The Passion of Christ

I think Peter Griffith makes a good point here, if Christ turns water into wine, and thats his own blood, ISNT he ripped ALL the time? Is Christianity as we know it all just one big drunken outburst of the most drunk man in hisotry?!?! I THINK SO. Or it wouldnt surprise me.

ps. go mohammed

Lady Sexy Charlotte said:
If you're interested in a movie with subtitles, great special effects and gore ( which looked so realistic it had me flinching), and a pretty basic interpretation of Christ's hours before his death *that and His Resurrection), great period costumes and a gritty, grim filmmaking, check it out. It definitely isn't for everyone.

CANT FIND THE ACTION FIGURES ANYWHERE

Do you know where they're selling the Passion of the Christ Action figures? I heard Jesus has a Kung Fu grip and comes with a packet of purple kool-aid for turning water into wine

somebody from yahoo boards

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost
Re:Subtitles and languages

windeline said:
Manga/Animated violence and gore is something I can handle. Seeing it done in "live action" and on the big screen tends to make me feel... eh...

That's the reason the movie was so realistic and grim. With anime or say, a horror movie, you know it
isn't 'for real.' But knowing that Christ lived in a brutal day and age made it all the more gruesome seeing those beatings on screen.

Hi_There

Born to be MILD!
Well, I saw the movie and I did like it.

I saw it as a movie and the interperetation of movie makers. Whatever belief they may have incoporated, its not my concern.

I could see how the extreme gore would obscure the message they try to portray especially to those that are not devout believers.

Its a movie, I like the cinematography, character reactions-even pilate(I don't really care if he doesn't correspond with historical fact) since its just a movie.

This movie is a human creation(inspired by the creators beliefs)therefore it's imperfect. I view the bible much the same way.

Mizar

Œ©‰Ž•·‚©‰ŽŒ¾‚퉎
xechnao said:
For Saint Elmo phenomenon I believe is not that important on being on top of a hill. Important thing that you have an elevated object that can act as discharger in middle of a storm.
Being on top of a hill is more an issue about lightnings. Correct me if I am wrong.

I'm not exactly sure about the details myself, but Saint Elmo's fire has been observed around ship and radio masts, airplanes and other objects of high altitude. It has also been observed around heads of humans and animals.

I think the top of a hill also counts as an object of high altitude, so I guess it could still be Saint Elmo's fire, although it might also be some other electrical phenomenon. An actual lightning strike as we know it seems unlikely to me, since the person in question wasn't really hurt.

By the way, according to the statistics every single year approximately 100 people are killed and 400-500 are injured in the US because of lightning strikes.

Mizar said:
I'm not exactly sure about the details myself, but Saint Elmo's fire has been observed around ship and radio masts, airplanes and other objects of high altitude. It has also been observed around heads of humans and animals.

I think the top of a hill also counts as an object of high altitude, so I guess it could still be Saint Elmo's fire, although it might also be some other electrical phenomenon. An actual lightning strike as we know it seems unlikely to me, since the person in question wasn't really hurt.

At the encyclopedia says also that happens around blades of grass or even in a duststorm. Anyway, I guess in this phenomenon it is not important a connection between clouds and ground-earth. This is why I think we can discard top of the hills. By the way, I've read the article, it says they were in Rome but doesn't mention anything about a hill or it's top.
Could be Saint Elmo's yes, because filmmaking technical services use electrical power, they have genitors for all that staff like microphones which can be charged. It was also raining if I remember correctly which makes it then, even more easy. I guess it was Saint Elmo's.

On a lighter note...

A Kansas woman died Wednesday after watching Mel Gibson's new film, "The Passion Of The Christ."

Fifty-six-year-old Peggy Law, collapsed during the first public showing at the Warren Theater in east Wichita. She suffered a heart attack during a climactic scene in the film, KMBC reported.

Just returned from viewing the movie and... wow.

I think Mel did a nice job. I don't think there has ever been a film I saw where I cried during the majority of the it.

Emotional and needing to seek help? Eh... Maybe. ;)

If there was a character my heart went out to(besides the obvious) it would have to be Mary. I would never want to experience the anguish and sorrow that poor woman must have been suffering.

The gore was a bit much... but necessary.

Herod was very ... odd.

And I must ask... What was the deal with the baby/midget the Devil was holding?

Winde

SexyCharlotte

windeline said:
And I must ask... What was the deal with the baby/midget the Devil was holding?

Winde

That was a mockery of the Virgin Mary feeding the Christ baby. Like a perversion of the Madonna and child.

actually i think, i could be wrong,

but it would make more sense that the devil
holding the demon baby was symbolic of
humans being born into sin,

a little later in the movie Jesus says
all is made new through me,

tie them together and it makes perfect sense,

iholla

- c

SexyCharlotte

10-4 said:
actually i think, i could be wrong,

but it would make more sense that the devil
holding the demon baby was symbolic of
humans being born into sin,

a little later in the movie Jesus says
all is made new through me,

tie them together and it makes perfect sense,

iholla

- c

I still see it as a mockery of the Madonna and child.

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"
I really must get around to seeing it. After touching the heart and lungs of a sheep when I was, say, twelve, I'm largely inured to gore. I need to test my limits now and then, just to keep up this mental toughness.

Man, Christianity ain't for the weak-stomached. ;)

Actually, Sparnage most of the more horrific incidents involving the persecution and execution of heretics was done by secular authorities-with Church complicity in some cases, and reluctance in others. Whether or not the Catholic Church agreed or disagreed was usually dependent on how much power they weilded in that district. The Church was just a little leery of getting its own hands dirty. The Spanish Inquisition(perhaps the most infamous one) was not entirely organized by the Catholic Church. It was sanctioned by them on behalf of King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella of Spain in 1478 and lasted into the 1800's. Also, the Protestant movement was as cruel or worse with their inquisitions-just look at the Salem witch trials.

In the true sense of killing Jesus of Nazareth, the Roman Civil Authority in Jerusalem carried out his public humiliation and execution. Jesus was tried by Pilate after the Sanhedrin tried him, because, by Roman law, the Jews were not permitted to carry out their own executions. It was Rome's way of reminding their colonies "we're in charge here".

I see, in any case it would hardly mean the catholic church has little dirt on their hands, one of many examples would be Galileo.

He was arrested for life because he stated the world was not in the centre of the solar system among other things which is pretty well documented, yet many catholics will not admit to this either even today.

In any case i just dont take them too seriously.

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"
I didn't take the Catholic Church seriously for a long time. Then I looked up the Catechism. Thing's gotta be as long as 'The Communist Manifesto'. Hell, longer! I agree that they were wrong on the Gallileo issue, but that was because alot of their outlook on astronomy was based on the writings of Greek Philosophers from before the time of Christ. The Catholic Church has taken its position very seriously throughout its history, largely because they've argued it so thoroughly. I still find it amusing, however, that they claimed his telescope was possessed by devils. Oh no! Haunted Observatory!Hee hee! I love beer....

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"
The Crusades? Mostly foreign policy on the part of the major European power at that time. Not incredibly different from what the British Empire did six or seven centuries later, nor from what the U.S. has been doing for the past forty years.

EDIT: Sorry if that came off as confrontational; I'm not saying their position is always morally right, just that their central authority kills a lot of trees whenever they decide to make any bold proclamations of what does and does not constitute orthodoxy. I must go see that film sometime this week.

Dont worry, i dont mind if its confrontational or not.
Are you christian yourself? Even though i mouthed off to the preacher on the other religious topic i really have nothing against them personally.

Herald of Yama said:
The Crusades? Mostly foreign policy on the part of the major European power at that time. Not incredibly different from what the British Empire did six or seven centuries later, nor from what the U.S. has been doing for the past forty years.

EDIT: Sorry if that came off as confrontational; I'm not saying their position is always morally right, just that their central authority kills a lot of trees whenever they decide to make any bold proclamations of what does and does not constitute orthodoxy. I must go see that film sometime this week.

When you speak of central authority's morallity bias do you mean that the simple catholic followers were just and morally good?
The whole society was ill and I don't see how catholics or catholicism has been any more good than any other religion.

P

psymont

i couldnt stay awake .... it was so boring ....

the ending was so predictable . . ::)

Kakkoii_Guts said:
I have a question for those that have seen the movie already. For someone whom isn't a "believer" is this movie enjoyable?

My friend who is like...as unreligious as they come saw it. I personally haven't seen it myself though, but I intend to once the crowd dies down. But anyways, he got to see it two days before it's release because of his brother who works there. X. x Anyways! He said "it was very graphic for like only one guy getting tore up" and that "the devil was in it." He still said he enjoyed it though.

Top Bottom