Tribute to Kentarou Miura

maximus

Es ist einsam im Nebel zu wandern...
When i read the interview with Kentarou posted in vol.1 I felt like.....men this is a real crazy workaholic with huge god given talent and the will to move on!!
I mean since he was a little child he has been drawing and developing his skills.
Nevertheles he still finds the power and motivation to move on and finish things up and giving every night everything to keep style and story on the highest level.
That has to be love with all emotions that can be associated with it:devotion,dedication,passion,satisfaction,pain,sacrifice........
So thanx for giving us so much!!People should know more about u,the man!!

puella

Berserk forever
absolutely. i love Miura' s most delicate depiction.
He's a real genius.Having said that,come to think about many genius' life style. They are quite different from other people.
In a sense, an artist's life had been destined to devote himself to God since born. In reward for that devotion, he gets God's gift, I think.

They are quite different from other people.
In a sense, an artist's life had been destined to devote himself to God since born. In reward for that devotion, he gets God's gift, I think.

Huh? Well, I`m sure God appreciates Kentarou using the gift he gave him to produce a hyperviolent oversexed manga that mocks religion.

cthm

Good... Bad... I'm the Guy With the Gun
Huh? Well, I`m sure God appreciates Kentarou using the gift he gave him to produce a hyperviolent oversexed manga that mocks religion.

I know I would if I were God  :p ;D

maximus

They are quite different from other people.
But what is the difference then.Is it their diferent view of certain things,their tremendious willpower to go one way,their way until the end or is it just their god given talent that makes them special?
apart from that does everyone who is really gifted always use his full potential or is even aware of it?

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
But what is the difference then.Is it their diferent view of certain things,their tremendious willpower to go one way,their way until the end or is it just their god given talent that makes them special?
A combination of all these aspects. People like him are always seeking for deeper meanings, they consume as much as they can from other producers work, from people who they admire.
Secondly they have to be consequent. I reckon that there are plenty of people who end up with their ideas just fading away.
Third reason is just as you said: talent. You won't find anyone who can teach you talent. You either have it - or you don't. What someone can show you is how to realize your talent.
For me Kentarou Miura is the typical representative of the japanese mentality. Americans or Europeans can't pass them by - concerning attitude.
apart from that does everyone who is really gifted always use his full potential or is even aware of it?
I guess there's a bunch of talented people who don't even recognize the huge amount of talent they have. Another big part is just not able to realize it. like Albert Einstein said:

"Würden wir alles tun, wozu wir imstande wären, so würden wir uns wahrlich in Erstaunen versetzen."

puella

Berserk forever
you refer to many things which might be good examples of "...different...". Well, all I can say is it has too vast meaning to talk about.
Have you ever seen the movie "Amadeus"? I bet you surely did because you are an Austrian. I'd like to say my former post took an inspiration from that movie.
Salierrie(bet this is wrong spelling -_-;; ) is nothing more than an ordinary composer compared with Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
Mozart is absolutely different from other people.His life's totally devoted to God by creating and he has a genius for music. Salierre has always complained "why God didn't give me that talent?"
However God is impartial since God doesn't make that genius lead a normal life ever like other people. Thus i dare to come to a conclusion that "being different" should include two great elements of a natural gift and abnormal life.
and I bet surely Miura has that two.
I'm afraid it doesn't always happen. Some gifted person might not use theirs at all and not even aware of it.

bytheway) Wow, trapped soul, your post has the same quote with mine. and Your opinion about second quote is almost like mine.
Besides, the time!! we wrote similar thing at the same time!
What a coincidence! (it's just me?) :p

maximus

I reckon that there are plenty of people who end up with their ideas just fading away.
Third reason is just as you said: talent. You won't find anyone who can teach you talent. You either have it - or you don't. What someone can show you is how to realize your talent.
I guess there's a bunch of talented people who don't even recognize the huge amount of talent they have. Another big part is just not able to realize it. like Albert Einstein said:

"Würden wir alles tun, wozu wir imstande wären, so würden wir uns wahrlich in Erstaunen versetzen."
so there is another decisive thing:pure luck!
either u recognize ur talent by yourself by just following ur inclinations like for example drawing;
or u get discovered incidentally by someone who recognizes u at the right on the right place.
So it may happen that the talent sleeps in u forever.
But what if u wake up ur talent a little later in life?does talent fade with time or is it timeless and independent from any thing u face in life?

maximus

Mozart is absolutely different from other people.His life's totally devoted to God by creating and he has a genius for music. Salierre has always complained "why God didn't give me that talent?"
However God is impartial since God doesn't make that genius lead a normal life ever like other people. Thus i dare to come to a conclusion that two great elements of "being different" should include a natural gift and abnormal life.
and I bet surely Miura has that two.
I'm afraid it doesn't always happen. Some gifted person might not use theirs at all and not even aware of it.
That might be a perfect example u added.
But as i just wrote ,it finally is pure luck if ur talent gets discovered or  not.
Mozart for example has been brought(maybe forced)to music by his father who even used to practice with his little boy hours a day.Apart from that his family has ever been musical so he is also genetically influenced.(is that a factor?)
So it is first the great effort u gotta do:practice,practice ,practice,improving,improving,improving till u reach the point where training won t help u to get further.
thats the point where talent comes into play and helps u to separate u from others,in which way ever.
So as u already mentioned these people have to have the two things:Abnormal life and natural gift.
I don t think that only the natural gift would be enough.

P.S.:I saw the movie "Amadeus" far back in school. 8)

puella

Berserk forever
But as i just wrote ,it finally is pure luck if ur talent gets discovered or  not.
Mozart for example has been brought(maybe forced)to music by his father who even used to practice with his little boy hours a day.Apart from that his family has ever been musical so he is also genetically influenced.(is that a factor?)
So it is first the great effort u gotta do:practice,practice ,practice,improving,improving,improving till u reach the point where training won t help u to get further.
thats the point where talent comes into play and helps u to separate u from others,in which way ever.
So as u already mentioned these people have to have the two things:Abnormal life and natural gift.
yepp. So what about this?
there are different types of genius.
1. Mozart (very rare case): pure luck of natural gift + a few acquired efforts +abnormal life
2. other geniuses- Miura, Beethoven, Van Gogh...you name it
: partly pure luck of natural gift + practice and practice(or hardworking) + abnormal life
3. the 'ones' among ordinary persons (not find their talent even until dying)
:no luck of undiscovered natural gift + (ab)normal life
4.exceptional genius(special case)
: no luck and gift + only will to power+ endless acquired efforts
+ abnormal life

Actually No. 3 case can't be called "genius".

bytheway 1) Never do I mean everyone can be genius just because he or she leads an abnormal life and all the geniuses must do that. ^_^
bytheway 2) why on earth we can't see Guts with broken teeth?
Guts had hundreds of chance to have THAT teeth.
I think Miura's reality was skipped there.
I wanna see Puck, Caska, Rickert and Erica possessed as well. ;D

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
good point!
one of the two qualities becomes almost useless without the other one. and just people who were improving their skills and abilities up to the point of perfection are capable of producing weird things like... well... berserk.
define the term "luck"... have you ever thought about that? Who is lucky, and when, and... why tha hell is HE lucky, and I am not. Don get me wrong, i know what you're saying... it's just a thought.
Mozart for example has been brought(maybe forced)to music by his father who even used to practice with his little boy hours a day.
That might be true. Although I can't see W.A. Mozart, who is possibly the greatest musical genius the world could get to see up to this point, doing all these compostions (sonata's, operas...) without possessing the trait of being ambitious. (reminds me of griffith by the way)
I'd say the role his father played was a vansihing small factor.
Mozart himself was the one who made things possible.
Wow, trapped soul, your post has the same quote with mine. and Your opinion about second quote is almost like mine.
Besides, the time!! we wrote similar thing at the same time!
What a coincidence! (it's just me?)
well... you transcribed.    ;D
just joking. your posts improve over and over again. We really need people like you on this board since most of the apostles and admin's around here are so quiet (griffith, oliviér, ...)
bytheway 2) why on earth we can't see Guts with broken teeth?
would you really like to see that? :-/

peace    ;)

puella

Berserk forever
So what do u think,which type Guts or Griffith belong to?
These two are definetily different are they?
agree. they are god damn different from other people.
Assuming they are sorta genius, I'd put No.2 case on for both Guts and Griffith. They have natural gift and hardworking though we've not fully confirm Griffith's practice.
Mozart's type genius is very rare but it seems a little bit similar to Mozart and his father when baby Guts was severely trained for mercenary by Gambino.

biggerthanzodd

mmm...banana
Greatest musical genius of the world? Well, what do I expect from two Salzburgers? I prefer the Soviet composers myself, but Mozart is nice too. I think the reason for Gutts's "genius" is necessity. The world of Berserk is constantly throwing the worst of tragedies at Gutts-- abandonment by his father, the death of his mother, Gambino's abuse, life knowing nothing but killing, only person he loves going insane after demon-rape, etc. Gutts can handle the hardest of the hard, because that's all he knows and that's what he has to do to survive. There really isn't a good parallel I can think of. Gutts has acquired more of a feral wildness and animal ferocity that, in the other people in Berserk is repressed. That wouldn't be enough to tip the scales except for another factor, destiny. Not quite luck or talent, destiny requires total obeisance to a specific plan to obtain a goal, but the odds are stacked against either Gutts or Griffith being able to abandon the plan.
Miura's genius is probably a lot of hard work. Without a doubt Berserk is a great and substantial work, but by looking at the "Prototype," Japan, and even Berserk's first three volumes we can trace Miura's progress as a masterful artisan rather than a natural genius.

puella

Berserk forever
I prefer the Soviet composers myself, but Mozart is nice too.
Me too.
I'm into many Russian composers all the time.
Tchaikovsy is my first love and many years later I get to find Shostakovich my true love. Plus, three guys ,Khachaturian, Borodin and Stravinsky, are my another love.
The last love is Russian Folk song.
However my love for Russian Classical music never stop!

Puella, you do digress again! >:(

maximus

agree. they are god damn different from other people.
Assuming they are sorta genius, I'd put No.2 case on for both Guts and Griffith.
So do u think they are equal concerning that point?
Do they differ in some points of their personalities?
I myself think that they differ a lot!(news?)

P.S.:I never called mozart the best ever but without a doubt he is one of the best!

puella

Berserk forever
So do u think they are equal concerning that point?
Do they differ in some points of their personalities?
I myself think that they differ a lot!(news?)

P.S.:I never called mozart the best ever but without a doubt he is one of the best!
I'd just to say Guts and Griffith have the same genius type though their personalities pretty defferent. I think most of geniuses belong to type No.2.
And I never said you called Mozart the best ever.^_^
yeah, He is definitely one of top 10 composers ever.

maximus

I'd just to say Guts and Griffith have the same genius type though their personalities pretty defferent. I think most of geniuses belong to type No.2.
And I never said you called Mozart the best ever.^_^
yeah, He is definitely one of top 10 composers ever.
Didn t want to offend u just wanted to clear things up!
ur O.K. with that?!

puella

Berserk forever
Didn t want to offend u just wanted to clear things up!
ur O.K. with that?!
I do know what you meant on the board. Nothing offended me. and want to add something ~~ it was very nice to have some talk with you.that's what I've wanted here. :D

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
    Greatest musical genius of the world? Well, what do I expect from two Salzburgers
My argument has nothing to do with the fact that I am from salzburg. Mozart is indeed the greatest musical genius the world has ever seen. Other great composers like Verdi, Beethoven, Bach, Bizet, Tschaikowsky, Strauß, Brahms, Vivaldi, Haydn, etc, are a level below.
If you start to transcribe his work now, you won't come to an end till the point of your death. imagine!
I am not saying mozart is an exception because I like his music, most. It's just what plenty of prestigious and respectable musicians and musical researchers say...

maximus

~~ it was very nice to have some talk with you.that's what I've wanted here.  :D
i thank u and trapped_soul for keeping the discussion on a high and serious level.
I really enjoyed that one!

biggerthanzodd

mmm...banana
Please excuse me, I didn't mean to offend. I intended my comment to be light-hearted. Mozart certainly was a great composer, and many think he was the best. It isn't an undisputed fact, however, and I just wanted to bring up another set of geniuses-- Stravinsky, Borodin, Rimsky-Korsakov, and especially Shostakovich, who is my personal favorite. At some point, it really becomes about personal preferences. How can one really argue that Mozart was better than Beethoven? They both wrote prodigious amounts of music and changed the way every author after them chose to write music.

puella

Berserk forever
    Please excuse me, I didn't mean to offend. I intended my comment to be light-hearted. Mozart certainly was a great composer, and many think he was the best. It isn't an undisputed fact, however, and I just wanted to bring up another set of geniuses-- Stravinsky, Borodin, Rimsky-Korsakov, and especially Shostakovich, who is my personal favorite. At some point, it really becomes about personal preferences. How can one really argue that Mozart was better than Beethoven? They both wrote prodigious amounts of music and changed the way every author after them chose to write music.
You are absolutely right.
Wow~ I forgot Rimsky-Korsakov and César Antonovich Cui.
Proffessor Ape, so happy to hear that your favorite is Shostakovich like me. Which one is your favorite among his works? as for me,his symphony No.11. I want to have his all symphonies but can't get No.3,4 and 8. do you keep them?

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
Please excuse me, I didn't mean to offend. I intended my comment to be light-hearted.
It's alright, prof. I didn't feel insulted. But this is a very nice gesture. It's apprecciated!    :)
At some point, it really becomes about personal preferences.
I wanna stop that discussion at this point. I can understand  your argument... still, I believe Mozart is the exception. And trust me, I don't say this because I just feel this way.

P.S. Shostakovich is great!

Fishbomb

Fear the slightly white swordsman!
*excuse spelling of all russian names in advance*

Ah! Shostakovitch! I like him a lot, and Penderecky (but he might be polish, can't remember)... Stravinskij is good too, though I didn't really like his 'firebird' suite... But my all time russian composer must be Kalashnikov! Such rhytm!

Top Bottom