The protection of Caska(or: She's fucked)

Begemot

STOP UNDRESSING ME WITH YOUR EYES!
Just trying to stir the pot a little.

As has been demonstrated in the manga chapters dealing with the troll caves, Farnese now draws strength from the reliance Caska has on her. This leads to the conclusion that she is much stronger than before, and I've seen some conclude that her psycho-Farnese days are behind her.

I would just like to call that conclusion into question, by comparing her new role with Guts's experiences in safeguarding Caska.

Now, I for one thought Guts seemed much stronger mentally once he was reunited with Caska, and he seemed able to control the Beast while she was around. But we all know how that turned out, when the constant strain of having to babysit her caused him to finally snap and attack her, and even attampt to rape her.

Now Farneese isn't shown to have an aspect like the Beast inside her, but she has had more than her fair share of really fucked up actions in the past, so it would not be surprising if she's just trying to supress her little miss sadist act, and possibly approaching an eventual breakdown.

One of the main factors in this theory is the obvious attraction and devotion to Guts (which reminds me a lot of how Caska was with Griffith). So for now, this leads her to dutifully protect Caska, but I would say that this is fostering feelings of jealousy in her, which might lead to an attempt to get rid of the opposition. Which would become more likely if she ever got wind of the Beast's intentions concerning Caska.

Now, there are several factors that would help prevent this. First off, unlike Guts, she's not bearing the burden all alone, since they're traveling in a group. ANd when times get really trying (such as when that apostle was about to attack in 229) she can rely on Guts to save them.

However, if Schierke hadn't snapped Guts out of Beast mode, he would have just left them to die while he fought on. And no one else is powerful enough to carve their way to their side if the situation is dire enough for Guts to entrust the Beast.

Thus if Guts chooses to entrust the Beast, Caska will likely die, since facing an apostle is certain death for Farneese, and one couldn't blame her for abandoning Caska, especially if Guts abandoned them.

So my conclusion is that Caska's safety hinges on Guts not succumbing to the Beast, not a situation I'd like to be in.

Franz

It's a dolphin.
When you mentioned attraction, I thought you simply meant a liking of/to Guts as, how you put it, devotion. But later on you carried on about jealousy and all of that...I don't know if I can agree with that necessarily. I think her view on Guts will be dutiful and/or out of admiration and wonder.

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
Woland said:
So my conclusion is that Caska's safety hinges on Guts not succumbing to the Beast, not a situation I'd like to be in.

After viewing the last chapter, I'm getting the feeling that the Beast may not be as much of a problem anymore, at least for the time being. Did you see Guts's face the last few panels? He looked calm, controlled, and totally self aware. Will this just be a temporary thing, and will he revert back to Beast mode any time he uses the armor? I'm wondering if this will be a new character direction for Guts. I'm really looking forward to seeing what will happen in the next few chapters.

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost
Interesting theory there about Guts' character development and the Beast. The Beast was present when his feelings for Caska raged out of control in particular.

LG

TheSkyTraveller said:
Did you see Guts's face the last few panels? He looked calm, controlled, and totally self aware.

Guts did look clam, however his expression may also indicate sign of relief that he was out from the beast manipulation... as for him being temporary in control of the beast i m not too sure :p

It is would great if he can succumb to the beast and yet able to unleash the power its has... that would be like killing 2 birds with one stone 8)

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost
Just thinking of course that poor Caska's been 'fucked' for a long time starting with that rape and the insanity after that. Maybe when she sees Charlotte or Griffith again she'll snap out of it and start kicking ass again.

LG

I think by seeing Griffith again, she could become even more crazy, 'cause I don't think Griffith is really associated to good memories for her !!!...

asmer said:
I think by seeing Griffith again, she could become even more crazy, 'cause I don't think Griffith is really associated to good memories for her !!!...

She did that back in vol22, and i didnt notice her being more crazy...

Miyu

I'm smiling on the inside.
Smith said:
She did that back in vol22, and i didnt notice her being more crazy...

Nope, she wasn't. In fact, back in Vol. 22 she seemed to associate the reborn Griffith with her Demon child since the Demon child was the vessel used in Griffith's rebirth.

Not quite sure how seeing Charlotte would help Caska regain her memory back.

Fishbomb

Fear the slightly white swordsman!
Well, it seems that the whole 'elf island' and Casca regaining her memory plotline has been put on hold.

Too bad really, but I think that the only one that truly can get her memories back is Griffith. Not because he is her 'child' but because of what she used to feel for him. Let's face it, the man was pretty much the center of her universe, and also the cause for her going nuts in the first place.

Of course this all hinges on Griffith wanting to reach out to Casca at all, and I doubt he would do that. He seems to be rather scared of showing any emotions at all (I refuse to think he hasn't got any), even if Miura hasn't been showing much of him lately...

But I agree. Casca has very little protection lately. Farneze I trust about as far as I can throw her, and Gatts... he's going waaaaaay down lately. By the way, I interpreted the look when he was release from the armour as one of pure relief.

Top Bottom