. ;D

Walter said:
They didn't seem to really care about that in 223. And Grunbeld is doing some pretty stunning acting if he's not actually trying to kill Guts in 224.That was because of Casca. The fight was putting her in danger. Plus, he had already made his point.That's been obvious since Chapter 183.

It wasn't meant to be a stunning revelation, but more of a pointer towards Griffith having some subconscious reason for keeping Gutt alive. I highly doubt that Griffith let Guts live in v22 merely for Caska... he could have just moved her out of the way if he wanted, and he doesn't seem overly attached to her post-eclipse.

I would think that Grunbeld would expect the apostle killer to survive these blows at the beginning of a fight, though you are right they would be mortal if not parried. Unless Guts gets the "skullknightish powerup" armor I can't see him winning this fight, and I think a "hoho nice fighting you boy, get stronger and we can clash again" from Grunbeld would be silly. With Zodd it made sense, but I can't really see that now... unless he is really honorable enough to take into account Guts' wound. Dunno it is just speculation. :)

And yeah, I second the b&w scan option in the future if it doesn't mess with the contrast or something odd like that.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

Guil egoless said:
I'm also wondering : who will carry the armor till Guts thru the apostles ? Or will Schierke bring it with magic ?

Perhaps Grunbeld will be a sport and knock Guts into the house. ;)

-Griffith

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost

And the battle between Griffith's dark apostles and the forces of good begins at last. Grunbeld seems a formidable opponent with his size and his armor. Then again, David did kick Goliath's ass with a slingshot. Things in Berserk are never this easy though.

The Zodd versus Skullknight will be the fight I am will be most tuned into. Am waiting anxiously to see who wins that and who proves to be a better and more skilled fighter.

Wow....

I don't see Zodd dying from his battle with SK. I think it will be more of a stalemate, with SK saving his energy and strength to finally meet Void, his great nemesis, and then it will be revealed what their connections were in the past...why did the King Gaiseric have Void tortured as a question will be answered at last.

LG

LG

I can't see Zodd dying either... he and Skully have had a long history, and I don't think Zodd is *that* far behind him in fighting skill. At the eclipse Skully essentially cut off his arms and ran by... something that Griffith and Guts managed to do once though they were nowhere near Zodd's power. Besides SK is gonna have his hands full with all those apostles. And... things just wouldn't be the same without Zodd. If anyone kills him I would like it be Guts, kind of a poetic justice for Zodd letting him go and get stronger wanting a challenger.

So Void is clearly the one tortured by Gaiseric? The translations I have seen describing those periods seem to be rather ambigious about who the "wise man" or whatever was... i kind of assumed that SK/Void was Gaiseric/Wise Man but wasn't sure.

THIS IS MADNESS :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Goddamn Badass!!! 8)

Grunbeld look as if he is as strong as Zodd if not stronger!

Btw, SayajinNoOuji from now on u are my god! :D

Grifth

ZOMBIES they are everywere ....

SaiyajinNoOuji is the man, thanks for the new scans man a million thanks wow goddamn is guts is in some serious shit that last blow from grunbeld almost riped him apart, and now slans wound as oppened again seems that no matter how guts feels about magic he is gonna have to put that armor on to survive. and sk against zod again even tough i believe that skully is stronger than zod, zod will no doubt keep skully busy even if sk wants to give guts a hand he cant whit the big guy on his back. interesting chapter and the art as always blows my mind away.

Hell

Time to kill ;D

Very interesting fights ^^
Probably the battle SK vs Zodd will reveal a lot of things, i hope that ::)
Guts is really in problems fighting that apostle bu, when he hasn't problems fighting apostles? ^_^U
About Grumbeld beeing an apostle... when he transforms, it seems he will be a dragon or something like that, i remember that normally the apostles true form should be like their armors (well, not exactly but... It will be cool if Guts uses his Dragonslayer to slayer a Dragon XD)

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Thanks Wally, all I did different was duplicate the layer and change the option from normal to overlay. Makes it brighter and clearer. ;D​

Maybe you should consider just lowering the image saturation to zero, then increasing the brightness and contrast. That's what I did with one of your last scans and it worked a treat. Still, you've done a grand job with the scans this time!!

Fantastic chapter, I am thrilled. Endless Praise to God Ouji!! *builds a shrine to him*

Shit, Guts got swatted like a fly on page 6. Gave me a chuckle actually. But Grunbeld just seems to be kicking him all over the place, it certainly doesn't look good. But this is a pleasure to see. Miura's drawing becomes more detailed and intricate in every chapter.

Page 14 reminds me of the good old days of Wyald, when he squashed that dudes brain pan ;D Zodd and Skull Knight fighting each other will be a dramatic battle. Hopefully we'll learn a little more about their rivalry in recent chapters to come.

224 certainly hasn't disappointed, but the anticipation Guts getting the armour is becoming too much! Page 2 sealed my approval of it indefinitely. Translations are very welcome too!

I want to colour a page from this chapter too. Any suggestions people?

Uriel said:
I want to colour a page from this chapter too. Any suggestions people?

I saw this image somewhere and it looks cool 8)

223-Grunbled-Guts-Coloured.jpg

JC said:
I saw this image somewhere and it looks cool 8)

This was posted by me in chapter 223 page 6, of coz it orginate from coloured YA thread in Miscellaneous section! Since Uriel need a coloured page for 224 and not 223, then i guess this wont work :p

Btw, after looking through 224 for more than 3 times, there is some doubt i need to clarify: Where is Caska and Farnese? R they captured by the soldier like i speculated? Also in term of strength, Do u think Grunbeld is even stronger than Zodd (This thought hit me when i saw Gutz got flung like a piece of paper when Grunbeld strike him :eek: )?

Yeah but if he is hurt and lacking his normal full strength he probably can't brace himself very well at the moment so its until he is healed its better not to make comparisons about Grunbeld and Zod's strength based on this fight.

Oh and it was here that I noticed that image 8)

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

Smith said:
Btw, after looking through 224 for more than 3 times, there is some doubt i need to clarify: Where is Caska and Farnese? R they captured by the soldier like i speculated?

Mizar confirmed that Guts told Farnese and Casca to stay behind in 222. Not surprisingly, after this information was made available, you still had no idea where they could possibly be. They may yet be captured by monsters; then your theory won't be ignorance of the situation, but brilliant perceptive ability!

Smith said:
Also in term of strength, Do u think Grunbeld is even stronger than Zodd (This thought hit me when i saw Gutz got flung like a piece of paper when Grunbeld strike him :eek: )?

They're going to have an irom man contest at the end of 225. Grunbeld has an advantage when it comes to weight lifting, but Zoddo is the hot dog eating champ 300 years running. So, it depends on your definition of true strength.

-Griffith

JC said:
Yeah but if he is hurt and lacking his normal full strength he probably can't brace himself very well at the moment so its until he is healed its better not to make comparisons about Grunbeld and Zod's strength based on this fight.

But the mass of Gutz will still be the same (unless u are saying without his armor). In order for Gutz to flew off like still this still required a incredulous amount of strenght even if Gutz was injured!

JC said:
Oh and it was here that I noticed that image 8)

Then i guess it was a bit weird, I remember it was coloured by someone in this board (i cant remember who but i think it was either Uriel or SayajinNoOuji)

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!

JC said:
I saw this image somewhere and it looks cool 8)​

Yeah, I coloured it.

Smith said:
Then i guess it was a bit weird, I remember it was coloured by someone in this board (i cant remember who but i think it was either Uriel or SayajinNoOuji)​

If you look at the bottom right hand corner, it says URIEL. And the left hand corner says LUCIFER. Those are my user names for both board. Not that hard to figure out!! But if you need proof, I got it.

Griffith: With you, it's a laugh every minute!

Bill

Daydreaming....

Perhaps Puck will save the day! He could always do the flare he did against Mozgus's men when they were attacking Ishidoro and Caska, and give Serpico and the gang a chance to get the armor away from the apostles or to Guts.

Shierke's magic didn't seem to do much against the apostle, just piss him off enough to change out of human form. Will they survive another encounter with the apostles? And will we get to see Skully and Zodd fight again?! ::) An awesome chapter and just us on the edge. I have no idea how Guts is going to escape Grunbeld, he hasn't even pulled out the blades from the shield yet.

Top Bottom