Do you consider Berserk as Horror?

Chinmi

The best defense is a good offence!
I was at this horror forum and one guy want to know what horror anime that people should recommend. Some people pick Blood: The Last Vampire and Vampire D: Bloodlust. No one else mention Berserk which I find disapointing. So I said to definitly check out Berserk. The respond that this one guy said that Berserk is not consider horror. I beg to differ because the anime has demons, the supernatural and psychopaths. in my own opinion, I consider Berserk the greatest horror story period. Anime or otherwise.

What do you think?

Makkuro

El pueblo unido jamás será vencido!
More important than occult phenomena and mental illness is the overall feeling. Berserk just doesn't feel like horror. Action/adventure, more like.

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?
Berserk definitely has elements of horror and some pretty scary moments, but in general, it's not considered horror. Like Makkuro said, it's more along the lines of action/adventure. But the story's got so many elements and is pretty complex, so it's kind of hard to classify it generally (for me at least).

Chinmi

The best defense is a good offence!
kimchan said:
Berserk definitely has elements of horror and some pretty scary moments, but in general, it's not considered horror. Like Makkuro said, it's more along the lines of action/adventure. But the story's got so many elements and is pretty complex, so it's kind of hard to classify it generally (for me at least).

U gotta point. It hads action and drama at the same time. I guess is a mixture of many genre. I guess it it why this anime/manga is so appealing.

The thing is that I find this anime scary than most mainstream Horror movies. Watching Berserk have totally set an high bar for scares in my opinion. These is alot of HG Giger look with a combination of Evil Dead and Hellraiser in it. Horror is define as;

intense and profound fear 2: something that inspires horror

There is a number of moments when I experience an intense feeling of anxiety and fear like when Guts first met Zodd at this dark tunnel.

O

Ozmo

Horror is definetly an important "theme" in Berserk, but isn't really what it's all about. It also has too much other content to appeal to most horror cnuts, I suppose. ;D

Makkuro

El pueblo unido jamás será vencido!
Yeah, in hentai, the story is a way of tying together tentacle rape orgies. In Berserk, the rape orgies are just a bonus to the story.

Makkuro said:
Yeah, in hentai, the story is a way of tying together tentacle rape orgies. In Berserk, the rape orgies are just a bonus to the story.

But the incest rape between Charlotte nd his father really sicken me :-\

Azn He-Man666

Was it you who killed my companions,one after one?
You have to ask yourself is the sex in Berserk presented in an erotic enough manner to be considered hentai? Granted much hentai is disgusting by normal peoples standards but is Berserk something that every pedophile, necropheliac, dandropheliac can enjoy? Is it erotic to them? I just don't know anymore.

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost
I would personally classify Berserk as dark fantasy ( if you've ever seen Heavy Metal magazine, you'll know what I mean by 'fantasy' along those lines) also. Not horror because Berserk incorporates all kinds of elements, not just gore, but the whole astral world, other worldly dimensions, elements of religion and spirituality...way too complex to be classified under horror. I guess when I think 'horror' I think of more simplistic stuff like Friday the 13th or something.

LG

Top Bottom