The Passion of Christ

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost
Allright, I'll write a little more about this movie. I'm still reeling from the gore and the realistic, incredibly painful scenes of Christ being beaten, whipped, tortured, and put to a slow death on the cross.

Right now, my stomach is still queasy.

LC

Lauralana

That's Hot
Lady Sexy Charlotte said:
Allright, I'll write a little more about this movie. I'm still reeling from the gore and the realistic, incredibly painful scenes of Christ being beaten, whipped, tortured, and put to a slow death on the cross.

Right now, my stomach is still queasy.

LC

i think he was just trying to be realistic. Jesus did go through alot, and if mel was gonna do the movie...he might as well have done it right. I am seeing it this weekend...most likely i'm gonna feel like u do LC :)

SexyCharlotte

nir085 said:
I just find it oddly hilarioous that Mel Gibson even chose to direct a Jesus movie.

Why? He's a very strict pro-life Catholic in his personal life. It actually seems totally appropriate that he would want to do this movie. But maybe you mean compared to all the crazy action movies he's been in in the past :D

SexyCharlotte

Lauralana said:
i think he was just trying to be realistic. Jesus did go through alot, and if mel was gonna do the movie...he might as well have done it right. I am seeing it this weekend...most likely i'm gonna feel like u do LC :)

Well I agree with that. A lot of times people are like, " Oh God that was so gory," But in truth, we know that being crucified isn't pretty. They always get it wrong though. In this movie, they showed Christ being nailed through the hands. The real truth is he was nailed through the wrists.

As a kid going to Catholic school and being an altar girl, I just remember having nightmares about seeing the crucifix ( life-size, complete with blood and gore and agony in our church) and Jesus. I think I stopped believing when I found out the damn communion wafers were made by a church company in New York and not really 'from God' as the priest told me :D

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I find the whole being the son of God thing rather historically inaccurate. And look at that last supper scene. If you'll notice they only have water, then in the next shot there's wine in Jesus' cup! Ridiculous! I'll find more mistakes in my World History book later. Does anyone know Gibson's source material for this silly flick!? ::)

-Griffith

conan

Until next time...
I thought the movie was amazing.
It brought me to tears on four or five occasions and is probably the most intense movie I have seen since Black Hawk Down (which I can relate to better having been in combat in Iraq).

I am not a deeply religious man and I don't wear my faith on my sleeve; I do however live my life by example and try to exemplify the Christian values.

The flashbacks in the movie were well done and the pacing was excellent. No one (NO ONE) left the theatre during the film, which was pretty good for a two hour movie.

I thought the violence was, though graphic, neccessary. Jesus being tortured and persecuted as he was in the film was, thougth hard to watch, probably pretty accurate. The idea of Jesus being tempted by Satan the whole time was well done too (though a bit too "supernatural" for me).

What I didn't like:
The violence, while hard to watch, wasn't near as bad as the talk made it out to be...

It's terrible that we,l as a society, have become so numb that what I saw didn't really shock me like everyone said it would...

i thought the movie was awesome,

if you have Jesus in your heart,
this movie will make you ten times stronger for Christ,

if you are an atheist with an open mind,
seeing this movie will make you doubt some of your
doubts and hopefully point you in the right direction,

but if you are an atheist with a closed mind,
you will make fun of the movie and not try to understand
what it was about, the truth,
like pilots wife said when he asked her if he could see
the truth, she said you cannot hear the truth if you
wont listen,

anyways,
it was really awesome

God bless you

- c ;D

Bok Choy

100% Leafy Goodness!
Griffith said:
I find the whole being the son of God thing rather historically inaccurate. And look at that last supper scene. If you'll notice they only have water, then in the next shot there's wine in Jesus' cup! Ridiculous! I'll find more mistakes in my World History book later. Does anyone know Gibson's source material for this silly flick!? ::)

-Griffith

From what I know, Gibson was inspired by "The Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ" by Sister Anne Catherine Emmerich, a German nun in the 18th century who had "visions" of Jesus Christ's crucifixion (coincidentally in bloody, gory detail like the film). By many accounts, the book is highly anti-Semitic and implies that Jews are responsible for the death of Jesus Christ.

Here's a good blog/live journal with a lot of links and general information about Sister Emmerich and other sources of Gibson's inspiration for the Passion:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmhm/466061.html

http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmhm/438202.html

Pyotr

It is my destiny to lead
Bok Choy [Stir-fried with Rice] said:
By many accounts, the book is highly anti-Semitic and implies that Jews are responsible for the death of Jesus Christ.

It was my impression that The Bible implied that many Jews were responsible for his death...

Bok Choy

100% Leafy Goodness!
Starscream said:
It was my impression that The Bible implied that Jews were responsible for his death...

Depends on your interpretation. Today, I don't think you'll find any mainstream Christian who interprets the Bible as the Jewish people being responsible for Christ's death.

Anyhow, I think after the reforms of Vatican II (my Catholic history is a little hazy), the Catholic Church absolved the Jewish people of responsibility for killing Christ. What is controversial is that Gibson's sect of Christianity does not accept these reforms which implies, fairly or unfairly, that he may still consider Jews solely responsible for Christ's death.

To be fair, Mel Gibson did repudiate those criticisms and I don't think he's anti-Semitic, however, his half-hearted statement acknowledging the horrors of the Holocaust just fanned the fires. If he was smarter or less naive, he would just simply state that the Holocaust was terrible and Jews were not to blame for Christ's death. End of story.

Kart

Resident /b/tard
I felt nothing, some of the characters i hated, but it was only their personalities, the gore, I didn't flinch at, i must say this move has the best makeup i've ever seen, but, it didn't touch me really, the only part I liked was when he took the criminal in.

SexyCharlotte

Griffith said:

-Griffith

Probably the Bible. And a little bit of his imagination.

SexyCharlotte

Neo Genesis said:
Well, it's good to try to stay as close to history as you can. The fact that he was nailed through the hands makes no sense considering that wouldn't even support him, but...

Say, it's better than some stupid kiddie movie where Jesus is hanging from the cross, completely clean, a smile on his face, and children running around saying, "Lookit, that man knows magic."

Haven't seen the movie, I'm not very religious.

I'm not religious either, and doubt whether the majority of the people in the theatre were either. I think a lot of people wanted to see it because of the hype, quite honestly. I mean I haven't been to Church in...oh, let's just say...longer than some of you have been around :D

SexyCharlotte

If you're interested in a movie with subtitles, great special effects and gore ( which looked so realistic it had me flinching), and a pretty basic interpretation of Christ's hours before his death *that and His Resurrection), great period costumes and a gritty, grim filmmaking, check it out. It definitely isn't for everyone.

Pyotr

It is my destiny to lead
Lady Sexy Charlotte said:
Now that's what I can't figure out. Jesus WAS a Jew, after all.

Ok, now my religious knowledge sucks pretty bad so I could be screwing this all up. If I do, Im sorry. Anyway, its my understanding that the Jews viewed Jesus as a false prophet. So when given the choice as to who should be crucified, Jesus or a murderer, they chose Jesus because they thought he was a greater sinner. That is why everyone says that Jews were responsible for the death of Jesus Christ. Of course, the key word is "were." I don't see how it is anti-semitic if it deals with something that happened a couple thousand years ago. Other than some fanatics, nobody is saying the Jews today are still responsible.

SexyCharlotte

For those of you who saw the movie, wasn't King Herod a little...um...well, uh...weird??? LOLOL

I thought it was interesting how they had the uh, devil present most of the time too :D

Thats what will make this movie so controversial, Gibson has decided to make this movie as realistic as possible yet the audience are mostly christians and consequently generally not quiet desensitized then those who saw braveheart.

I find it amusing and even pathetic to hear about christians who have seen this movie and bitch about it saying its too violent, explicit or offensive for them to handle when his crucifiction is what they embrace in their religion above all else.

Im not religious, but i do believe the possiblility of jesus existing 2000 years ago seeing he is so documented, but all the storys of the amazing things he did i believe were probably blown way out of proportion. We already have movies and storys coming out of true events from but 50 years ago or less that are almost unrecognizable to how they really were yet we have such a better way to record events since the 20th century began yet things are still blown way out of proportion, so to take 2000 years of chinese whisper to heart crazy to me, still i might see it.

I found it interesting to hear that the main actor Jim Caviezel was struck by lightning twice during the filming of the movie.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3209223.stm

Top Bottom