Molestation and the Catholic Church

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost
I recently heard several arguments from members of the Catholic church ( nonclergy) who stated that if the priests were allowed to marry, this would lessen the child molestation tendencies.

However, I strongly disagree with this. First of all, child molestation and taking advantage of young people sexually is not 'sexual' in nature. It is a sexual CRIME, to be sure. But if the argument that some of these Church members were true, why then would the priests not simply seek out, say, the services of a prostitute, or try to make their moves on older women and men? It's a matter of power, I think.

What do you guys think? Do you think if priests were allowed to marry, that this would lessen the amount of molestation that has been going on for ages, or do you think it would really make any difference?

In light of this, I remember a good friend of mine who was struggling with being feelings of homosexuality when he was in jr high school. He sought counsel from our parish priest, who in turn, told my friend that he would find the answer with God, and then proceeded to tell him that he would be blessed if he 'blew Gabriel's horn.' * I don't think I need to mention what the 'horn' was.*

My friend did not mention this to me til a few years ago. At the time when he went to the archdiocese with his complaint, the priest was simply removed from our parish and sent to another one, all too common back then, and maybe even now.

Im sure child molestation would probably go down if they could get married, though maybe the ones who choose to do that are not simply frustrated, but know they are not as attracted to women.

Perhaps if a small amount of the men who follow that path of a priest that are Gay or peds beforehand, when they agree on no sex terms they are following a richeous cause easier then the average person because they are too religious to come out and admit it and decide it wouldnt be too much of a sacrifice to become a priest because they are not interested in marrage, then maybe down the track they simply get frustrated along the way...
In that case if it were true and any married person could become a priest then molestation would probably decline rapidly

I dont know if thats true or not, but its plausible.

Kart

Resident /b/tard
I think marriage wouldn't be bad, I think everyone deserves love, but i don't think the rules should change, it's really not something I approve of, especially in religion, if priests were originally allowed to marry, that'd be fine, if not I don't think it should be changed, to many changes to a religion to suit today is a bad thing and makes the religion untrue.

From what I remember in religious ed.(years ago~), the reason priests couldn't get married was because their love/attention for God would be divided.

Please correct me if I am wrong. :)

Malf

You cannot escape YOUR FATE!
I am not of the catholic faith, as a protestent priests can get married but im not sure if they can have kids. I think rules like priests cant get married and people cant eat meat on this day and this and that are foolish rules. they are catholic rules that I hered were just made up randomly, its not even in the bible too my knowledge.

I think rules like priests cant get married and people cant eat meat on this day and this and that are foolish rules.

They may be foolish rules to you, but they may be important to those of that particular faith. ;)

Doing a quick search, I found this li'l link for you. It gives a brief explanation. Not the best I can offer, since I'm busy being distracted from doing homework, etc. :p

Why Do Christians Eat Fish on Friday and During Lent?

I hope that clarifies it for you.

Winde

windeline said:
They may be foolish rules to you, but they may be important to those of that particular faith. ;)

Doing a quick search, I found this li'l link for you. It gives a brief explanation. Not the best I can offer, since I'm busy being distracted from doing homework, etc. :p

Winde

Heh my mom just reminded me a couple minutes ago that I can't eat meat friday so I have to eat rice tomorrow. :'(

Ha! I feel your pain. :)

I totally forgot about it the first friday. It didn't dawn on me until I took a bite out of my very yummy hamburger.

Winde, God'll forgive me...right? :p

Kart

Resident /b/tard
No, god is an unforgiving unloving person, he is just and fair and unswayed, you're going to hell.

Haha! Well if I can't sway God, I can atleast try and sway the devil. :D

And if that doesn't work, I suppose stocking up on just about anything heat and flame resistant could help ease the pain. XD

Miyu

I'm smiling on the inside.
Lady Sexy Charlotte said:
What do you guys think? Do you think if priests were allowed to marry, that this would lessen the amount of molestation that has been going on for ages, or do you think it would really make any difference?

I don't think it would make a significant difference. My opinion is that sexual predators such as child molesters don't favor children because they don't have a wife or significant other, it's just that their sexual preference is different. It's like men prefering men or women prefering women, but the main difference is that middle-aged adults lusting over children is illegal and in a majority of the cases, not consensual.

Offering priests the options of getting married won't stop any pedo-like tendencies. It's their problem like how some people are constant smokers or drinkers. It's not a healthy problem, but sometimes they can't help themselves.

Malf

You cannot escape YOUR FATE!
No god wont forgive you becuase you ate a hamburger and not a cheeseburer, just kidding God will forgive you. Man Hamburgers suk but when u slap a piece of cheese on there it makes it heaven.

Aconyro

REVENGE!
Miyu said:
sometimes they can't help themselves.

I completely and wholeheartedly disagree. This is why people have free will. We are responsible for our actions. If a person cannot help themself they are insane and should be sent to counseling (and NO, god does not count). These people need some serious help. In saying that, I know that people are sometimes overcome by our emotions but I also hold to the idea that people (who are sane) use logic or should have been trained to do so (the untrained still need counseling). Therefore, I disagree with child molestation, homosexuality, and the misuse of sex in general for non-logical or pleasure purposes. It was meant to continue the species. Those who want pleasure can use their own hands.

The_Fetus_Ninja

Lets go, bub!
Oh i just have to jump in on this topic....
well the catholic church certainly has a colorful past from the crusades, to the inquisitions all the way to the media frenzy they've created today. personally i think organized religion is one giant manmade lump of refuse but thats besides the point here. (and i was raised catholic and sent to private schools...blech!)

Should priests marry? It probably wouldn't hurt. Lets say your having marital problems and you go seek a priests help... wtf would he know about marriage. Moreover, what does a priest know about male and female relationships that are more than plutonic. Sexually intimant relationships are vastly more complex than a simple male to female friendship. (unless hes a stalker and thats a whole different post ;) ) The priest wouldn't know, thats the point... and this is a person the church would have you look to as a consouler.

As far as children being taken advantage of there are a few points to be made. For one: Its not natural for a man to be with out a woman his entire life. (I'm not bashing homosexuals, I'm speaking of heterosexuals exclusively) Men have natural sexual desires to be gratified physically. Second: Men also have (or most anyways) the desire for companionship with a woman. Giving up that companionship on both the emotional and physical level stifiles our natural urges. I don't see it as a healthy practice and I believe it to be why these priests do such dispicable acts. We shouldn't deny our natural human desires, but at the same time don't pervert them to afflict the innocent.

I also see the priesthood as an attractive arena for pedofiles to linger. Its a large powerful organization that can protect its members. For years its had a "don't ask don't tell" policy about the priests that had complaints against them.. either that or it transfered the priest to a different part of the country. Not only that but young children are put in roles of service through thier schools and parishes (alter boys/girls) putting them within proximity of these people... bleh

It's an absolute disgrace...I'm glad I'm not catholic anymore..

and to all the guilty parties in the catholic church....Rot in hell you hypocritic bastards!

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost
I think what kills me the most is that the priests took advantage of their flock. They were in a position of trust, as spiritual guides and as mentors to their community...then to twist that around and abuse the power/privilege they had over young innocent children...well, now it's finally being bought out in the open. No one would even talk about this kind of thing even ten years ago.

Miyu

I'm smiling on the inside.
Aconyro said:
I completely and wholeheartedly disagree. This is why people have free will. We are responsible for our actions. If a person cannot help themself they are insane and should be sent to counseling (and NO, god does not count). These people need some serious help. In saying that, I know that people are sometimes overcome by our emotions but I also hold to the idea that people (who are sane) use logic or should have been trained to do so (the untrained still need counseling). Therefore, I disagree with child molestation, homosexuality, and the misuse of sex in general for non-logical or pleasure purposes. It was meant to continue the species. Those who want pleasure can use their own hands.

We are governed by our free will, but there are people out there who don't have the strength by themselves to do things they know they shouldn't. When people have certain tendencies and desires it's natural to want to fulfil them. Let's take the example of eating. I'm hungry so I want to eat steak, but if I know I'm not supposed to eat steak because it's bad for you. However, their is a nice juicy steak sitting right in front of me. The only thing that's preventing me from eating it is my willpower. If I have a strong enough willpower, I can get up and walk away from the steak, but if I don't, then I eat it. I think those who "can't help themselves," just don't have a strong enough willpower to really stop it. They probably know what they're doing is wrong, but by themselves can't really resist the temptation. I also don't think that child molestation is right and feel that others should have a stronger will to stop themselves, but if they're hungry and that steak is sitting right in front of them, it's really hard to say no.

Miyu said:
We are governed by our free will, but there are people out there who don't have the strength by themselves to do things they know they shouldn't. When people have certain tendencies and desires it's natural to want to fulfil them. Let's take the example of eating. I'm hungry so I want to eat steak, but if I know I'm not supposed to eat steak because it's bad for you. However, their is a nice juicy steak sitting right in front of me. The only thing that's preventing me from eating it is my willpower. If I have a strong enough willpower, I can get up and walk away from the steak, but if I don't, then I eat it. I think those who "can't help themselves," just don't have a strong enough willpower to really stop it. They probably know what they're doing is wrong, but by themselves can't really resist the temptation. I also don't think that child molestation is right and feel that others should have a stronger will to stop themselves, but if they're hungry and that steak is sitting right in front of them, it's really hard to say no.

So should it be punishment or "training" after "crime" or not?

ShinHell9

I started on here when I was like 14...
Miyu said:
yet it is more like if you had to cook the steak in secret...i doubt any of those alter boys shoved their ass in the preists' face, the problem is just that. heres what i feel its like, it's kinda like stealing, first you need to make sure you are not noticed then take the item, then hide it, then walk away with the item or yourself unoticed. the way you describe it would be as if the storeworker handed the item to you.

but this type of stuff has been going on since the 50s or so. They should have arrested the priests instead of transfering them. It's a crime and no child should unwillingly have sex at a young age with someone so much older.

theblakeman

theblakeman- your local pervert
I think pedophiles become priests because they want to escape their lust and they think a life of selibicy will help them.

ShinHell9

I started on here when I was like 14...
theblakeman said:
I think pedophiles become priests because they want to escape their lust and they think a life of selibicy will help them.
maybe also because the past 60 or so years they never cracked down on the priests, everyone knew it but the priests were too "holy" to be bad.

Top Bottom