Dark Horse Berserk Vol.2

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
Just got it yesterday and my review =)

There were no crazy ass typos this time. Overall it was pretty good.

BUT!!

Someone needs to fire the graphic designer. Really. The cover looks like shit. The printing is horrible, just like the first cover. I don't know what source material they're using to print from, but compared to the original cover, the Dark Horse cover is blurry, washed out, and looks like ass.
The interior of the book is printed darker than the Japanese version. That's fine, except for when you have the black and white printing of Miura's watercolors. Some of that is so dark, you can't tell what's going on in some of the panels. And Vargas has a bizarre blemish on one of the pages. I know, Vargas has a hell of a lot more than just blemishes, but I'm talking a blemish that looks like a printed hole in the page! Bizarre. Finally, I really hate the fonts. They use too many different ones, and sometimes it really sucks.

The slug count called Zondark his "daemon." Wouldn't he be apostle spawn? I can't complain too much about translation because I dont know enough Japanese, but those of you translating on here can tell me why they chose daemon, maybe? It sounds silly.

My complaints are mostly of an artistic nature. Maybe I'm too picky. It's not so bad that I won't buy the books, but maybe I will write a letter. That they'll probably throw in the trash. Oh well.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
wow...! I'd completely lost track of time!

I don't think the term Apostle Spawn comes from miura. I think its just something we fans made up to refer to any humans that an Apostle corupts and turns into a monster.

Daemon: "a person who is part mortal and part god."

Sounds about right to me. I just finished reading my issue, the box it was in didn't get shipped to the comic shop Wed. I don't really have any complaints as I'm just happy to have it un-cut and generally well translated.

Not in two comic shops nor B&N or Borders near me, though at least Borders has em on order. amazon has a 20% discount but doesn't list as in stock, where the link off dark horse is in stock but no discount.

ok, by uncut do you mean uncensored or that the sides of the panels aren't cut off like they were in the first volume?

TheBlackSwordsman

I can't fight this dark demon within me any longer
Yeah i was gonna go get it tomorrow but sadly the weather is bad here and i'm snowed in and unable to get to my local comic shop.. how gay.. A question though for those you have it now. Does the cover look just like the japanese cover only with the metallica berserk logo that was on volume 1? I was wondering because every time i go to the dark horse site now for some reason the cover will not load on my PC. Nor will the cover for volume 3. I was wondering what they looked like.

TheSkyTraveller

Vampiric_Swordsman said:
A question though for those you have it now. Does the cover look just like the japanese cover only with the metallica berserk logo that was on volume 1? I was wondering because every time i go to the dark horse site now for some reason the cover will not load on my PC. Nor will the cover for volume 3. I was wondering what they looked like.

Yes, the covers look pretty much the same, aside from the different logos. The only difference is DH shrunk down the image of Guts a little.

TheSkyTraveller said:
Just got it yesterday and my review =)

There were no crazy ass typos this time. Overall it was pretty good.

BUT!!

Someone needs to fire the graphic designer. Really. The cover looks like shit. The printing is horrible, just like the first cover. I don't know what source material they're using to print from, but compared to the original cover, the Dark Horse cover is blurry, washed out, and looks like ass.
The interior of the book is printed darker than the Japanese version. That's fine, except for when you have the black and white printing of Miura's watercolors. Some of that is so dark, you can't tell what's going on in some of the panels. And Vargas has a bizarre blemish on one of the pages. I know, Vargas has a hell of a lot more than just blemishes, but I'm talking a blemish that looks like a printed hole in the page! Bizarre. Finally, I really hate the fonts. They use too many different ones, and sometimes it really sucks.

The slug count called Zondark his "daemon." Wouldn't he be apostle spawn? I can't complain too much about translation because I dont know enough Japanese, but those of you translating on here can tell me why they chose daemon, maybe? It sounds silly.

My complaints are mostly of an artistic nature. Maybe I'm too picky. It's not so bad that I won't buy the books, but maybe I will write a letter. That they'll probably throw in the trash. Oh well.
Too picky? No, you just like quality in what you buy. I despise the fonts, ESPECIALLY when they have the Apostle's or anything non-human speak. I was hoping for a badass english replica of the font they use in japanese.
i dunno, for it to take 3 months or more to do these things, youd think theyd at least try to make it look better.

Nosferatuu

I'm a llama!
the only thing i didnt like about this volume was "old fella" sounded kind of weird to me :p
presumably Puck called Vargas oji-san so i guess thats where they got it from

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Oh wow, they still make these? Yeah, I bought the first one... let's just say I don't think I'll be getting another. My Japanese editions are fine by me.

-Griffith

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
I didn't think they're that bad. Sure, some of the printing is a little crappy, but I'm willing to support the translated manga for now, it beats scanslations. This, however, won't stop me from buying the Japanese versions first ;)

My order at rightstuf.com has been backordered seems I gotta wait another week. :'(

off topic:Either I'm really high right now but did my avatar get smaller?It's magic I say. :eek:

Griffith

Uriel said:
I didn't think they're that bad. Sure, some of the printing is a little crappy, but I'm willing to support the translated manga for now, it beats scanslations. This, however, won't stop me from buying the Japanese versions first ;)

Honestly, I didn't even get 10 pages in before giving up on English Berserk (the cover quality was a hint). The whole presentation and translation turned me off right away. It was like tHeHaWkS got published and now I can't even edit it in MSpaint. =)

Actually, for all my badmouthing, I like the Hawks translation of this volume better. And they work for free and faster, so I guess I should apoligize for comparing their work to Dark Horse.

It really makes me wonder what could have been if say Viz or another company had gotten the rights.

-Griffith

Franz

It's a dolphin.
Zanza said:
Nope, you're just the board's Cheech Marin.
He graduated from my university! :D But if it looks smaller that's probably because it SHOULD be smaller. 0:)

I have nothing against the US releases of the manga. I just want a hard copy of the manga, instead of the scans on my computer. I'm eager to buy the 2nd volume.

TheSkyTraveller

Griffith said:
Honestly, I didn't even get 10 pages in before giving up on English Berserk (the cover quality was a hint). The whole presentation and translation turned me off right away. It was like tHeHaWkS got published and now I can't even edit it in MSpaint. =)

Actually, for all my badmouthing, I like the Hawks translation of this volume better. And they work for free and faster, so I guess I should apoligize for comparing their work to Dark Horse.

It really makes me wonder what could have been if say Viz or another company had gotten the rights.

-Griffith

I really agree with you on the quality. The sub-par quality of the US version really irks me, when you compare it to a good Dark Horse release, like Blade of the Immortal. In the cases of both manga, I still buy the Japanese releases and always will. The quality is almost always superior. If the 3rd Berserk volume still has that shit-ass printing though, my US Berserk buying days will be over. I mean, all I do when it comes out is complain anyway. :-X

Mizar

Œ©‰Ž•·‚©‰ŽŒ¾‚퉎
TheSkyTraveller said:
If the 3rd Berserk volume still has that shit-ass printing though, my US Berserk buying days will be over. I mean, all I do when it comes out is complain anyway. :-X

Have you tried sending those guys an e-mail? I am positive they will listen if you write them a decent e-mail with constructive criticism. Hmmm.... maybe I'll send one as well. Come on, instead of complaining the whole time we'd better try and do something about it instead!

TheSkyTraveller

Actually, I've been planning on sending a typewritten letter. I think companies actually pay attention to those more because they take more effort than e-mail. I know I've been complaining a lot; it's what I do. :) It is a good idea, and if others think there's problems with the release and send letters as well, they might consider making some changes. It's tough to tell though; some companies really care about the consumer's opinions, and others don't give a shit.

I mean, look at Proctor and Gamble. Ugh.

Griffith

Franz said:
Simple. We'd still be awaiting volume 1. -_-

Oh yeah, well I'm STILL awaiting a decent English edition of volume 1. ;)

When I look at how nice those Viz Vagabond releases look, and the awe for Inoue, it just makes me think more and more about how Miura got the shaft. Let's face it, Berserk just gets no respect in the U.S. That's probably the best way to describe Dark Horse's release; disrespectful. Then they charge $13 bucks for this shit. Hentai counterfitters from Hong Kong have higher standards of quality (and more shame).

I'd try writing Dark Horse a letter, but I wouldn't be able to help but make fun of their "efforts." I also don't think they care. My worst fear is that the assclown that did that interview a while back would answer my letter with something like, "Berserk is total renegade releases! For badasses like Gusts the Dark Knightman! It's underground and hard, man, just like you, the Berzerk fan! Quality is your mom, dude!"

-Griffith

Mizar

Œ©‰Ž•·‚©‰ŽŒ¾‚퉎
Griffith said:
When I look at how nice those Viz Vagabond releases look, and the awe for Inoue, it just makes me think more and more about how Miura got the shaft. Let's face it, Berserk just gets no respect in the U.S. That's probably the best way to describe Dark Horse's release; disrespectful. Then they charge $13 bucks for this shit. Hentai counterfitters from Hong Kong have higher standards of quality (and more shame).

I'd try writing Dark Horse a letter, but I wouldn't be able to help but make fun of their "efforts." I also don't think they care. My worst fear is that the assclown that did that interview a while back would answer my letter with something like, "Berserk is total renegade releases! For badasses like Gusts the Dark Knightman! It's underground and hard, man, just like you, the Berzerk fan! Quality is your mom, dude!"

"Rats are said to be imaginative, charming and very generous to those they love - although they do have a tendency to be quick-tempered and over-critical. They are supposed to make good writers, critics and publicists."

Sorry, couldn't help myself, just had to post this here. :p

Griffith

You callin' me a pube-lie-cist!? Thems fightin' words! ;D

I wish a publicist was the same as publishing editor, because then I could say, "Oh yeah? Well, Dark Horse could sure use one of those! Hahaha!" So, I cheated just now and said it anyway! Ha! Nothing will stop me from spewing my comic venom at Dead Horse comics!

Ha Ha! Dead Horse! Ha!!

-Griffith

P.S. Truly, I am a publicist at heart. =)

If you want a response from Darkhorse than I recomend on going to animeondvd.com boards and start a thread criticism how a poor job Darkhorse has done on the manga discussion boards. A lot of anime and manga companies "hang" there on the boards on that website and respond to issues that their products may have.

Top Bottom