Which characters do you think are definitely apostles?

Of the characters that seem apostle-like which seem like they are definitely apostles? Grunbeld is a no-brainer, Irvin(Arvin?) seems like a candidate. But Locus seems more like a regular human to me. Does it seem possible that Skullknight was once an apostle to anyone, I guess there are other ways to get that kind of power, but theoretically couldn't an apostle turn against their "masters?"

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
You should read the manga first. Not that your post has anything really WRONG with it, it just smells like you havent gotten up to Volume 25 yet.

O

Ozmo

Locus looks more human than any Apostole I've seen so far, but still his lance defied all physics in it's movement. This of course could just be Miura not knowing jack about how you actually use a lance. ;D

Irvine is definetly an apostole. He fires 4 frigging arrows at a time, taking a head of with each shot and doesn't even have eyes! :eek:

It's theoretically possible that Skull Knight would be an apostole, but I highly doubt it. Maybe we'll find out in another 10 volumes or so? :)

in response to Walter, now I remember why I thought Skullknight was potentially an apostle. When Guts and company are rescueing Griffith, way back in I forget what volume, Charlotte is talking about Gaiseric and how the tower underground is the ruins of the past. And they show a bunch of skulls with brands on them. In retrospect this is why I have the notion that Skullknight is or was an apostle, and based on the sheer number of bones, a Godhand? Based on the more recent chapters I can see how those sacrificial bones could be one of the other Godhands' sacrifices'. Still if the Eclipse happens every 200 something years, and assuming a Godhand is born every time, I feel like there should have been more than 4 Godhands before Femto came along. And when Guts first meets Skullknight, he mentions how it is the same feeling as when he met Zodd? Maybe this should go in the speculation section.

M

medievald00d

Ozmo said:
Locus looks more human than any Apostole I've seen so far, but still his lance defied all physics in it's movement. This of course could just be Miura not knowing jack about how you actually use a lance. ;D

actually, i dont see how his lance defied ALL physics in its movement. Some Arthur tales have Lancelot lancing 6 or so people with one lance (forgive me for all the lances in that sentence, no pun intended). Secondly, the lance really didnt defy any real law of physics. Wood DOES bend, as was shown, and it IS possible to be accurate enough to spear 5 or 6 people through the head (not probably, but possible). Oh yea, and Miura seems to know a lot about Medieval history (possibly from random luck, or actual knowledge). I say this even though there are a lot of common medieval myths implanted in the story at places...

O

Ozmo

No, impaling the heads of 5 people is not possible with single thrust of a lance. The head would be badly squashed allright, but the lance would be somewhat knocked astray and definetly not impale it (or at least that many heads).

Lance's were ONLY ever used by cavalry charging at an enemy anyway. They were pretty much always made out of wood (a metallic lance would be too heavy for anybody to use properly) and discarded immedietly after the charge (they broke almost always anyway). After the first attack you're too close to the enemy to use it properly and switch to a sword or a mace or whatever.

Ozmo said:
(a metallic lance would be too heavy for anybody to use properly)

This does not apply to extraordinary ppl like Locus

Yep i did agree that the way Locus use his weapon is unusual, somehow his lance is able to retract and expand out like a arrow (shorta like a spring). I was wondering how he do that...

O

Ozmo

Yeah, I suppose an apostole could dual-wield taxis if he wanted to. ;D

Ah, t'was the other reason I thought his lance was weird. How on Earth did he get those heads of his lance after impaling them? Also he barely moved forward at all before impaling the next bunch, which really raises the question how he even had the room to point the huge thing at his enemies.

M

medievald00d

Ozmo said:
No, impaling the heads of 5 people is not possible with single thrust of a lance. The head would be badly squashed allright, but the lance would be somewhat knocked astray and definetly not impale it (or at least that many heads).

Lance's were ONLY ever used by cavalry charging at an enemy anyway. They were pretty much always made out of wood (a metallic lance would be too heavy for anybody to use properly) and discarded immedietly after the charge (they broke almost always anyway). After the first attack you're too close to the enemy to use it properly and switch to a sword or a mace or whatever.

it IS possible, NOT probable. lances were used by cavalry charging at an enemy, but they were metal tipped, and were made of ash. They rarely broke. Also, they did not discard the lance immediately. They retreated, and charged a few more times before they discarded the lance and moved on to the mace/sword. Oh yea, and the lance breaking is a common myth. What moron would take a lance that was sure to break with him into battle?

http://users.wpi.edu/~jforgeng/MedievalIQP/weapons_12.htm

"Most 13th century lances were between 9 and 13 feet long (Oakeshott 1963: 258). Most lances had a head shaped like a willow or laurel leaf, which was made of iron and tapered to a sharp point (Tarassuk & Blair 1979: 307). This head was made for mounted combat and was designed to pierce rather than cut. As a weapon, it was used with devastating force."

It is true however, that after the 13th century, attachments/improvements were made to the lance so it would not pierce too deeply (so they could extract the lance, and charge with it again). Therefore, Locus would be using a pre-13 century lance, and aiming for the head. Very possible that he was human.

O

Ozmo

Before I say anything else, thank you for the extremely intresting link! 'Thas delayed my response at least for a good hour or so. :)

Hmmm... ok, I think I was trying to an expert in what I'm not here. I typed my previous post out of memory and well... I trust you over my memory in this case. ;)

The thing about lances breaking is not that stupid in my oppinion. The entire point was to have an extremely devastating weapon on the charge that would definetly be used in close-quarters melee (like Locus does btw :) ). You read yourself how devastating a lance impact can be and a long and somewhat narrow piece of wood breaking under such stress is easy to imagine. They probably had loads of spares anyway.

You can notice how I'm being on the defence in an argument from the amount of smilies I'm using. ;D

M

medievald00d

well, lances DID break. It seems to be a common myth that they always broke. Or that they were built to break on impact. In a life and death battle, you dont charge as fast as you can with a weapon that will shatter on impact.

Oh yea, and i will agree with you that its nearly impossible to spear 5 or 6 people through the head. Its probably never happened, and probably never will, but physically IS possible...

Oh yea, and i do agree Locus is probably an apostle the way he uses his lance. But its still humanly possible...

medievald00d said:
well, lances DID break.

Well, Locus lances is not that simple, his lance does not break (did u see guys?) so i guess it has to metallic.

Also the reason y i mention his lance is like a spring because there is a very big different in length, his lance doesnt appear to be as long as he was piercing the heads (I guess more than 6 heads and it got to be more than 13 feets long) than he was not attacking.

P.S Anything in Berserk can be happening, maybe u should imagine the lance as Irvine bow and u get what i mean! ;)

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost
I would have to say Irvine, ( check out those arrows with the eyes) Grunbeld ( because of his superhuman size, mainly) for now.

LG

Locke11

Oompa Loompas For Sale!!!
Ummm you guys do know that this is a manga, called Berserk. I even imagine some of you have read most of it. (Sarcasm)

Dont you realise there are wind spirits and whatnot. If he is human, than possibley hes using them to make his attack quicker and whatnot. You cannot rule anything out in a world... thats 3 worlds in 1 (I think).

Remember, its not whether or not its possible in our world. Its whether or not its possible in the Berserk world.

Besides, theres gotta be more Wizards than those mentioned so far. Hell, I have reason to believe sk could have been a Wizard, as he can fly... but thats another story.

M

medievald00d

the point is, if its possible in our world, it HAS to be possible in the Berserk world. So explaining it in the real world gives a fairly decent proof that it could more easily be done in the Berserk world

medievald00d said:
the point is, if its possible in our world, it HAS to be possible in the Berserk world. So explaining it in the real world gives a fairly decent proof that it could more easily be done in the Berserk world

But considering the top 5 character who joined Griffith, do u think that require a logic to explain the way they use their weapon?

Azn He-Man666

Was it you who killed my companions,one after one?
I think it would be cool if Locus was not a apostle and just a really powerful human. Grunbeld sucks and for me Irvine the blind archer is to cliched but I will admit that the eyes on the arrows is new.

O

Ozmo

Saiki said:
Grunbeld has said that he is an apostle of the Band of Hawks

I don't remember anything like, but turning into a dragon kinda gave him away. :)

Saiki said:
Grunbeld has said that he is an apostle of the Band of Hawks

It doesnt make sense when he mentioned it only after he had (or abt to) turn to a dragon...

Btw, not all of us had YA, we are all counting on Saiya 8)

Top Bottom