Manga Recomendations

ZODDGUTSU said:
Don't forget to get the sequel Last Order it's up to Volume 4 released by Viz it's up to 5 volumes in Japan so the series isn't finished.

Good, the ending of 3 is far from satisfying.

Favourites for me I really like outside Berserk;

GantZ - probably my second favourite Manga of all time.
Vagabond
Akira as mentioned.
Battle Angel Alita

Many others I enjoyed but these are probably the elite Manga in my eyes.

nir085

Horse and Armor
pippin22 said:
and is the battle royale manga as good as the novel?
It's much better than the movie in my opinion, however, if you've started out with the movie then you may get a little bit sick of the dramatization (the flashbacks), in which case the novel would still be the best among the three. But, unlike the movie, the manga has plenty of similarities to the novel.

So, yeah: if you enjoyed the novel and would like to go into greater depth with illustrations, check out the manga, as it's still written by the same guy (Koushun Takami) who wrote the novel (and the sequel manga: Blitz Royale). I have the first 7 volumes and it's amazing.

I heard somewhere that Koushun Takami died while making the 2nd movie and his son finished it. must be a lie.

And I was wondering, is there a 2nd novel to go with the movie and manga? because I haven’t seen any.

nir085

Horse and Armor
pippin22 said:
I heard somewhere that Koushun Takami died while making the 2nd movie and his son finished it. must be a lie.
Takami's the author of the manga and the novel...so he's neither a screenwriter nor a director. The person you're thinking of is Kinji Fukasaku and yes, he did die sometime during the second movie's work and his son Kenta Fukasaku took over, explaining why the second movie was so disappointing (or so I've heard).

And I was wondering, is there a 2nd novel to go with the movie and manga? because I haven’t seen any.
There's a BRII novel...ization. But that's about it, unfortunately. And no, Takami himself has nothing to do with BRII. There's supposedly a sequel manga to BR called "Blitz Royale" that is supposed to be written by Takami, but I sure can't find it anywhere on the web.

Nippon-Export

they have BRII 1 and 2

and after I posted about the novel I found this, I think it's the 2nd novel but i'm not sure:

http://www.sasugabooks.com/product_info.php?products_id=24146

thanks for the help.

nir085

Horse and Armor
pippin22 said:
Nippon-Export

they have BRII 1 and 2
Oh, nice find with the Blitz Royale, thanks. I must say that I'm pretty surprised it's available there, but not at Sasuga Book/Amazon Japan/animaxis.com/etc.

Guess I was wrong about Koushun Takami writing it, though, so don't expect the writing to be that great. Then again, it's pretty hard to judge the writing considering how it's not likely to be translated in english and there are no translations on the net that I'm aware of. The art is really lame and goofy, based on some sample pages I've seen too.

and after I posted about the novel I found this, I think it's the 2nd novel but i'm not sure:

http://www.sasugabooks.com/product_info.php?products_id=24146
It's just the first. Also, take a look at the subject: "Subject: Contemporary Literature and Literary Criticism"; I don't know what that means, or "Vol. 2" for that matter, but just disregard it. The page count alone is off (my Viz novel measures up to the 600s). Enlarging the cover alone will show you that it's only Battle Royale . Either way, there is no other BR novel translated in english and it's pretty unlikely that a translation for a book. It's possible, however, that it is a supplementary/"tie-in" book, as I know there are a bunch of supplementary DVDs/books for both movies.

thanks for the help.
No problem.

Guess I was wrong about Koushun Takami writing it, though, so don't expect the writing to be that great.  Then again, it's pretty hard to judge the writing considering how it's not likely to be translated in english and there are no translations on the net that I'm aware of. The art is really lame and goofy, based on some sample pages I've seen too
yeah, I'm not even going to bother with it, that's why I was hoping there was a novel by Koushun Takami.

Wait a tic, it says here it IS "written by none other than Koushun Takami"  :D .....looks like I might be buying it after all ::)

http://www.battleroyalefilm.net/manga/

D

darkbane

BiQ-- said:
HOLY FRIGGIN' SHIT!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: It's straigth to my personal TOP 3 mangas of all time, alongside with Berserk and Nausicaa!!!

Maybe it's because it was one of the first mangas I've ever read, or maybe because of the unusual drawing style, or maybe because there didn't seem to be any kind of romance subplot ;D but I couldn't get into Nausicaa, not past the first volume. I still have all of it, but am not sure if I should try again. What do you consider its merits?

As for my favorites, (in case anyone is still looking through this thread for some recommendations), they are:

Berserk (duh)
Full Metal Panic
Death Note
Kamui
Kamikaze
Perfect Twin
Vampire Girl
Planetes
Tenjo Tenge
Black Cat

BiQ_

" ... "
darkbane said:
Maybe it's because it was one of the first mangas I've ever read, or maybe because of the unusual drawing style, or maybe because there didn't seem to be any kind of romance subplot ;D but I couldn't get into Nausicaa, not past the first volume. I still have all of it, but am not sure if I should try again. What do you consider its merits?

Well, I do admit Nausicaa is a bit hard to get into, maybe considerably because it's art is so packed, making it quite slow to read. Tastes differ, I guess. Other things that make me like it so much is the story, which requires to read the whole thing. Kinda. The lead character is little too much of a miss goody-goody at the beginning, but that problem gets solved during the story. At that point, the story actually starts to shine, when self-doubt and other things come into play. The pacifist/natureloving message of the whole thing is also beautiful, (which may seem funny considering my other two favourites are Gunnm and Berserk :p) and well. There is just that
"something", finely crafted good-evil story, and so on...

A little thing more about Gunnm: does anybody know if Viz is going to drop the "wrong" ending from the 2nd edition of original manga? ...guess I could try to calculate the page counts of each publication, but if someone has any info on this, I'd appreciate it. It's a bit harder to decide from looking at page counts, since the Viz 1st edition changed the volume breaks and 2nd follows the Japanese volumes. Even if the "quick ending" should not be considered part of the real storyline, I still kind of like it as an alternate storyline.

Top Bottom