Lord of the Rings

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
been at the premiere of "Lord of the Rings" yesterday. ;D

What do you guys think of the visualisation of J.R.R Tolkien's book? The movie really surpassed all my expectations.
I was stunned. respect to peter jackson and all the people involved!

i didn't think they were able to transcribe the book's content to another medium that well. They really turned the process of creating a movie into an art form.
the course of events was well-organized, although they left out a few things that were mentioned in the book, the movie isn't tedious at any point.

well who has already seen it. what do you guys think?
can't wait to here cutup from people who like berserk! ;D

Kenoh-Sama

"What is love? Not that I want some or anythi
been at the premiere of "Lord of the Rings" yesterday.    ;D

What do you guys think of the visualisation of J.R.R Tolkien's book? The movie really surpassed all my expectations.

i didn't think they were able to transcribe the book's content to another medium that well. They really turned the process of creating a movie into an art form.
the course of events was well-organized, although they left out a few things that were mentioned in the book, the movie isn't tedious at any point.

can't wait to here cutup from people who like berserk!    ;D

I plan on seeing it this weekend. I've never read the book(s) but I see that as a good thing because It won't have me comparing the two fairly or unfairly but yeah I'm looking forward to seeing it. :)

CnC

Ad Oculos
i saw it this afternoon... i loved it.

my memory of the first book is sketchy.. but of what i remember of it this was VERY faithful to the book. So faithful so that it was 3 hours long... which was my only concern, i thought they were gonna skip SO much. This concern dissapated when an hour had gone by and we hadn't even set off from the Shire yet. What are u guy's favorite parts? For me, the entire introduction was splendid, and the hole time they were in the Dwarven city (tomb) was absolutely brilliant

Sorry folks... but Berserk, in all of its glory, can't measure up to Tolkien's imagination. Miura's probably a modern-day Tolkien in many ways, but there's always the original.

one thing that does suck about it tho was that i'm gonna have to wait a year for the second installment. in the meantime i guess i'll reread the book to see if there are many inconsistancies that i missed

im going to see it tomorrow, at noon. i was supposed to see it today but noooooooooooo, my stupid friend-babies didnt wanna today, whaa whaa whaaa... >:(
fat babies...
anyway, im finishing up reading the first book tonight, so thatll keep me entertained for some time. it's great to hear that ya'll loved it, since that means that it.....doesnt...suck...

maximus

Es ist einsam im Nebel zu wandern...
I didn t read the book yet but i surely will!

I was at the premiere too and i really was impressed by the movie!
like always when i am in the cinema there where some stupid idiots(perhaps the fast and the furious hardcore fans)who disturbed the quiet and peace during the film and really proved my nerves! >:(
However i really felt the magic of the tolkien story and got enchanted by his imagination in addition with a great made up movie in every case! :)

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
i saw it this afternoon... i loved it.
remember of it this was VERY faithful to the book.
that's right they only left out a few parts
(ancient forest, bombadil, actually the huge wave that was created in order to get rid of the Nazgul was summoned by "Glorfindel" one of the higher ranked elves in their hirarchy, legolas shooting down the first winged nazgul...)
What are u guy's favourite parts?
I enjoyed the trip through moria and khâzâd-dum very much. I liked in particular the appearance of the balrog. I was wondering all the time since they announced they'd do the movie how the would realize that part.

Sorry folks... but Berserk, in all of its glory, can't measure up to Tolkien's imagination.  Miura's probably a modern-day Tolkien in many ways, but there's always the original.

berserk is well-grounded, and very deep. I consider miura's as a story that is almost on the level of Tolkien's fantasy-world. but i guess you're right. noone can't matchup with tolkien. that guy was... something else. have you read the silmarillion? reading that one just drives you nuts.

one thing that does suck about it tho was that i'm gonna have to wait a year for the second installment.
at first that was on my mind as well. but i changed my mind. anticipation is something i like. things do not necessarely happen at the same time.

Yeah, I read the LotR back when i was in 6th grade...flew through it in only 2 weeks because I wanted to beat this other kid at it. I need to pick them up again. In the meantime, though, I read a lot of other series, and one stood out as exceptionally well crafted as LotR was seminal. The Death Gate Cycle. Unfortunately, it seems to be out of print :-/

Kenoh-Sama

"What is love? Not that I want some or anythi
been at the premiere of "Lord of the Rings" yesterday.    ;D

can't wait to here cutup from people who like berserk!    ;D

Hey trapped soul I have a question. What kind or series is LODR or the HOBBIT? I know this has a lot books behind it. Is it like Dune with all it's novels and rich history?

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
Hey trapped soul I have a question. What kind or series is LODR or the HOBBIT? I know this has a lot books behind it. Is it like Dune with all it's novels and rich history?
it's like 3 books who consist of 2 books each (so it's actually 6 books). it is about 1500 pages. "the hobbit" tells the story how bilbo baggins finds the ring, it's an introduction to LotR.

CnC

Ad Oculos
I know this has a lot books behind it. Is it like Dune with all it's novels and rich history?

Tolkien made the world of middle earth and gave it multiple cultures and histories... even down to making the whole elvish language.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
BIG FAT SCARY LOTR SPOILERS!!! RUN AWAY!!!
I too really loved the movie, it didn’t feel like three hours at all and the cuts they made and the scaled down characters were a necessary evil. The only thing that really bothered me (besides Arwen being so blown out of proportion) was that in the movie Saruman was just working for Sauron and not trying to get the ring for himself, just thought it weakened him even if they did feature him much more prominently in the film than the book (and who knows, he may try to still, but it just seemed unnecessary to simplify that part of the plot. I guess to keep people focused on the idea that Sauron is the big bad guy behind it all). But, these are just a fanboy’s complaints and didn’t lower my opinion of the film in itself one bit, the movie is a 10 on it’s own merits (I’ve never seen anything like Sauron kicking ass at the beginning, at least in a live action movie).

-Griffith

me saw it! me saw it! ;D
no complaints what-so-ever! the movie was great and kept the feel of the book excellently. the parts that were changed were not too much of a problem for me (especially that whole Tom Bombadil omission... that was just annoying, IMHO). the acting was outstandingly well done (speaking of the Fellowship here, the other actors were ok but nowhere near the caliber of the main ones). the cgi was fantastically fantastic, and to me looked even more realistic than that turd of a movie Final Fantasy. most of my opinions have already been mentioned here or else where in the numerous reviews from sites.
the only real thing that i could complain about (and i will, cause it just surpasses my imagination as to why the hell they did this) is the fight between Gandalf and Saruman. this was just rediculous and laughable at the very end, Saruman's super amazing spinning gandalf like a top move, i mean, come on!!
but other than that, i loved it and plan on seeing it again soon!

CnC

Ad Oculos
the only real thing that i could complain about (and i will, cause it just surpasses my imagination as to why the hell they did this) is the fight between Gandalf and Saruman.

i agree... i love the scene where gandalf tells bilbo he's not just a person who does tricks and we get a hint that he is indeed really powerful... but this fight it was shown that the extent of a wizards power was pushing people around with their mind...

but even so... i still thought gandalf was bloody awesome

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
The only thing that really bothered me (besides Arwen being so blown out of proportion) was that in the movie Saruman was just working for Sauron and not trying to get the ring for himself,
in the book they don't even realize the orcs are Saruman's at first...
(I’ve never seen anything like Sauron kicking ass at the beginning, at least in a live action movie).
yeah, i was like "what's going on now??". i was paralyzed...

(especially that whole Tom Bombadil omission... that was just annoying, IMHO)
didn't like that one, too.

the only real thing that i could complain about (and i will, cause it just surpasses my imagination as to why the hell they did this) is the fight between Gandalf and Saruman. this was just rediculous and laughable at the very end, Saruman's super amazing spinning gandalf like a top move, i mean, come on!!
possibly there'd be a better sollution than this one. i guess peter jackson was searching for a more subtle sollution than fireball explosions and lightning... however i wouldn't say it was ridiculous.
but you're right, one would expect more from a fight between the two most powerful wizards in middle-earth.

by the way, what do you think of bilbo's going-berserk action when he talks to frodo at elrond's place? now tell me, wasn't that scary? it was like peter jackson revealing the style of his previous work as a director...

by the way, what do you think of bilbo's going-berserk action when he talks to frodo at elrond's place? now tell me, wasn't that scary? it was like peter jackson revealing the style of his previous work as a director...

For some reason, a bunch of people laughed when that happened.....really pissed me off. It's weird how when you see movies, the average IQ of the audience will very about 60 points.

Overall I think they did a damn good job at adapting the book to the movie. I thought that the book was excellent, but damn did it drag on.

actually i thought this was very well done too, especially since thats exactly what Tolkien describes happening. i also thought Jackson did an amazing job in Moria, especially when they come upon the book and Gandalf begins reading it. that whole scene that follows it was quite impressive and very well done.

CnC

Ad Oculos

that freaked the hell out of both me and my girlfriend... that split second was one of the most cool parts of the movie :)

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
For some reason, a bunch of people laughed when that happened.....really pissed me off.  It's weird how when you see movies, the average IQ of the audience will very about 60 points.
yeah, those guys were sitting right behind us (maximus and me).
that freaked the hell out of both me and my girlfriend... that split second was one of the most cool parts of the movie
i couldn't recover from that shock for about 10 minutes. awesome! and very well done!!

Vermillion

If we do not find them soon, we shall be of no use
My lady and I couldn't recover from the scenes after you-know-who took out the Balrog in Moria. sad, sad, sad.... :'(

Oh....for all you Diablo II players., didn't that Balrog look lot like the Lord of Terror himself??

CnC

Ad Oculos
Oh....for all you Diablo II players., didn't that Balrog look lot like the Lord of Terror himself??

Diablo's got nothing on that balrog... that thing looked awesome... fire, wings, flaming sword and whip... bloody awesome

oh yea.. .spoilers... i guess

Fishbomb

Fear the slightly white swordsman!
Eeeeppp... just went and saw LOTR.... :-/

I can only say... so/so. I would give it a weak 3 out of 5, nothing more. Why?

Good points:

Acting! Everyone really did their best, with the highlights being Boromir and Galadriel. But very good acting! Much, much better than I had ever hoped. The actors were the reasons I liked this movie at all.

The 'look'. Good setpieces, great gear, nice weapons, a good 'weight' to them. They felt real.

Weak points:

The camera. Very basic, no suprises, why must it move at all times? No skill, just very, very basic stuff.

The lack of vision. It is very faithfully adapted, as far as the events go. Where is the build up? It crams too many things into too short a time, it is basic fare, but no extras. I have followed Peter Jackson since Bad Taste premiered, and he has never been a great director. He has his moments, but unfortunately this one is not one of them. Frighteners is a better film.

The dialogue. Not too good, in fact, really bad at some points. But other parts are quite nice.

Really bad points:

The music. I doubt there is more than 5 minutes in the movie that are silent. The music is everywhere. It tells you what to think, how to react, just like in all the hollywood movies these days. Because they have to hurry so much they have to tell you what to think, they can't let it sink in.

The sound effects. What sound effects? Since there is no silence, there are very few sound effects. You can't hear people breathe, where are the icy winter winds as they try to cross the mountain pass? Where are the creaky leather as they move? The birds of Lothlorien? The running waters, the rustling of the leaves? The creak of snow under boots just to really show how cold it is? The echoes of steps inside Moria? There is nothing, because everything is drowned and told by music. There is no longer any omnious silence, any peaceful silence, any companionable silence. Because... well, you get the point. There is no silence in films these days, and this one is no exception.

It is not real. Despite the good acting, the nice props, the lovely landscapes it just does not live. It is a movie. It is an adventure. It is like watching any cool matine like braveheart or gladiator. It is just a movie. I want something real to sink into, this just does not work. It never leaves the flat screen and pulls me into it. The actors pulls it above X-men and Star Wars, but it's basically the same thing.

The cliches. Everything was stolen from somewhere else, and not even used in a good way. Why must the orks always snarl and look at the camera as soon as they appear? Why must the big guys always move slowly and toss people instead of hitting them? Why must always someone try to run to the rescue screaming 'nooooo' in slow motion? Why does every monster move and fight like aliens? Arrows in slow motions, uninspiring fight scenes... and pleeeeeeease!!! Lay off that computer animated dust!! It did not look good on dinosaurs, and it does not look good now.

---------

Oookay, could go on here for a while... but I'm gonna stop now *smiles*. I know I'm pretty lonely in holding these views... but if you got to criticise me, so so without insulting me, okay? I never answer people who stoop to personal insults... and if you hold a different view, explain that instead (just a pre-emptive strike). Don't need no flame wars just because we hold different opinions.

-----spoilers-------

----

---

----

----

There were four scenes I really liked in the movie. The first one was Galadriel and her eyes. Nicely done, and the first moment of true mystique in the film. The second one was when Boromir tried to take the ring, because that was some damn good acting! The third one was when Aragorn talked to Frodo, letting him leave for Mordor, then turning around facing the horde of Orks that had suddenly appeare behind the stones. Nice and dramatic, my first surprise in the movie so far. And last... a short sequence in Moira when they stand on the broken staircase, shooting arrows at the orks, where you get a view from the orks side, arrows streaking through the darkness.

Vermillion

If we do not find them soon, we shall be of no use
That was a good, honest and straight-forward review.

I looked past all that though....I guess I should chalk it up to being ensnared in the whole magic of it all. Although, my one big complaint would have to be that this movie did not follow the book directly and some parts of the movie were, how can I put it..."made up".

Overall, It was awesome!! Highly recommended!!

BOB

poruno sutâ
damn fishbomb you sure know how to argue, though i found Mc kellen's acting a bit better. He was such a trustful and loveable Gandalf.

What this film as well as frighteners lacked is this strange retro look with lots of ugly mug shots that gave Jackson's early films such an eerie look - but hell you can't show orks with corduroys or old school slipovers.

However the best damn role plays peter jackson himself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-belching right into the camera in the "dancing pony"

Pretty good points Fishbomb.  I guess the movie is pretty flat in some ways.  Had I not read the book first, I might have thought differently of the movie; so it's hard for me to say whether or not the movie would have been able to stand on its own.  I basically have the same problems with the movie as I did with the book:  it did tend to get a bit tedious and monotonous at times.  Overall I really liked it, but I wouldn't recomend it to somebody who isn't a Tolkein fan.  

However the best damn role plays peter jackson himself
Excellent !    ;D
I was wondering if I hadn't dreamt it, or if it was an illusion...
Is that cameo actually confirmed in the end credits (I didn't check it)

I agree on many points in Fishbomb's review (and particularly about the music), but despite its weaknesses, I would give the movie a higher rating. I must say I left the theater rather pleased, but I guess it's only a matter of subjectivity.

Top Bottom