Griffith, Love, and what it means to make a "sacrifice"

B

Beave

Well, I know I just posted a different topic over in the speculation area, but eh, I got this on my mind too.

Reading some posts about Griffith and whether he ever loved, etc. set me to thinking about him-- he always seemed sort of inhuman, not showing emotions and what not, and obviously, with the eclipse, I've basically thought of him as evil.... I mean, evil in that very human, flawed sort of way, where you reason out everything, etc.

And yet, he obviously DID care about many things-- the little boy who wanted to be a knight, Caska and Guts, and, I think, even for the original Band of the Hawk, in his own paternal sort of way. Plus, remember, he even went back to see Guts and Caska after the rebirth to check and make sure that "his heart was clear of those old emotions and yearnings" (a paraphrase).

I think he really did love some of the Band, or the idea of the Band of the Hawk, and/or atleast Caska and Guts-- which was why he was so devistated when Guts left him... not because Griffith needed Guts to help him be king (Guts was right when he said Griffith didn't really need him to accomplish his goals), but simply because he cared about Guts and needed/wanted him to be around.

Basically, sacrificing something means you have to care about it-- otherwise it isn't a sacrifice. You're not giving up anything if doesn't really hurt you. Thus, the fat "count" way back in vol. 2 and 3 is asked to give up his daughter-- the one person he really does love. Or the weird Behelit looking guy that starts the second eclipse gives up the one last thing he actually holds dear-- the world he both loves and hates. And so for Griffith-- he had to give up that which he actually loved and cared about most-- Guts, Caska, and the Band of the Hawk-- otherwise it wouldn't have been a real sacrifice, and thus the power of the Behelit wouldn't have taken effect.

nir085

Horse and Armor
Are you blind? There is already a topic about Griffith and love....and it's only a few spots below this one on the "Character Cove" results page...

So put your comments there.

B

Beave

Dude, chill out. ::) No, I'm not blind, I did see the other topic. I simply felt the Griffith/Love topic was heading in a different direction. But yes, I did just move the discussion over into that thread. So perhaps you were right in the end. Whatever.

Top Bottom