Manga Recomendations

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
Well, This was the interview I read.

Jake Forbes: The artwork in Priest is very different from other manwha I've seen. What were your influences?

Min-Woo Hyung: Hell Boy. The first time I saw this comic, I was blown away by its innovative and shocking style. To this day, I cannot forget that series.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well, graphism doesn't really look like Hellboy to me, anyway, I was talking in a broader, scenaristic way. It's no secret that he admires Miura, or at least that's what I've always heard.

In regards to manwha, I'd also recommend Priest. I've read all the volumes released so far by Tokyopop and enjoyed every one. Those who read Berserk will probably find a lot to like in Priest. The art style is unique and fits the tone.

Does anybody here know the current status of Priest? Tokyopop lists 15 volumes, but I read somewhere else that the series is still ongoing?

FWIW, I also like Rebirth. It's not as "deep" or serious as Priest, and it's melodramatic at times, but I like the characters and find myself hooked on the story anyway.

Manga-wise, in addition to Berserk, I also buy Trigun, Hellsing, Bastard, Vagabond, Saiyuki, and some Inuyasha here and there. For American-published comic series, I always recommend Preacher.

I prefer action and adventure with lots of good character interaction -- and apparently I also have a fondness for rogue preachers and priests...

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
miurafan said:
Does anybody here know the current status of Priest? Tokyopop lists 15 volumes, but I read somewhere else that the series is still ongoing?
I read that the series is planned to continue until vol. 25, but it was only an estimate. ;)

Jake Forbes: Do you have an end planned for Priest? What will be the final volume?

Min-Woo Hyung: I've had some ideas for the ending but I'm not sure whether this ending will be feasible. I planned on ending the series at volume 25 but I'm not sure about that either. I'm not the methodical and prudent planner type.

Check out XXXHOLIC it's a really good manga by CLAMP it's probably their best work so far. It has great art and it's about super natural stuff. :eek:

Also check out Negima it's by Ken Akamatsu the guy who made Love Hina. It's really funny. The first two volumes don't have much of a storywise but it's really gets going in volume three. It's already being made into a series it's suppose to come out this month. :)

Also want to add that Ah My Goddess is also being made into a anime series it's coming out this month too in Japan. :)

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
ZODDGUTSU said:
Also want to add that Ah My Goddess is also being made into a anime series it's coming out this month too in Japan. :)

Uhh hate to break it to you, but I believe this has been a series for awhile already.

Nosferatu

BERSERK
I recommend the following:

Vagabond
Angel Sanctuary
Berserk (duh ;))
Samurai Deeper Kyo (think Kenshin but different)
Blade of the Immortal

Lliugusamui

around the corner
I'm also fond of nausicaa, blame in some way, sanctuary (what ? buronson making this damn scenario ? no waaay ;) )...
As for BOTI, volume 10 appeared in france quite recently, have you caught it "lex" ? I liked it a lot, feeling the roughness in my guts.
Guil

Oltobaz

Cancer no Deathmask
Actually, part of my BOTI collection is french, the other part being from Viz-one of the main american editors-if only just because while there are only ten volumes in France so far, there must be at least 13 vols in America. Well,vol14 might come out pretty soon, if that's not already the case.
And that's just the collected issues...Anyways, yeah it's pretty chillin', to the bone that is...
I'll have to send you a pic from my Manji little figure. I got it when I was over in Tokyo, and I haven't seen it anywhere else, so far.It's been designed by this Onohide guy, I think that's his name, who sculpted so many of the Hokuto no Ken figures...

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Uhh hate to break it to you, but I believe this has been a series for awhile already.

I know the OVA, mini tv series that had the characters in SD mode, and the Movie.

But here's the TV series which suppose to come out tomorrow it's a contiunation of the OVA series. If the TV series is succesful enough the animation company plans to adapt the whole manga into anime form. So for now plan for 26 episodes but if becomes a success it be more than 26 episodes.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=3639

And here's some screenshots for episode one for the TV series.

http://s105630965.onlinehome.us/anime/AMGTV_CM_Shots.jpg

Nosferatu said:
Samurai Deeper Kyo (think Kenshin but different)

More like a mix between kenshin and Trigun...

And I would suggest the Trigun manga too... ;D

Im not an avid manga or comic reader, so Ill shut up now...

well, heres a list of manga i have thats good

*Berserk
*samurai kyo depper
*akira
*Naruto
*Bleach
*Hellsing
*GITS
*BOTI (blade of the Immortal)
*Saiyuki
*Peace Maker
*Fruit Baskits
*get backers
*Eva
*GTO
*.Hack
*Scryed

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I know several of these have already been mentioned but I recommend (in no particular order):

-Berserk (anyone see this coming ;D?)
-Rurouni Kenshin
-Naruto
-Blade of the Immortal
-X/1999
-Real Bout High School
-GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka)
-Initial D

The mangas I consider good are:Berserk
Samurai deeper kyo
Sanctuary
Fushigi yuugi
Rurouni Kenshin
Ranma 1/2
Getbackers
great teacher Onizuka
Dragonball(believe it or not)
Inu-yasha
Magic knights Rayerth
Trigun
Neon genesis evangelion
Appleseed
dominion
ghost in the shell

BiQ_

" ... "
Whew. Talk about stupid prejudices...

First I bought 1st volume of Battle Angel Alita (1st edition) and after reading it brushed it off as being potentially just another run-of-the-mill fighting manga. This happened 4 years ago. I thought that it might be something better than that, but did not dare to start spending money on it. Nine months ago I downloaded all the 9 volumes with bittorrent and leave it laying around on my hard drive. Today I finally got around reading them all...

HOLY FRIGGIN' SHIT!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: It's straigth to my personal TOP 3 mangas of all time, alongside with Berserk and Nausicaa!!!

Tomorrow, my bank account gets punishment, as a visit to the local comic shop is unquestionably a matter of honor at this point.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Hehehe! Desty Nova showing Gally what's in the shoebox has got to be one of my favorite manga moments of all time. I love that series.

BiQ-- said:
Whew. Talk about stupid prejudices...

First I bought 1st volume of Battle Angel Alita (1st edition) and after reading it brushed it off as being potentially just another run-of-the-mill fighting manga. This happened 4 years ago. I thought that it might be something better than that, but did not dare to start spending money on it. Nine months ago I downloaded all the 9 volumes with bittorrent and leave it laying around on my hard drive. Today I finally got around reading them all...

HOLY FRIGGIN' SHIT!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: It's straigth to my personal TOP 3  mangas of all time, alongside with Berserk and Nausicaä!!!

Tomorrow, my bank account gets punishment, as a visit to the local comic shop is unquestionably a matter of honor at this point.

Don't forget to get the sequel Last Order it's up to Volume 4 released by Viz it's up to 5 volumes in Japan so the series isn't finished.

pippin22 said:
Is the hellsing manga worth getting?

Yes if you a) like vampires b) enjoy lots of blood and c) aren't looking for the deapth that Berserk or Evangelion offers.

My list: 1.  Berserk  2.  Evangelion  3.  Samurai Deeper Kyo  4. Hellsing

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
pippin22 said:
Is the hellsing manga worth getting? and is the battle royale manga as good as the novel?
Yes... yes it is. Goes into a lot more detail then the movie, thats for sure. THe last volume just came out as well over here

Top Bottom