Gaiseric's Origins

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost
Here's a long shot at speculation, considering that there's so little information about him. Anyone have any ideas/clues as to where Gaiseric may have originated and how he became the leader of a great empire? It was said that 'no one knew where he came from' ...he just seemed to appear and began consolidating his power, thus forming the empire.

I wonder if it's safe to say that there might be some uncanny resemblance to his mighty power and Guts' prowess on the battlefield.

Any thoughts here on this?

Lady Sexy Charlotte said:
It was said that 'no one knew where he came from' ...he just seemed to appear and began consolidating his power, thus forming the empire.

Wasnt Griffith the same case?

SexyCharlotte

Smith said:
Wasnt Griffith the same case?

We know a little more about Griffith's childhood though...he came from some village, his dream was that he wanted his own kingdom, and he set about doing so by putting together the Band of the Hawks, gathering people like Casca, Pippin, Corkus...most of the members of Taka no Dan had varying backgrounds, from bandit to victim to travelling performer...we don't know anything about how Gaiseric came to power at all. Maybe I shouldn't even be speculating about Gaiseric considering the very limited info we have on him.

But I was curious as to what others thought...did he too, rise to power from obscurity/poverty, and had the same dream Griffith did, only to somehow have it be destroyed by the sacrifice of his capital by the 4/5 angels?

Demented Swordsman

so I pranked him.. to death with a tire iron!
Well, when charlotte mentions how his origins were mysterious, Guts himself mentions that it sounds just like Griffith. So, it makes you wonder if SK is more like Guts, or Griffith.

I think Gaiseric's origins are meant to be mysterious. It's SK's origins that intrigue me. Even if he was Gaiseric, I don't think he's anything like he was as the king. A lot can happen in 1000 years.

SexyCharlotte

Olivier Hague said:
Sure. But you said: "We know a little more about Griffith's childhood though...he came from some village [...]"...

I made that distinction when I saw the manga and the anime, and he was playing in the alleyway. Of course that looked more like a town than a village, because of the way the street was paved.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I made that distinction when I saw the manga and the anime, and he was playing in the alleyway. Of course that looked more like a town than a village, because of the way the street was paved.
But the scenery in that scene, as well as the castle are probably supposed to be taken figuratively, not literally. That's just always been my interpretation of it, its by no means law.

SexyCharlotte

Walter said:
But the scenery in that scene, as well as the castle are probably supposed to be taken figuratively, not literally. That's just always been my interpretation of it, its by no means law.

I hadn't thought about it, but you're right. The scenes I'm thinking about were part of his dream sequence.

IgnusDei

mmh-hmm good.
well, considering one can either of live in an urban or rural area, stating that one once lived in a town isn't exactly a shot in the dark here. And if griffith ever had to be taken with the longing and desire of being a king, then he must have had a brush with royalty. This implies that he lived in a capital...although it could just has well have been Windham or "Chudaville".

krunkster

mankowodaisuki
I think it's safe to say we know nothing of Gaserics true origins.

I think he possibly knew Flora back then.
Otherwise Charollete's story is all we got.

SexyCharlotte

krunkster said:
I think it's safe to say we know nothing of Gaserics true origins.

I think he possibly knew Flora back then.
Otherwise Charollete's story is all we got.

I wonder if Flora somehow is tied into the fall of Gaiseric's capital somehow, or if she knew him before he became an emperor.

I wonder if Flora somehow is tied into the fall of Gaiseric's capital somehow, or if she knew him before he became an emperor.

Well i have mention that Flora might be the culprit that summon the four kings... who knows ? ::)

SexyCharlotte

UrashimaSenpai said:
Gaiseric was born to a slave mother, fyi.

Well since very little is known about Gaiseric from the pages of Berserk...anything is possible. He may have com from humble origins like Guts...but, again, that remains to be seen.

Well since very little is known about Gaiseric from the pages of Berserk...anything is possible. He may have com from humble origins like Guts...but, again, that remains to be seen.

I guess he is more like Griffith and so should come from a similiar background like him...

I didn't make it up...

Look up his actual historical past, he was born from a slave mother and worked his way to become the king of vandals.

I could see one of two things here:

1. Gaiseric is like Griffith up to the point where the God Hand ceremony takes place, then they diverge on their own paths, where he did not want to become a God Hand, but Griffith did.

2. Gaiseric is not like Griffith, and who knows what the hell happened.

As I am looking further into the real-life Gaiseric, it is really resembling the same Gaiseric in Berserk.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
UrashimaSenpai said:
As I am looking further into the real-life Gaiseric, it is really resembling the same Gaiseric in Berserk.
Once his half-brother gave him the title of King, he led the Vandals into Carthage and raped and pillaged the town for months, then, without reason, retreated.

The connections are astounding.

Also: "When the western Emperor Valentinian III was murdered in 455, Gaiseric reasoned that his treaty with Valentian was void"

Could this be "Void" ?!!?

Olivier Hague said:
We're talking about the character in "Berserk". _Not_ the historical figure.

Tell that to Walter too. I don't see anything wrong in speculating the relationship between the fictional character and the non-fictional one. And besides, Walter is right, at the peak of the Vandal reign, it suddenly collapsed with the death of Gaiseric, not a single trace of the Vandal blood, tradition, culture, linguistic was left since his death. His son married back into the Roman empire, and the Vandals had lost their foot hold in Africa soon after. It's weird how a great race such as the Vandals would conquer the greatest of all western empires, and fall and disappear within it's wound.

Top Bottom