An american comic that did work

Vermillion

If we do not find them soon, we shall be of no use
This one is in regards to Walter's american comic thread in the 'Berserk related' section.

Well I'm not into comics too much.  The extent of my Japanese manga exposure IS Berserk. I know I know, thats sad. But one US comic that I loved as a kid was Eastman and Laird's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Its an awesome comic and in no way anything like that snot-nosed tv kiddy version or the horrid live-action movies(well, the first TMNT movie was alright). For those not familiar with these comics, I highly recommend that you all check it out!! I don't think you will be disappointed.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I never said that ALL american comics suck. I myself was once a huge american comics fan. My change in opinion came when I realized that what I was looking for in American comics (continuity, and conclusion) are in many Japanese Manga.

And beside the point, I still read and highly respect the works of a very select group of authors, especially works done by Frank Miller and Neil Gaiman.

Frank Miller is doing Dark Knight Returns 2 right now, and so far its pretty badass. So like I said, I dont think ALL american comics are shit...just 90% of them.

Kenoh-Sama

"What is love? Not that I want some or anythi
This one is in regards to Walter's american comic thread in the 'Berserk related' section.

Well I'm not into comics too much.  The extent of my Japanese manga exposure IS Berserk. I know I know, thats sad. But one US comic that I loved as a kid was Eastman and Laird's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Its an awesome comic and in no way anything like that snot-nosed tv kiddy version or the horrid live-action movies(well, the first TMNT movie was alright). For those not familiar with these comics, I highly recommend that you all check it out!! I don't think you will be disappointed.

Honestly the Best comic I read before I quit cold turkey was the Grant Morrison run of JLA. I've pretty much abandoned somics since then.

Preacher goes without saying.

Chinmi

The best defense is a good offence!
I'm a fan Frank Miller's work because it different to those mainstream superhero comics.  Sin City is very gritty dark comic with great art and good story.  Probably my favortie work of his is That Yellow Bastard.  However, I feel the quality of th drawing for Dark Knight Strike Back is not as good as his other work.

Have anyone read "300" by Frank Miller?  I wonder how does it compare to Berserk since both uses medivel type settings.

Another comic I really enjoy is The Crow by J Bar. something...  not the others ones.  I'm talking about the first edition when The Crow was first introduce.  Its very poetic. Eric (main chracter) probably can relate how Guts feel.  Both were violently abuse and their love ones was taken away from them.  Thus, they both have a burning desire to get revenged.

Artesia by Mark Smylie is a comic worth looking into. The creator made a fantasy comic with a strong based of the history.  There is big world in this comic with many places and chracter much like Berserk.  U can tell the creator did alot of research before making this comic.  The artist even draw a detail map of the places.  Art is really good but I don't really know alot about it interms of story but I sure its good.

I like Punisher long time ago because its the closest thing to a non superhero comic where the character have real human capablities and weakness.  

Kenoh-Sama

I'm a fan Frank Miller's work because it different to those mainstream superhero comics.  Sin City is very gritty dark comic with great art and good story.  Probably my favortie work of his is That Yellow Bastard.  However, I feel the quality of th drawing for Dark Knight Strike Back is not as good as his other work.

Have anyone read "300" by Frank Miller?  I wonder how does it compare to Berserk since both uses medivel type settings.

Another comic I really enjoy is The Crow by J Bar. something...  not the others ones.  I'm talking about the first edition when The Crow was first introduce.  Its very poetic. Eric (main chracter) probably can relate how Guts feel.  Both were violently abuse and their love ones was taken away from them.  Thus, they both have a burning desire to get revenged.

Artesia by Mark Smylie is a comic worth looking into. The creator made a fantasy comic with a strong based of the history.  There is big world in this comic with many places and chracter much like Berserk.  U can tell the creator did alot of research before making this comic.  The artist even draw a detail map of the places.  Art is really good but I don't really know alot about it interms of story but I sure its good.

I like Punisher long time ago because its the closest thing to a non superhero comic where the character have real human capablities and weakness.  

Sin City aint bad. I really like the first one alot. Marv is a fav of mine (I proudly display my Randy Bowen Bust of Marv). Anything after Marv is Ok by me but the first Sin City left me with more of an impact.

I have "300". It's Ok. Nothing inspiring. It's a really good art peice tho'.

The Crow is not bad. I was really into it back then. It's a nice book. It's great for angst and self torture. Infact here's a nice little James O'Barr story....

Way back when in the early 90's there was this comic convention. "Junkie" James was a guest- doing autographs. There was this kid who was a huge fan of the crow and everything. T-Shirt and all that. When he was next in line to get his shit signed James leaned over and whispered something in the kids ear. Next thing you know the kid runs outside crying and puking his guts out. >:(

Kenoh-Sama

Hahahahaha!!! I wonder what he said  8)

Probably how this kid can turn his "pain" into a "cool" thing. Can't blame James (I think the story is his fiance was killed by a truck, hit and run).

Still the kid didn't deserve that.

cthm

Good... Bad... I'm the Guy With the Gun
Jhonen Vasquez's stuff is awesome, and some of the funniest shit I have ever read. Other that that, I used to read mainly mainstream stuff (ya know, spawn, gen 13, stuff like that).

Well I'm not into comics too much. The extent of my Japanese manga exposure IS Berserk. I know I know, thats sad. But one US comic that I loved as a kid was Eastman and Laird's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Its an awesome comic and in no way anything like that snot-nosed tv kiddy version or the horrid live-action movies(well, the first TMNT movie was alright). For those not familiar with these comics, I highly recommend that you all check it out!! I don't think you will be disappointed.

I remember hunting for issue 21 (I think) where Leonardo decapitates Shredder. The first movie was definitely influenced by the comic, as it should have been, but Vanilla Ice single handedly ruined all of that in the sequel. ::) Of course I liked anything TMNT at the time and Shredder was cool looking.

Sofus

I serve the God Hand
I really enjoy some of Simon Bisley's work, like ABC Warriors, Lobo and Judgement on Gotham. He's got such a gritty yet brilliant technique in both his b&w and color series that baffles me. JoG in particular, which is a Judge Dredd piece he did a few years back is fantastic!

CnC

Ad Oculos
my room mate last year was a huge Frank Miller fan... i saw it... i love the inking on it, its dark.
However i do think the inking on miura's work is better, which brings back the debate: does Miura do his own inking? Whoever does is bloody awesome

Here's what happened to Eric in The Crow:

Goes out to celebrate engagement w/ GF/fiancee.
on the way back, car trouble.
gangers on crack decide to 'have fun'.
in the process, Eric gets shot a few times, once or twice in the head, but still alive.

he watches as his loved one is sadistically raped/killed/raped.

gangers go about their merry way.

cthm

Good... Bad... I'm the Guy With the Gun
Oh shit! I forgot Scud! How the hell could I forget Scud? Such a great comic, the only bad thing is that they never really finished it tho... :'( >:( :p

Chinmi

The best defense is a good offence!
I was recently at a comic store and got some pretty good tittles.

This comic is called Taleweaver from Wildstorm. It is oriental type settlings with warriors. Also, there is another title called Hellbound from Top Cow comics were a group of soldiers must got to hell and close the gate which is a passage to earth.

Check it out! U might find it enjoying.

Top Bottom