The poorest character in berserk

Who makes you say "poor thing" so often?

• Guts

Votes: 38 84.4%
  • Griffith

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Judo

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Casca

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Jill

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Rochine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • the ones killed by the Hawk members

• Carcus

• Total voters

puella

Berserk forever
Wow, to me, they all are so poor. :'(
But I'd choose Carkus.
I can't forget his last scene....

Do vote! Poll must go on

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I voted for Guts since everyone seems to always underestimate his ability, even the Berserk fans. Although, for the past few chapters, I've really been saying "Poor guy..." about Grunbeld. The guy doesn't stand a chance.

Graywords

Bettychu, I choose YOU!
I went for Judo, just because I feel sorry for him... he didn't get the girl, and didn't get to survive, but he didn't whine about it. ^_^

I woulda voted for Jill, if she was up there... I mean she has Zepec for a dad, for crying out loud! Not to mention nearly frying in a forest fire, getting dead child-insect embryotic juice all over you, nearly getting killed countless times, being the bait for getting her best friend impaled... ^_-

puella

Berserk forever
Graywords said:
I woulda voted for Jill, if she was up there... I mean she has Zepec for a dad, for crying out loud! Not to mention nearly frying in a forest fire, getting dead child-insect embryotic juice all over you, nearly getting killed countless times, being the bait for getting her best friend impaled... ^_-

Ah, I forgot Jill.
edited ;)

Graywords

Bettychu, I choose YOU!
Walter said:
Jill complains too much to feel sorry for.

Seriously? I'd complain too if I had all that shit I listed above happen to me. I find her whining to be pretty legitimate. ^^ Compared to Corcus, for example, who just seems to whine for the fun of it. *blinks*

EDIT: Now, the question is, can I edit my vote? ^_^;;

M

medievald00d

I went for Judo same reason as Grey

Anyone notice that just about everyone thats joining Guts in his journey all have lived happy lives (comparatively, with the original band of the hawk) except possibly Serpico?

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
What?! How can you guys forget Vargas? If anything, he had it the worst :-\

I would have voted for Griffith, because he had those horrid years of torture. But, if that didn't happen, neither would the events that followed. Therefore, I'm going to be dull and just say Judo. His death touched me more than anyone else's, even Corkus'. And he is one of my favourite characters! Corkus went out like a hero: Between a pair of knockers.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Walter said:
If Guts doesn't win this...​
I've never really felt sorry for Guts. The reason? Well, instead of feeling sorry for himself and letting his cruel destiny and life crush him, he fights against it. He declared War upon his fate. If anything, I respect and falling in awe of his determination. I've never, ever pitied him.

Darok

Melancholy (Holy Martyr)
I dunno.... the only person that matters in his world is insane and hates him. She does NOT hate Griffith, who caused all these horrid things to happen to her. I think that is well worth pitying him.

Well, if I was going to try and compound who has had the toughest life and who deserves the most pity, I'd prolly say Jill or Griffith. Jill because of the reasons graywords listed, and maybe I read wrong, but it seemed implied to me that she was also raped or molested by her father's friends. Grif because no matter how much crap anyone else has gone through, nobody's had to endure anything like the torture he did in the tower. Hmm.. I suppose the behelit apostle has gone through some crap too, actually. Despite all this my vote went actually to Roshinu, even though she was evil and pretty much got what she had coming, her death scene was just so incredibly sad! And her childhood... believing in elves, and never finding any... sacrificing her parents and so on. :'( Judo was a close second. He was another character I really liked and he died, although honorably, just as meaninglessly as Corkus, who i never felt an ounce of sympathy for. Poor guy, he was one of my favorite characters. :'(

IMO, the poorest character in Berserk is Gutz and Caska's child. It was born as a demon. Was hated by it's dad(Gutz). It tried it's best to help its mom and died in the process. And it was obvious that it was a demon but it cared for both Caska and Gutz.

And in the end, it got its body taken over by Griffith.

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?
My vote goes to Guts. Come on, the guy's had a terrible life, starting right on the day he was born.

Nadiaska

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Saiki said:
IMO, the poorest character in Berserk is Gutz and Caska's child. It was born as a demon. Was hated by it's dad(Gutz). It tried it's best to help its mom and died in the process. And it was obvious that it was a demon but it cared for both Caska and Gutz.

And in the end, it got its body taken over by Griffith.

It is truth, was very sad! I voted in the Gatts, why with certainty he was what had (and has) the life saddest since your infancy, after all to be damaged and almost assassinated for the stepfather, is hard ! I find that the only moments that we can speak that they had been happyer for the Gatts were together with the hawks and Caska, after this it ate the bread that the devil kneaded ! :'( Another one that had a very sad life was the Lucine, I until understood why is that she was so happy in the forest. :'(

Miyu

I'm smiling on the inside.
kimchan said:
My vote goes to Guts. Come on, the guy's had a terrible life, starting right on the day he was born.

Exactly! Let's just sit here and go down the list shall we:

--born from a dead woman
--indirect cause of Shizu's, his adopted mother, death
--killed his adopted father, who never showed him any love
--raped by Donovan
--watched the love of his life get raped by his former best friend
--was the reason Griffith deteriorated and probably knows it
--lost and eye and an arm along with all of his close companions, living to tell about it
--has a child with Casca who isn't even human
--fights for his life day in and day out 24/7
--has to fight his inner beast from killing Casca

Is there anything I'm missing?
Granted, we see practically everything Guts has suffered through, but it is still a lot for one human being to have to endure. He has dealt with more than enough of his share of mental and physical pain.
I feel sympathy for everyone else on the list, but not as much as I do for Guts.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Miyu said:
--killed his adopted father, who never showed him any love
Oh, give the man a little credit. What about the seashell ointment. One of the most touching scenes in the series, Gambino actually trying not to be a total asshole.

I still agree with you, but Gambino is my man.

puella

Berserk forever
Walter said:
Oh, give the man a little credit. What about the seashell ointment. One of the most touching scenes in the series, Gambino actually trying not to be a total asshole.

Yup, yup! I love the ontment scene.
I think Gambino had showed his love for Guts in his own way before Siz died and he lost his leg.
It's just sad thing that Guts inevitably had to kill Gambino.

Anyways, he is Guts' actual father.

Ok, all the crap that happened to gatts, was mostly psychological. And gatts is pretty tough in that aspect. I still don't think it holds a candle to griffith being tortured the way he was. Yes, a lot of crap happened to gatts, but he didn't take it as hard as a normal person would because he's tough that way. I feel more admiration for gatts than sympathy (don't remember who said that first). Anway, what actually generates sympathy from me is not who has officially scored highest on the your-life-sucks-o-meter, it's more dependent on how they reacted, what their character was like, and even things as simple as lines and art. Judo was one of my favorite characters... the way he died was brave and loyal to the end. He was a great character, he shouldn't have had to die like that. Roshinu... man, just the way she talked and cried at the end was what got to me, not to mention she was just a young girl... I mean c'mon people, she flies off wounded and delerious saying "Mom and Dad will be worried" and straining to say"..Hun... I'm.. Hungry... "I wonder what's for supper". and then she plumets toward the ground. That whole sequence was specifically written to depress the crap out of the reader, and dangit, it works.

Miyu

I'm smiling on the inside.
Walter said:

Sorry Walter, I forgot about that scene. ;D

I still don't think it holds a candle to griffith being tortured the way he was.

One year of torture vs. a lifetime. Remember, in the end Griffith gets to become a Godhand while Guts still gets gimped by life in general.

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost
Well I have to say Roshina. There was something really tragic to me about the whole Lost Children arc. There's the scene where she's dying and she wants to go home, but like Pirkaf there's no home to go to. Then the manga shows a small picture of Roshina sitting at the table with her dad, her mom with a hot dinner, and they're all smiling and laughing. Even though life wasn't the happiest for little girls or young people in general, at least Jill realized, her village wasn't so bad after all, and there was far worse in the world.

I can't say poor thing for Caska because although her state of mind is indeed tragic, she was so strong and capable before, and I feel she will be again.

Guts ran a close second because like Walter said above, people underestimate his capability, and he basically grew up knowing only how to fight and kill...there was no love for him as a child either.

LG

night wolf

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
ADON
adonthumb.jpg

;D

Top Bottom