The meaning of Rakshas' name

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost
I thought I would throw this out here...after watching the movie ASOKA, about a Hindu warrior prince who becomes a monk, the word RAKSHAS is the Hindi word for DEVIL.

So now we know the meaning of that character's name.

O

Ozmo

We discussed this before, more precisely it was some tiger-headed mythical creature that fought against some hero dude (probably this Asoka you mentioned) and lived in Ceylon (Sri Lanka?).

... actually I think there were many of them and they were lead by some really über-demon dude who's name I can't remember. Anybody with a less defective memory who took part in the mentioned discussion?

SexyCharlotte

This Hindu movie also showed some of the knives and that ribbon sword thing that Silatt used in older manga. Quite an interesting movie, this ASOKA...the word Rakshas also referred to 'demon' as well as 'devil.'

Nosferatuu

I'm a llama!
yea the hero was Ram(or Rama) and he kicked the Rakshas' ass. the Rakshas were sent by Ravana to kill Rama.
now we burn a giant statue of Ravan in Bombay every year XD
obviously because of its mythology the word rakshas has become synonymous(sp?) with devil, demon, evil person, bad guy.
interestingly enough the word Raksha, also means service or worship.

SexyCharlotte

Silatt made an appearance too ( sort of)

No this movie Asoka had to do with this emperor named ASOKA. Rakshas actually was the word that LOL his grandfather used to describe this sword that supposedly had magical properties and would make any man an emperor or king, but that it came at a terrible price * sound familiar? Like Griffith's dream of the kingdom and how he had to 'walk on the bodies of his fallen men' to get there...spilling an ocean of blood*.

His grandfather said that the sword was a demon, a devil, a RAKSHAS. Then he threw the sword in this river but the little boy Asoka went and got it anyways ( hey who could blame him).

There were many similiarities though to SILATT as well..the ribbon circular knives, even his throwing knives. I went and got my Silatt statue LOL and noticed even some of the Hindu soldiers wore similiar outfits but the knives he carries were the exact same as the ones used in battle in that movie.

Top Bottom