Griffith and Love???

Wandering Soul

I was born in the wilderness...
Can Griffith actually love another person? I've been debating myself whether he can or cannot love. Did he really have feelings for Charlotte? Or was it only because he felt she would only benefit his dream of gaining his own kindom? Like he said, a true friend of his would his equal; an equal who realizes, understands and pursues his/her own dream....

My POV of Griffith though, is that he would care for nothing but his dream. But then again, His actions with Charlotte could also mean love :-*.... *shrug* ???

What do you guys think?

I don't thnk Griffith ever loved Charlotte. I think the closest thing Griffith ever found to love was Guts. I think as a human Griffith could have had the capacity for love, but who knows now?

Charlotte had always been a tool for Griffith dreams... He had never love her... as for future, i dun that will ever need to happen again

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.
Well, when he became a godshand, his emotions were wiped clean. But after he saved caska on the hill of swords that showed that he had emotions now in his human form. And just like smith said, he only became close to charlotte because she was needed for his next step to having his own kingdom. But Miura is never predicable...

IgnusDei

mmh-hmm good.
I think that was the demon child's strong desire to protect it's mother that caused griffith to protect caska on the hill of swords. Being the ultimate pragmatist, he wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost
He certainly doesn't love Charlotte. She was his key to being King of Midland and there to receive his dick basically after he had lost Guts.

LG

H

Herald of Galactor

I feel I must ask "Did Ted Bundy love his long-time girlfriend?"

After all, both Bundy and the character of pre-Femto Griffith are sociopaths (i.e. they use people as tools to acomplish their own ends, without concern for the other person.) If Bundy did indeed love her, then it should be possible for a human Griffith to love. And even the reborn Griffith has some humanity kicking around in that baby's body. I think it's possible for him to love, but it's still highly improbable.

Miyu

I'm smiling on the inside.
Herald of Galactor said:
I feel I must ask "Did Ted Bundy love his long-time girlfriend?"

After all, both Bundy and the character of pre-Femto Griffith are sociopaths (i.e. they use people as tools to acomplish their own ends, without concern for the other person.) If Bundy did indeed love her, then it should be possible for a human Griffith to love. And even the reborn Griffith has some humanity kicking around in that baby's body. I think it's possible for him to love, but it's still highly improbable.

I always thought that Ted Bundy's girlfriend was just there as a facade so no one would suspect him of being a sociopath who murdered all these women. For the average person walking on the street, they would never suspect a nice looking guy with a good looking girl who have been dating for a long time to be capable of murdering numerous women.

Along those same lines, I don't think Griffith loved Charlotte (like everyone else has mentioned). She was his tool.

I mainly interpret Griffith's feelings for Guts as mutual respect rather than love, though it would be the closest to loving another person as he can get, in my opinion. If Griffith is in love with anything, it's his dream.

Femuth-Black Hawk

Guts...?..Love...?...Why?.....
What is that for a damned question?Of course griffith can love somebody.Don´t you saw vol.9 as he sleeped by charlotte.All time he thoght of guts.that isn´t a friendship between guts and griffith.it is more .....but i can´t describe it..... :-*

P.S.Sorry for my english ,i am a tunisian guy.But i am born in munich,Germany.

Well as stated above when Giff turned into a Gods Hand he had his emotions wiped clean. That is why when he was at the graveyard with all those swords he felt nothing for giff otherwise there is no way that he could not feel something...Guts was still trying to save giff at the end and it was only till all the monsters and stuff happen with caskca that he guts started hating giff...is it even hate...?not really sure because i just don't know.

Lauralana

That's Hot
bph said:
Obviously. Who doesn't picture Griffith as a raging fire of heterosexuality?

haha...ya...a manly man griff is not. ;D

Anyway, i think that he always loved Guts. Of course he never loved Guts more than he loved himself...but i think he loved Guts as much as any man can love another man with out crossing the line into sexual desire.And when he was having sex with Charlotte and was thinking of Guts...well i think that he kinda wished that the power he had over charlotte...was the same power that he had over Guts. Again not sexually...but the power to make someone do something that he/she would be hesitant or unwilling to do.

Guts was the only person that Grif did not have complete control over.

What I think is that Griffith excelled at reading other people's emotions, but sucked at interpreting and dealing with his own...

And like Guts, he fits the "why do I always realize what I have only after I've lost it" scenario (paraphrased.)

Griffith never loved Charlotte, just another meat bag to develop his own schemes with. Now that he is human once more, he's going to go after Charlotte again, this time, she is the supposed "Queen" of all Midland as we know, so he'll go to her, and win her over again. Marry her. Then get the fuck beat out of him by Guts, then Guts is crowned King when he kills Charlotte! :D

B

Beave

Seems to me, when Griffith had to sacrifice Guts, Caska, and the Band of the Hawk, that that was sort of proof that he loved them. If he didn't love/care deeply for them, then it wouldn't have been a sacrifice. That's why the count/big fat guy way back in vol. 2 and 3 was told he had to sacrifice his little girl-- because he actually loved her. It's the love that makes it a sacrifice. A sacrifice hurts you, what you give up has to be something important to you.

Now, how Griiffith loved Guts, Caska, and the bunch... that's another thing altogether. I don't mean to say it was the same kind of emotion for all of them. There are all kinds of love. In the end, the eclipse, and what it means to make a sacrifice (both to the recipient and the one making the sacrifice), ends up being just as important to understanding Griffith's character as it is to understanding Guts'.

And as for when they all met up on the field of swords-- I was never really convinced with Griffith's declaration that he didn't feel anything. One-- just because he says so doesn't make it true. He obviously doesn't want to feel anything, so he could be denying emotions deep down. Two-- whatever he thinks/doesn't think of Guts, he does save Caska from the flying boulders. Something is going on there. Love, mother love, protective love... something. And I think that that sort of thing is going to be/is important to getting a little peek into Griffith's emotions. His heart, or his humanity, I believe, is going to be the one real weak link in his armor, if there is going to be one. It's the only real way to get to him.

I often wonder whether Berserk is going to end up being a sort of redemptive play? Something where love ends up being the most powerful thing? Or where Guts/Caska ends up having to sort of save Griffith/ help him regain his humanity, his ability to love? As well as Guts coming back to his own self more fully. I'm not saying that I see them all ending up a cheery ol' bunch, but the idea of them giving Griffith his humanity back in some way.... that does still seem like a possibility to me. Deep down, the truth is that Guts, in some way, still loves Griffith, IMO, as the incredible hate he feels is driven by his sense of betrayal, a betrayal that came from being vulnerable to one he loved. Without the love still there, somewhere, deep deep down, the hate would have no power, no real drive burning it.

There is, I think, something similar going on there with Griffith and his motivations-- Guts hates Griffith so much because in some way it is easier and less painful to hate Griffith deeply than it is for Guts to allow to himself that he still cares for Griffith in some way. Similarly, it was easier for Griffith to sacrifice those he loved most than it was for him to be vulnerable to them. Basically, even though the sacrifice isn't an expression of Griffith's love, it is driven by his love and his desire to not be vulnerable to it-- much as Guts' hate of Griffith is fueled by his desire not to reconcile himself to the love/betrayal/vulnerability he felt towards Griffith.

Top Bottom