Shaolin Soccer!

Fishbomb

Fear the slightly white swordsman!
*grins*

Saw Shaolin Soccer and God of Cookery last night...

*laughs*

Damn but they were good!! If you can, see them!

Chinmi

The best defense is a good offence!
Shaolin Soccer kick ass!! ;D

Word on the street is that Hollywood is going to release in the US in 2002.

pav

"Are you lookin at me?"
Ah nice to see people who watch other HK movies than the mainstream action ones. I think Chow Sing Chi (Stephen Chow) is really an underated actor when most people think of HK movies they go for Jet Li (great martial arts actor) or Jackie Chan (need I say more). People you really must watch his films especially his earlier ones. They are some of the best comedy films ever which are done a comedic genius.

Some HK films which I think you should watch
>Saint of Gamblers
>God of Gamblers 1-3
>Chinese odysee (i hope thats spelt right) 1-2
>Young and Dangerous 1-5
>King of Beggars
>Love of Delivery
>Fight Back to school
>Lawyer Lawyer
> A man called Hero
>Legend of Zu

Whewww damn I cant remember anymore with their proper names,just ask around should keep you busy.

Kenoh-Sama

"What is love? Not that I want some or anythi
*grins*

Saw Shaolin Soccer and God of Cookery last night...

*laughs*

Damn but they were good!! If you can, see them!

Shaolin Soccer is awesome!! His movies rule!! Check out "007 Made in China".

Fishbomb

Shaolin Soccer is awesome!! His movies rule!! Check out "007 Made in China".

Hmmm could that be 'Forbidden City Cop' with another title? Sure sounds like the same theme *grins* Yeah, he's a bloody brilliant director!

*smiles* Yeah, I'm so tired of people just thinking HK is old Jackie Chan low budget kung fu movies... *groans*

Kenoh-sama: *ponders* Legend of Zu.. is that Zu: Warriors of the magic mountain? if so... it's hilarious!

Speaking of underrated HK kung fu style flicks... KUNG FU COLT HERO!!! That is just.... brilliant!

But the all time hero oh HK is... Anthony Wong!

Beast Cops must be the best HK movie I have EVER seen!

Kenoh-Sama

Hmmm could that be 'Forbidden City Cop' with another title? Sure sounds like the same theme *grins* Yeah, he's a bloody brilliant director!

*smiles* Yeah, I'm so tired of people just thinking HK is old Jackie Chan low budget kung fu movies... *groans*

Kenoh-sama: *ponders* Legend of Zu.. is that Zu: Warriors of the magic mountain? if so... it's hilarious!

Speaking of underrated HK kung fu style flicks... KUNG FU COLT HERO!!! That is just.... brilliant!

But the all time hero oh HK is... Anthony Wong!

Beast Cops must be the best HK movie I have EVER seen!

I think it's also under the name "From Bejing with Love". Stephen Chow rules!

Future Cops is cool to! A HK Street Fighter Parody! ;D

pav

"Are you lookin at me?"
Legend of Zu is the newest one by Tsui Hark with very good CG in it Zu: the mountain warriors is the older work of Tsui Hark. Its like two steps further in CG than Storm riders (another one to see).
Another one of Stephen Chow is the parody of the $60 million man more like $6 million.

White_Hawk

The Only True Free Spirit / Dark Horse Rider
Bwaaaaa! HK kung fu movies r00000l33333!!!
I remember watching them when I was I kid. After the war nobody imported them no more, so today the max we got from HK was "Black Mask" with Jet Li, or some really funky stuff from rtl2. But AHAHAHAAA!!!! I really enjoyed watching something called "Clash Of The Titans" :eek: Ohohohohohohoh....some guy without an arm, a pointless tournament, I dunno... ;D
OH yeah, it's not HK, but anyone watched something called "lone Wolf and Cub"? That's by far the closest stuff to Berserk in terms of live action. I really would like to know where to get that stuff...

Fishbomb

*grins*

Lone Wolf and Cub!! Damn, that's good! Ooookay, first of all the Manga is once again released in the US (was OOP for a long time)), and I definetly would tell you to get that. It is VERY good, ranking up there with Berserk. There are some... 15??? volumes or something out, I'm really not sure how many since I'm not at home and can look... there are a LOT! Should be easy to get hold of through any place that sells american comics, hell, even my local store has them.

About the movie/s. The movie 'Lone Wold and Cub' is really an 'american' production. There are originally six Japanese movies:

Sword of Vengance
Baby Cart at the River Styx
Baby Cart to Hades
Baby Cart in Peril
Baby Cart in the Land of Demons
White Heaven in Hell

What the americans did back in the eighties was that they thought the US audience would not understand it, so they cut together the first and the second movie into one production and called it 'Lone Wolf and Cub', which was the title of the US manga. They also added an american 'voice-over' of Daigaro (the 'cub') narrating the history, explainging things to the audience, adding background that was cut. Suprisingly enough the end result was not that bad. If you can't get anything else, see it!

But... the original japanese films rock!!! Or rather, the first three does. In my opinion the second one is the best, and hell, that was THE movie that got me into Japanese cinema. It is very faithful to the manga. I got the first three on LD ages ago... and I've almost worn them out. (I think you can get them on NTSC tape as well) Toshiro Mifune is just perfect... as are the movies. Incredibly violent, beautiful, thoghtful, filled with breathtaking shots and a sense of inevitability that is just... well, Berserk. *grins*

The second three movies I can't vouch for. They had a bad reputation back then, and since I was a poor little student I didn't buy them. However... Animeigo (I think) is planning to release them on DVD, sometime in the spring 2002! Yey! So... I'm probably going to go for all six this time... if nothing else just to get the end duel between Ogami and Yaguy.

Kenoh-Sama: *grins* I definetly needs to see more Stephen Chow. I used to stay away from HK comedies until I saw his 'Forbidden City Cop' and laughed my ass off. So... I'm definetly going to get the other ones! *ponders* Ah, I haven't seen the new Zu, but Tsui Hark seldom disappoints. And Storm Riders was cool! Not the best, but a damn nice movie!

Another director to check for is: Ching Siu-Tung

He's most well known for his 'A Chinese Ghost Story' films, but some other good ones are:

Swordsman 1-3
Heroic Trio
Exdecutioners
A Chinese Ghost Story 1-3
Duel to the Death

He often pops up as 'action director', or shares the direction with someone else... but damn, he does a good job!

Sofus

I serve the God Hand
while in terms of HK movies, I cannot believe that noone's mentioning Chow Yun Fat and his roles in Hardboiled and The Killer! These, as well as God of gamblers(non-action mostly) and the A better tomorrow suite are by far the mightiest action movies I have EVER seen, especially Hardboiled (aka God of Guns). Easily John Woo's best movie, uncomparable to the crap he's produced after getting into Hollywood. Highly recommended! :)

Fishbomb

*grins* Probably because we figured everyone had already seen them...  ;)

I'm not that fond of John Woo actually, good director, good looking movies, but not that interesting scripts. Killer is nice, but Hardboiled... nah, entertainment but nothing more. I think his best movie is 'A Bullet in the Head'. By far the most intense, if not flashiest of the lot... But also the least well known unfortunately.

But you're right... after going to hollywood he's just... shitty. I don't really think HK directors work in that climate, it just gets pathetic. Just like with Ringo Lam. He's made very good HK movies, and then... just basic hollywood bullshit.

But Ang Lee's (of crouching tiger, hidden dragon fame) ' the Ice Storm' is still brilliant... of course he's not really HK but...

Speaking of Ang Lee. Did you guys know he's going to direct 'the Hulk'?? Yeah, really!! And Jennifer Conelly's in it too... ah, that actually looks promising.

Kenoh-Sama

while in terms of HK movies, I cannot believe that noone's mentioning Chow Yun Fat and his roles in Hardboiled and The Killer! These, as well as God of gamblers(non-action mostly) and the A better tomorrow suite are by far the mightiest action movies I have EVER seen, especially Hardboiled (aka God of Guns). Easily John Woo's best movie, uncomparable to the crap he's produced after getting into Hollywood. Highly recommended! :)

When this thread started I assumed it was only comedic HK flicks we were all talking about! But Hell yeah your right NO HK movie list can be complete with out "THE MAN" Chow Yun Fat!!! His " A Better Tomorrow" and "Full Contact" are some great works of cinema!!! I remember when he died :'(in "The Corruptor" (US Movie) I think every asian guy in the theater walked out!! Now THAT'S respect!!! :)

Chinmi

I am a big HK movie freak fan.!!!

The best HK movie in weaponless fighting is Fist of Legend with Jet Li.  This is IN-YOUR-FACE,  MAJOR ASS KICKING movie!!!!!!  Everytime I watch this movie, I get so hype up that I feel like I want to go out and kick some ass!!!!   :eek:  I also like Born to Defense because unlike other Jet Li movies, he plays a chracter with sensitivity rather than being a macho bad motherF$%^&er.

This is the yardstick of which I compare any movie with hardcore fighting.  Drunken Master II is up there in my list for best fighting.  No Hollywood movie I ever seen can make fighting this intense...yet.  

I also like John Woo movies because he makes action look dam good (althrough, I not so fond of his hollywood movies). I also like his movie because it have friendship, loyality and Chivery, much like Berserk.  I recommend u to watch THE PURPLE STORM and A HERO NEVER DIES. One of the best HK movie in recent memory.  A Hero never dies deals with betray and revenege while the purple storm deals with loyality and being true to yourself.

Have anyone seen FULL TIME KILLER by Jonnie To. Is it any good?

Yeah, I agree.  Chow Yun Fat is so cool!!!!!

Another guy I like is Donnie Yen.  He is the most underated guy.  I never thought a human can move like he can.  His kick have perfect form!!  A good movie that people should watch is LEGEND OF THE WOLF.

My dream movie is if they get Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Donnie Yen, Chow Yun Fat,  Yuen Biao, Sammo Hung, Wesley Snipes, Arnold and Sly and make a movie much like the Seven Samuria.  Instead of having Samuira, these guys would be mercenary, band together for a worthy cause.  There would alot of teamwork involve rather having one guy always saving the day.  It should take place in the future in a post apcoysw world with cyborgs and gladiators.  This movie would never happen due cost for actors and egos problem between actors but u never know.

These days, HK movies aren't that good as it use to.

Ok, I'll shut up now.
:-X

Fishbomb

Have anyone seen FULL TIME KILLER by Jonnie To.  Is it any good?

I got it in my last shipment of asian movies, but I haven't had the time to watch it yet *grins* I'll tell you as soon as I see it though... *ponders* On second thought... it might be the one where the pressing was faulty (all dvd's were pulled back) and I had to reorder... damn, can't remember right now!! Will see when I get home.

Modified: Yeah, that was the one where they had to pull back the faulty discs. But it's okay now, and I'm gonna order it next time around. Damn, I really wanted to see that one!

I'm not really a kung fu fan (though I don't mind it) and sure prefer bloodshed movies with a much darker tint than heroic bloodshed. Things like Big Heat, A Bullet in the Head, The Mission, Cheap Killers and so on... Ïncluding the best HK movie I've seen in later years, Beast Cops! Bloody brilliant!They mostly linger in the Cat. IIb or Cat III field. Dark, depressing and violent... so for me HK movies right now (if 'now' is -95 and up...) is much better than they have ever been before, far more creative and original than anything hollywood has produced lately.

*ponders* My favorite HK actors must be... Anthony Wong (my heor). Simon Yam, Brigette Lin, Anita Mui... and too many others to mention.

I picked up Shaolin Soccer in China Town SF a few months back on a whim....I have watched it about 5 times now and still enjoy it. Man Called Hero I kinda thought was boring. The Storm Riders guy in it kicks ass though.

Chinmi

I just watch a hk movie called Blade aka DAO
(no, not the one with Wesley Snipes but with Zhao WEn Zhuo).

Its a peroid piece movie with bandits and swordsman. It look like a post apoclyse future but anyhow, the main character also get his right hand chop off and he also seek revenge for the death of his father.

I highly recommend this movie if anyone like Berserk.

Did anyone seen this movie?

Top Bottom