hand anatomy

Kart

Resident /b/tard
hand anatomy done with reference, probably my best piece, the knuckles are too close and wrist bones too small.

hand.jpg

any other problems then those, who solutions to help me improve are welcome :)

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity
It looks pretty good, hard to tell exactly from the pic but it seems fairly accurate. I never tried to draw any bone structure, I probably should though cuz i suck at hands and it might help.

Kart

Resident /b/tard
problems, Knuckles are too close, some of the wrist bones are too small, and the thumb is too long, woo critique myself!

but thats pretty much all the issues.

Franz

It's a dolphin.
hand.jpg

That's the only bit of handywork (GET IT!!! dumb.) I have on my HD. I have better ones, however that's the only one I kept for some reason. All my fine art is 155 miles north of here, heh.

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?
Franz said:
http://xia.zenosaga.com/art/hand.jpg

That's the only bit of handywork (GET IT!!! dumb.) I have on my HD. I have better ones, however that's the only one I kept for some reason. All my fine art is 155 miles north of here, heh.

:eek: :eek: Wow! I'm kind of jealous, as with many, hands are not always my strong point. ^^;

As for the actual topic of the thread, hmm. The thumb seems too long, the first fingerbones (proximal phalanges I think is the pretty name; the ones right above the wrist) are slightly out of shape, which kind of makes the way the joints fit together look a little odd. And to the contrary, the wrist bones look fine, they look about the right size to me. You've done nice work though, I'm horrible at drawing bones.

And if you want close ups of individual bones, this site is helpful:

http://www.eskeletons.org/viewer/humanSelect.html

**Is so glad she doesn't have to memorize the bones of the hand again. Good riddance anatomy class tests! ;D**

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
I agree with Kimchan; the fitting of the joints does look a bit inaccurate, but otherwise, it's good to see someone that cares about anatomy!

Kart, I would suggest doing like Franz and drawing your own hand from life in different positions and perspectives for more practice. That helped me a lot. A combination of understanding proportion and anatomy (especially muscular), and drawing from life is probably the best way to learn the human figure. Drawing nudes all the time at art school helped me especially.

If anyone is looking for a really good anatomy book for artists, there's one called Visualizing Muscles, by John Cody, M.D. It has a couple hundred photos of a male model with muscles drawn right on him. There are tons of different poses, so that you can see how movement affects the appearance of each muscle.

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost
Now that is the one area I wish I could have some expertise in. I took fashion design but you don't really need to study the human anatomy or body the same way you do for sculpture and portraits. I would love to know how to draw people, not just animation, but REAL portraits.

Sighhhhhhh

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?
Lady Sexy Charlotte said:
Now that is the one area I wish I could have some expertise in. I took fashion design but you don't really need to study the human anatomy or body the same way you do for sculpture and portraits. I would love to know how to draw people, not just animation, but REAL portraits.

Sighhhhhhh

Heh, it helped, if nothing else, now I know all sorts of names that make me sound smart. ;) Unfortunately, I don't remember actually *doing* much in that class, our teacher was an older woman who just sat at the front of the class and "taught" (ie chatted with us about hers and our various illnesses. She liked you if you had something serious). The textbook was also helpful. But we had this marathon of tests about various parts of the skeleton. I thought it was ridiculous how many names some of these bones had. ^^;

Another thing that's helped me with anatomy is to just pay attention to yourself and the people around you. I think this comes from many hours spent in school staring at my hands due to boredom. ^_^

chugoku sensei

Too good!
I believe Albrecht Duhrer had some really nice hand drawings. Yeah, practicing on myself helped me, but it was also really useful just to check out some American comics. Jim Lee's stuff is really good for hands.

TheSkyTraveller

Agree, looking at other artists helps too. I've always liked the way Hiroaki Samura does hands. It looks like he can draw them effortlessly, and they always look natural and well drawn.

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost
chugoku sensei said:
I believe Albrecht Duhrer had some really nice hand drawings. Yeah, practicing on myself helped me, but it was also really useful just to check out some American comics. Jim Lee's stuff is really good for hands.

Wow I'm impressed you know about Durer :) My favorite painting he did was a study of a rabbit...the texture he created of the fur was incredible. Looked so real.

Serpico

Ok, here is some stuff I did with hands. The good thing about drawing them is that even though they are hard you always have your own to use as a model. I did about 4 pages of nothing but hands, I still am not very good at them but after doing that I am alot better than I used to be.

here is some i did to practice, most of them are of my own hand. A couple are Slayers-ish, because I like Lina's gloved hands.
hands.jpg

here is some fanart i did where experimenting with perspective and hands.
lee-crush.jpg

sak-leaf.jpg

Serpico

Kart said:
with all my heart, I must say, please, die you naruto fan.

the hands are cool though.

hehe thanks... sort of. Naruto is pretty good though. Probably about my #5 anime. I like Sakura, Gaara, Temari, Neji, Lee, and Ino. I have some crossover fanart of them as Berserk characters also hehe. Hinata as Silk etc etc.

Kart

Resident /b/tard
What do you mean naruto is good? naruto is crap, the story is horrible, the characters are pretty bad and the fighting is weak, its pretty much a new move every couple episodes, soon it will be which move is the best and then it'll be whos chakra is the higest and evantually it'll be a battle of the chakra AKA ki. The main character really cannot be opposed in any way, and because this is a childrens show it's impossible that it will end sadly, the story is pretty much played out and a fight takes six episodes because every character except naruto knows what the move is so it must be explained.

Serpico

Well I dont really like it enough to argue for it. Rock Lee vs Gaara was really great though.

I do like to draw fanart from it though because I dont mind posting it on the net, unlike my important fanarts of Farnese that I don't like sharing. Farnese is not that popular, so no one besides on a Berserk boards usually ever knows who she is anyway.

chugoku sensei

Too good!
I like Naruto enough to argue for it! It's pretty badass, probably my number two manga. I've only read the manga, so I don't know about the anime. But it's fun and entertaining. I don't think you can argue me into not liking it, because it's just a preference I have for the style and the entertainment.
Yeah Charlotte, Durer is completely awesome. I feel like the modern comic, including anime and manga, all owe their births to him. My favorite works of his are the series of illustrations he did for the bible, and his praying drawings.

TheSkyTraveller

Back to the task at hand huh huh...

Serpico, the four hands on the left side of the hand page you posted are the best. The relaxed hand is well drawn and looks very natural, and great job on the one with extreme foreshortening. Some of the other hands look a little strange. Some have some structural problems, or fingers that are too short.

The second drawing: Awesome forced perspective with that hand!

Third drawing: More good forced perspective. I like this one a lot! Good movement and pose. The only problem I see is that her left hand holding the sword looks a little strange, like the sword is stuck inside of it, instead of her holding it. It might help if you moved the guard up a little bit to show more of her thumb and fingers grasping the handle.

Are my critiques too long? :-[ If I get on anyone's nerves, please tell me!

I don't think I've ever posted any of my artwork, unless you count the wallpapers. I don't really count them since the images used were not my own.

This is the only picture I have uploaded that has a nice shot of a hand, but it is very dark.

After I finished it, I felt the arm was placed awkwardly. :(

As in most my drawings, my hands are placed either off the paper or hidden from view.

carthrevankiss.jpg

Kart

Resident /b/tard
also, on my site I have an art forum, which is pretty much unused although I host a file called open canvas, if any of you have digital tablets go pick it up off my site (it's in my profile, i'm not plugging) and host some sessions, it's great to learn from and have a good time.

Top Bottom